Fairway use - distance club

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In my bag certain clubs have a 'buddy club' or alternate club and the 3w is most definitely the alternate club to my driver (for use off the tee) so I wouldn’t consider it a fairway club in my mind
For fairway shots my 5w alternate is the 19 hybrid and the 22 hybrid is buddied up with the 5I

So all things being equal I’d be choosing a club from these 2 pairs depending on the particular fairway shot I face

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I hit three shots with the 5 wood.
The first I was trying to stretch it into the wind and topped it 35 yards
The second was from out the rough into the wind and I was pleased with the 170 yards
The third was from light rough with wind behind and I was happy with 190 yards

1621435124726.png

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my previous club my 3w was a go to on fairways, around my current club I seem to being a 2h (17*) far more.

I find the 3w less workable so favouring the hybrids massively.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could never hit a 3 wood, and was a little hit and miss with long hybrids. Eventually got a 5 wood and I hit it well now. Then I added the matching 7 wood, and I hit that even better. So I would suggest a 5 wood or a strong 7 wood for maximum easiness to hit.

When I first went to lofted fairways woods (after the club started to have very deep rough) I bought a 5 wood. Some months later I spotted a matching 7 wood second hand. I very quickly sold the 5 wood as I realised whenever I went for one of the 2 I was always going to the 7.

I bought it over 20 years ago and it has recently gone back in the bag. Put to good use a couple of times today.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
3 wood is long for me but inconsistent, so I was using a Srixon 5 wood which I could hit about 210 to 220, a lot of which was run.

Last week I put a Callaway Rogue Heavenwood in the bag. It has a 4 wood shaft length, a regular fairway wood size head but 20 degrees of loft, it is awesome.

It is not as long as the Srixon, but I'm consistently hitting towering shots of 200 yards which is all carry and I mean all carry (ish). We are talking 4 or 5 yards of roll here.

Fabia999

Visit site
I also have a slow swing speed (70-75mph) and I've recently bought a Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood which is up 2 degree to 17 so is playing as a 5 wood. The extra length on the 3 wood shaft is help me gain speed and the extra loft is helping me get it up in the air.
It's been a game changer so far, came 3rd in our midweek competition.

tobybarker

Visit site
I always top fairway woods so I am sticking with a 4-h for now, though even that is a bit hour and miss (well, I am, of course)