Fairway Protection starting next week at our place

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing worse than hitting a decent drive down the middle and having to move it into the rough. Might be time to put the clubs away for a couple of months.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing worse than hitting a decent drive down the middle and having to move it into the rough. Might be time to put the clubs away for a couple of months.

I normally cut out the middle man and hit it straight into the rough, so no change for me.;)

D

Deleted member 16999

We went to teeing up on fairways yesterday! It’s winter, don’t let it bother you, still loads of benefit to be gained.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Our all year round course as gone to fairway mats today.
Winter I usually shift over to another club for a knock as it’s full golf on full tees and fairways. It’s dry as it’s very sandy. In fact so sandy I can see it in the turf.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess we're pretty lucky for a low lying Parkland course. We have preferred lies on fairways, and mats on the par 3 tees (they're decent mats too). Apparently it used to be a very wet course before my time, but they have done lots of drainage work over the years. It helps being a very dry region of the UK, in comparison.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We went to teeing up on fairways yesterday! It’s winter, don’t let it bother you, still loads of benefit to be gained.

have just read the email again, and we can either tee it up in the rough or play from a mat on the fairway. hate playing off mats, might give the teeing up a go on our longer holes.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
have just read the email again, and we can either tee it up in the rough or play from a mat on the fairway. hate playing off mats, might give the teeing up a go on our longer holes.

I don't mind a mat, as long as they're decent. Helps a bit with the fat shot too, instead of burying the clubhead in the soft ground 3 inches behind the ball!:eek:

dgparry

Club Champion
Visit site
Some good quality artificial grass an old car number plate and gorilla glue i find makes the best fairway mat.

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think I could hit an iron in anger without contacting the ground. Wouldn't feel right. Rather have the fairway mat given the choice.

D

Deleted member 16999

what use does teeing up do, doesnt stop taking a divot
Not many divots using Driver for 2nd shot :)

Lot less divots, but still some.

Thems the rules mate :thup: I just follow

D

Deleted member 16999

do you tee it really high or swing differently?
I’ve been a member at our place for over 10yrs and it was the first time I’d encountered teeing up, previously I’d seen mats or place to side.

It’s horrible, the game becomes easier for a few months but takes a couple of weeks to adjust come spring. Much rather use mat.

Winning scores are normally mid 40’s for ind and low 50’s for 4BBB, all comps stab

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve been a member at our place for over 10yrs and it was the first time I’d encountered teeing up, previously I’d seen mats or place to side.

It’s horrible, the game becomes easier for a few months but takes a couple of weeks to adjust come spring. Much rather use mat.

Winning scores are normally mid 40’s for ind and low 50’s for 4BBB, all comps stab

something we just dont see down south, that said our course needs something, already suffering from too much traffic on wet ground :(

D

Deleted member 16999

something we just dont see down south, that said our course needs something, already suffering from too much traffic on wet ground :(
Our greens are excellent during the season and he’ll put in temporary exclusion areas close to the greens were trolleys are banned, other than that the head greenkeeper states he’s not worried how much the fairways suffer in winter as they will recover come spring, tbh, upto now he’s not been proved wrong

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our greens are excellent during the season and he’ll put in temporary exclusion areas close to the greens were trolleys are banned, other than that the head greenkeeper states he’s not worried how much the fairways suffer in winter as they will recover come spring, tbh, upto now he’s not been proved wrong

sadly our owner is still trying to sell every tee time at any price it seems, course is too busy and starting to suffer, a few of the greens are a little diseased too, time for pastures new in the new year :)

D

Deleted member 16999

sadly our owner is still trying to sell every tee time at any price it seems, course is too busy and starting to suffer, a few of the greens are a little diseased too, time for pastures new in the new year :)
Don’t blame you, we’re lucky that golf is cheap up here compared to the south and we’re still flooded with courses so no issues with over booking.