F1 2022

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting about Haas driver Nikita Mazepin. He brings in sponsorship money from his father, Dmitry, who is a billionaire with close ties to Putin. It looks like Haas will be looking to sever ties with him (or maybe they will legally have to with the sanctions?)

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting about Haas driver Nikita Mazepin. He brings in sponsorship money from his father, Dmitry, who is a billionaire with close ties to Putin. It looks like Haas will be looking to sever ties with him (or maybe they will legally have to with the sanctions?)
Best thing that could happen to Haas, as long as they can find enough money to survive.

In general I don't like the drivers that have seats bought for them. I know that includes Perez, Stroll and Latifi, and probably others. But at least those drivers are good enough for a seat on merit (well 2 of them definitely). Mazepin's been awful from day one. Actually, after videoing himself groping a girl and then sharing it on line, Mazepin's been an embarrassment to the team since before day 1.

greenone

Visit site
Best thing that could happen to Haas, as long as they can find enough money to survive.

In general I don't like the drivers that have seats bought for them. I know that includes Perez, Stroll and Latifi, and probably others. But at least those drivers are good enough for a seat on merit (well 2 of them definitely). Mazepin's been awful from day one. Actually, after videoing himself groping a girl and then sharing it on line, Mazepin's been an embarrassment to the team since before day 1.
They should survive. Gene Haas isn't short of cash, he wanted to reduce his commitment. I'm sure he can find the money down the back of the sofa untill they get new sponsors.

Swango1980

Visit site
I also posted this on the WW3 thread, but also relevant here. Motorsport UK will refuse to recognise licenses of competitors from Russia.

So, although Mazepin can race in F1 for Haas (although I believe talks are still ongoing behind the scenes), he will be unable to race in the British Grand Prix

greenone

Visit site
I also posted this on the WW3 thread, but also relevant here. Motorsport UK will refuse to recognise licenses of competitors from Russia.

So, although Mazepin can race in F1 for Haas (although I believe talks are still ongoing behind the scenes), he will be unable to race in the British Grand Prix
First Domino, I don't believe for a second that other national associations won't follow Motorsport uk's lead.

4LEX

Visit site
I'm a better F1 driver than Mazepin. Clown of a driver who only got a ride due to his Dad. You could put a bottle of coke in the seat and it would get the same amount of points.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm a better F1 driver than Mazepin. Clown of a driver who only got a ride due to his Dad. You could put a bottle of coke in the seat and it would get the same amount of points.
While his father's contribution undoubtedly helped, his 'qualifications' (eg from Karting) aren't all that poorer than Ralf Schumaker's - whose appointment to Williams was very likely influenced by his brother's qualities. It was likely a 'mutually beneficiaal' arrangement though.
Had he been in a more competitive team, I'm certain he'd have had more success.
And FWIW, I'd put money on Mazepin being a better F1 driver than you!

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
While his father's contribution undoubtedly helped, his 'qualifications' (eg from Karting) aren't all that poorer than Ralf Schumaker's - whose appointment to Williams was very likely influenced by his brother's qualities. It was likely a 'mutually beneficiaal' arrangement though.
Had he been in a more competitive team, I'm certain he'd have had more success.
And FWIW, I'd put money on Mazepin being a better F1 driver than you!
Mazepin leaves F1 with more spins (22) than race starts(21).

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Show us your super licence?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Amazing what daddy's corrupt billions can buy.

Haas took him for one reason only - daddy's money. Good on them for getting rid. Slimy little entitled scumbag. The sport is better without him and daddy.

Agree with that 100%. But you don’t get a SL without being a very very good driver.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with that 100%. But you don’t get a SL without being a very very good driver.
To get a super licence you need to accumulate 40 points over 3 years in one of 37 different "junior" formats. That doesn't sound that hard for a billionaire's son who can buy drives in any format. His pre-F1 career was medicore.

Is he a faster driver than the vast majority of people - yes he is. Should he have been even close to an F1 drive - on pure talent, OMG no.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To get a super licence you need to accumulate 40 points over 3 years in one of 37 different "junior" formats. That doesn't sound that hard for a billionaire's son who can buy drives in any format. His pre-F1 career was medicore.

Is he a faster driver than the vast majority of people - yes he is. Should he have been even close to an F1 drive - on pure talent, OMG no.
You do realise that in the junior formulas the cars are all pretty much equal? So it doesn't matter how much money you have if you're not a good driver you won't get superlicence points. Do you also hate Latifi, Stroll and countless other drivers over the years who have brought a large amount of sponsorship money in to 'buy' their seat? Pay drivers have always happened in F1, and for the lower teams probably always will.