Fairway Mats

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seeing the thread on "Pegging Up On Fairways" and the imminent onset of fairway mats coming into use, reminded me of an incident that happened at my home course last year after the introduction of fairway mats. The ruling is that you can either play off a fairway mat or kick the ball into the first cut of rough and play it as it lies. Some members either forgot this rule or simply didn't pay heed to it, so the greenkeepers were paying particular attention to this and reminding players of the rule. One morning the head greenkeeper noticed a senior lady member playing from the middle of the fairway without using her mat, so he strolled over and had a wee word with her. She was most apologetic and admitted that she had simply forgotten to use her mat but would use it in the future. The greenkeeper then stood aside and watched her as she walked up the fairway to where her ball now was, and saw her select a club, take her mat off her bag, place it on the ground, stand on her mat and play her shot taking a divot as she did! :lol:

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
:rofl: should try that approach when we start playing from them this year. Always struggle with them.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seeing the thread on "Pegging Up On Fairways" and the imminent onset of fairway mats coming into use, reminded me of an incident that happened at my home course last year after the introduction of fairway mats. The ruling is that you can either play off a fairway mat or kick the ball into the first cut of rough and play it as it lies. Some members either forgot this rule or simply didn't pay heed to it, so the greenkeepers were paying particular attention to this and reminding players of the rule. One morning the head greenkeeper noticed a senior lady member playing from the middle of the fairway without using her mat, so he strolled over and had a wee word with her. She was most apologetic and admitted that she had simply forgotten to use her mat but would use it in the future. The greenkeeper then stood aside and watched her as she walked up the fairway to where her ball now was, and saw her select a club, take her mat off her bag, place it on the ground, stand on her mat and play her shot taking a divot as she did! :lol:

:rofl: thats brilliant! no-one could be angry watching that, love to have seen the greenkeepers face.

Mats are the devils plaything and are an abomination to golfers.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use them and after the initial expletive filled round were you can't hit a thing you soon get used to them. The amount of spin you can create off a wedge shot is unreal.

I play with a fella of 21. He struggles something rotten in the summer as he isn't a big hitter and therefore hits alot of woods. Put him on a winter mat and he's unstoppable. He's won our last 2 winter craic comp.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our mats have a hole in the back through which you can push a tee to hold it in place whilst you play your shot thus preventing the mats from flying off.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never heard of fairway matts before. Am I correct in assuming its a small mat you place on the fairway, place your ball on the top then play it, pick the matt u and walk on? Anyone got a picture of one, just out of interest.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a mats rule in winter.

Annoying but come summer the course always looks good.

We also have a chap who 'mysteriously' plays better in winter off the mats. His excuse, I like to pick the ball clean.

The fact he hits the ball 6" fat in summer has nothing to do with it :mad:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rocket launchers would be okay if they didnt have the curve. They sit the ball to high for iron shots.

I have a couple of the multi mats, but with the "grass" trimmed to nothing, work a treat and is as close to hitting off a tight fairway I could find.

D

Deleted member 17920

:rofl:Brilliant.bet the greenkeepers laughed at that for weeks

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The rocket launchers would be okay if they didnt have the curve. They sit the ball to high for iron shots.

I have a couple of the multi mats, but with the "grass" trimmed to nothing, work a treat and is as close to hitting off a tight fairway I could find.

Where did you get them from? I have one lot those really thin plastic ones and they are really poor.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

They have different degree curves for iron shots and woods depending on the way you face it, if you hit down on the ball the way your should no problem.