F1 2022

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past.
Not sure about the actual wording but it's my understanding that lapped cars don't HAVE to be waved through. However, the spirit of the rules are that if any are waved through, then they all should be.

Apart from that, the rule that was utterly ignored was the one about bringing in the safety car. Masi definitely brought it in 1 lap too soon.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not sure about the actual wording but it's my understanding that lapped cars don't HAVE to be waved through. However, the spirit of the rules are that if any are waved through, then they all should be.

Apart from that, the rule that was utterly ignored was the one about bringing in the safety car. Masi definitely brought it in 1 lap too soon.

Isn’t the rule. They are either let through or not? And then the safety car has to complete an additional lap once any lapped car has passed it.

What Masi did was let some lapped cars through then pull the safety car in early.

Only one team were in support of Masi keeping his job as race director.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure about the actual wording but it's my understanding that lapped cars don't HAVE to be waved through.

''There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past.'' Michael Masi, October 2020

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Er...What rule/s was/were broken? Are you suggesting Masi cheated/was corrupt?
If you don’t know what rules were broken then there is possibly a suggestion that Masi cheated/was corrupt or just inept. He should be removed. CH saying he was bullied is pathetic to say the least.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Isn’t the rule. They are either let through or not? And then the safety car has to complete an additional lap once any lapped car has passed it.

What Masi did was let some lapped cars through then pull the safety car in early.

Only one team were in support of Masi keeping his job as race director.
People can argue all day but what you have stated is 100% correct

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
''There is a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past.'' Michael Masi, October 2020
Given his record, I'm not sure we can take Masi's word for it.

OK, just checked the wording of the 2021 F1 sporting regs.
39.12: If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW
OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars
that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the
safety car.
This seems pretty definitive. If lapped cars are going to unlap themselves, then they must all do so.

But there's also this at the end of 39.12:
If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message
"OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all teams Competitors via the official
messaging system
This unambiguously indicates that the lapped cars don't HAVE to be waved through if it is not appropriate.

My conclusion is that if Masi had wanted the race to end under the green flag, he should have not waved through any cars - which of course is exactly what he was going to do until Jonathan Wheatley bullied him into changing his mind.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Given his record, I'm not sure we can take Masi's word for it.

OK, just checked the wording of the 2021 F1 sporting regs.

This seems pretty definitive. If lapped cars are going to unlap themselves, then they must all do so.

But there's also this at the end of 39.12:

This unambiguously indicates that the lapped cars don't HAVE to be waved through if it is not appropriate.

My conclusion is that if Masi had wanted the race to end under the green flag, he should have not waved through any cars - which of course is exactly what he was going to do until Jonathan Wheatley bullied him into changing his mind.

I know what the regs say, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency of Masi

Tashyboy

Visit site
CH is pathetic full stop.
What would be interesting if any other teams echoed his thoughts. Somehow I think not.
Just out of interest ( and I don’t know) has Masi explained his reasoning behind his decisions in the last race last season.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The rules that were not followed, that ultimately resulted in Masi having to step away from that position. It was fairly well publicised at the time.
So you can't actually specify them! And are simply showing your 'bias' toward Hamilton.
Masi didn't 'step away' - he was moved by F1 authorities, something they are entitled to do and a sensible move imo.
If the rules were not followed, how come Mercedes's appeal was rejected?
It seems to me that some folk simply can't accept a 'not preferred' result.
Anyway...Back to this season - as per the thread title.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
So you can't actually specify them! And are simply showing your 'bias' toward Hamilton.
Masi didn't 'step away' - he was moved by F1 authorities, something they are entitled to do and a sensible move imo.
Please see the detailed comments that followed mine by others. Or, are you choosing to ignore them? If rules were followed, there's have been zero controversy and Masi still in the job. That was the point I was making

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

This has all been covered months ago in this thread.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

No one is going to bite at your nonsense. It's been done 1000x

EDIT: read 48.12 of the F1 sporting regs.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No one is going to bite at your nonsense. It's been done 1000x

EDIT: read 48.12 of the F1 sporting regs.
Notwithstanding that this thread is 2022 F1....
So why wasn't that that reg included - and accepted as a significant/catastrophic breach of the rules - in the appeal?! And that (why wasn't Mercedes set of arguments accepted in the appeal) will always my reply...Why, if rules were broken (by Masi), did the appeal fail?
FWIW...According to the FIA/Stewards 15.3 overrides/overules 48.12 (and, presumably, others).
Now, as I posted earlier...Back to this season - as per the thread title.

Last edited: