Fade off the tee help

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

The problem I'm currently most frustrated with is inconsistency off the tee when using either my driver or my hybrid 3 iron. 40% of the time I hit them straight, but the other 60% is made up mainly of fades, but also some where I seem to be over compensating and sending the ball well left. I can't get in for any lessons until mid-August and so I'm looking to work on it in the meantime.

The fades tend to be ones where I connect well and it even starts off straight for the first 100 yards or so, but then gradually drop off so the point where the balls lands well right of the target. I really struggle with this when the tee area isn't actually pointing at where I'm aiming, I can't seem to get my head to understand why I'm aiming across the tee, if that makes sense.

Then as I say, I'll end up trying to compensate by moving my left foot half an inch forward to counteract the fade, but then end up sending the ball well left, usually 10 feet off the ground!
Any suggestions?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That ain't a fade, that's a slice. If you slice some and pull others, that suggests an out to in (aka over the top) swing. The slices happen when the face is open to the swing path, the pulls when square.

Putting the ball forward sometimes makes it worse. The problem is often one of sequencing, so the shoulders move before the lower half, so the correction is to do with ensuring the legs and hips turn back to the ball before shoulders and arms.

A quick lesson with a professional could help sort it out. It will take some practice though, and will feel funny to begin.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That ain't a fade, that's a slice. If you slice some and pull others, that suggests an out to in (aka over the top) swing. The slices happen when the face is open to the swing path, the pulls when square.

Putting the ball forward sometimes makes it worse. The problem is often one of sequencing, so the shoulders move before the lower half, so the correction is to do with ensuring the legs and hips turn back to the ball before shoulders and arms.

A quick lesson with a professional could help sort it out. It will take some practice though, and will feel funny to begin.

Thanks ethan, I've got some lessons coming up so will see how they go.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would also suggest that you create a clear structure to your allignment from the tee, and avoid the area of the tee markers as well.

For example -

tee ball in the centre of the teeing area (if that bit's flat and clear) about 1cl back
set the club behind the ball square to target
grip club and take your stance, checking feet feel in line
final check that your shoulders are square to feet, to target etc
fire

for a huge number of high handicap golfers they pay far to much detailed attention to 'lining up', then have huge variation in their shoulders from shot to shot. One of the biggest causes of the variations you indicate through the mechanics Ethan's highlighted.

using such a formulaic approach is aimed at instilling confidence that you are lined up - eventually everything will flow naturally from the single act of taking your stance.

avoiding tee markers etc is to avoid things that will subconciously influence the line of your swing etc

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would also suggest that you create a clear structure to your allignment from the tee, and avoid the area of the tee markers as well.

For example -

tee ball in the centre of the teeing area (if that bit's flat and clear) about 1cl back
fire

for a huge number of high handicap golfers they pay far to much detailed attention to 'lining up', then have huge variation in their shoulders from shot to shot. One of the biggest causes of the variations you indicate through the mechanics Ethan's highlighted.

using such a formulaic approach is aimed at instilling confidence that you are lined up - eventually everything will flow naturally from the single act of taking your stance.

avoiding tee markers etc is to avoid things that will subconciously influence the line of your swing etc

Interesting.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

For example -

fire

That sounds like a great idea, I'll definitely try it next time I get out. Thanks for that.