Fairway use - distance club

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m looking for a club that is the easiest to use, best distance from the fairway, for a slow swing speed.
Not asking much am I ?

I currently use an Adams Tightlies II 16 deg 3 wood, but it’s been misbehaving of late. Next club in the bag is a 22 deg Ping G30 hybrid.
I play on a links course so it’s generally tight lies ( there’s an obvious reason to keep what I’ve got !! ).
Would the general consensus be to get a 5 wood over a lower lofted hybrid ? Or even a crossover type club ?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have a fairway wood, perhaps that is unusual? My longest fairway club is a 3 hybrid. I find fairway woods score poorly on my personal risk / reward index, and even the 3 hybrid gets used sparingly as I'm far more accurate with a 5 iron.

In your situation, I'd go for a low lofted hybrid (assuming you hit the one you've already got well).

You'll probably get a fair few answers saying that a 5w is a good option too though, I think this is a very player specific question. I'm sure some get on very well with a crossover type club too, but in general I think they must be harder to hit than a hybrid.

RichA

Visit site
I have a 4 crossover that is great off a tee, but a real struggle for me off the fairway. My 5 hybrid is now pretty reliable from any lie, as long as it's not in deep. Currently waiting for a new 2 hybrid to arrive.
I struggle with fairway woods.
I'm a highish handicapper, so take what I say with salt.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit your hybrid like an iron I would go for 19 degree hybrid.

For me hitting a 5 wood and hitting a 3 wood are not that much different simply because I, also, am not great with fairway woods off the deck on short grass.

Alf63

Visit site
I carry a ping G410 7-wood set to 19 degrees not the fastest swing in the world and it fills the gap between 3-wood and 5- iron quite nicely

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to the end of my iron fitting yesterday and had a little play with the SIM2 Max, 9 wood. What a club!

Glad to hear that as I’ve got one on order and should be here Friday?

As for the op I’ve also got a slow swing speed and I use a 5w for me it’s easy to use and it goes nearly as far as my 3 wood which is much harder to hit off the fairway.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you have a slow swing speed don't even consider a crossover/utility iron. I'd ditch the 3wood and play a 5/7 wood or equivalent hybrid.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad to hear that as I’ve got one on order and should be here Friday?

As for the op I’ve also got a slow swing speed and I use a 5w for me it’s easy to use and it goes nearly as far as my 3 wood which is much harder to hit off the fairway.
Was definitely tempted but then remembered I like being married ?. Might get rid of the Hybrid and 5i and go Driver, 3, 5, 7 & 9 woods when I next upgrade the woods.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.
I’ll wait until the new irons arrive and check the gapping between the 6 iron and 4 hybrid is what I’m after and take it from there.
As was said above there’s maybe not a lot of difference in trying to hit a 5 wood or a 3 wood from a tight lie.
And also the risk / reward percentage. Crossover club is off the radar too.
Decisions decisions ....

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.
I’ll wait until the new irons arrive and check the gapping between the 6 iron and 4 hybrid is what I’m after and take it from there.
As was said above there’s maybe not a lot of difference in trying to hit a 5 wood or a 3 wood from a tight lie.
And also the risk / reward percentage. Crossover club is off the radar too.
Decisions decisions ....

I think most would say there is a big difference in hitting a 5 wood than a 3 wood off the fairway, I’ve recently brought a high launch 3 wood and although it’s easier to hit than my old 3 wood I still hit some poor shots with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could never hit a 3 wood, and was a little hit and miss with long hybrids. Eventually got a 5 wood and I hit it well now. Then I added the matching 7 wood, and I hit that even better. So I would suggest a 5 wood or a strong 7 wood for maximum easiness to hit.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m quite a short hitter but I was getting about 165 carry, a ridiculous amount of height & not a lot of roll out

Thanks, that is around the distance I was expecting, I’m a short hitter also going to ditch my ping 5 hybrid never really liked the way it sat at address and I hit it left to often.

Diamond

Visit site
Last week I ditched my driver off the tee for a 3 wood and I am also taking it off the fairway. It’s a similar shot as I use the lime castle tee, I just need to only play it when the lie is good on the fairway as if it is a bad lie I do struggle to hit it well.

Tinkerman

Visit site
The coach I had at the time recommended I ditch the 3h I had and try a 5w. Tried out 3 or 4 clubs at the pro shop and found one that did want I wanted on every swing. That was the Mizuno EZ. As the name suggests, very easy to hit. Use it off the deck and tee with ease. Not all performed the same though so defo try out a few different options if you can

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I firmly believe that most amateurs would benefit from using a 4 wood/7wood(or 19° hybrid) combo rather than 3w/5w..
Most of us don't have the swing speed to launch a 15° club properly
That extra couple of degrees on a 4w really does make a difference.
There will be exceptions to that rule - but not many.