F1 2022

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem is that for a team to come out of nowhere and surprise us all with something radical requires that they are allowed to think outside the box. The FIA technical regulations are now so prescriptive that nobody really has any scope for thinking outside the box - all they can do is tinker around the edges. It's a crying shame that we'll never see the likes of another Colin Chapman allowed to apply their genius.

That’s not entirely true, there is still plenty of scope for difference within the designs, even if they seem very similar. It’ll be something like the double diffuser when Brawn GP came from nowhere, just something simple that’s within the rules (or on the edge of them) which no one else has done and just happens to be brilliant.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s not entirely true, there is still plenty of scope for difference within the designs, even if they seem very similar. It’ll be something like the double diffuser when Brawn GP came from nowhere, just something simple that’s within the rules (or on the edge of them) which no one else has done and just happens to be brilliant.
I guess the Merc DAS system was an example of that, but it didn't really make a huge difference, and I don't feel there are enough loopholes in the tech regs for us to see another innovation as effective as the double diffuser.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess the Merc DAS system was an example of that, but it didn't really make a huge difference, and I don't feel there are enough loopholes in the tech regs for us to see another innovation as effective as the double diffuser.

I hope you’re right as that would be the best result for racing (assuming the regs work as intended). We will find out soon enough….. I’d be very surprised if one of the teams doesn’t stumble across something….

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Looking at the Haas, looks like there is plenty of opportunity for differences between the cars. The Haas is quite different to the generic car, will be interesting to see in the next few days whether the others have gone in a similar direction to Haas, or are thinking differently.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the Haas, looks like there is plenty of opportunity for differences between the cars. The Haas is quite different to the generic car, will be interesting to see in the next few days whether the others have gone in a similar direction to Haas, or are thinking differently.

I wonder how much of the aero stuff was digitally scrubbed from those Haas pics?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wonder how much of the aero stuff was digitally scrubbed from those Haas pics?

It’s pretty much just a release of their 2022 livery. Which is what all of the releases coming over the next few weeks will be.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s pretty much just a release of their 2022 livery. Which is what all of the releases coming over the next few weeks will be.

I got the impression from Steiner's comments that it wasn't entirely a red herring.

Anyway, I'm hopeful there is room for meaningful differences in how the cars are developed.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Plenty, I'm sure! No doubt there will be meaningful differences when the real thing is launched, but I was pleased to see the possibility of it being different to the generic car revealed last year

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see Lando has just committed to McLaren for 4 years. With a Mercedes seat almost certainly available in the next year or two, that's a big commitment to make. Always liked McLaren, so I hope the car is as good as he hopes.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Predictable - and the right decision imo.
I disagree. On the whole he has done a decent job, he just lost the plot at Abu Dhabi whilst under huge pressure. I feel that by removing him the FIA have admitted things were done incorrectly and so therefore something needs to be done about the result of the race, but that clearly won't happen. I think they could have kept him on but brought another co-director in alongside to help with the decision making process. Or have 'call takers' who speak to the teams so they cannot speak directly to the race director and try to influence his/her thinking.

greenone

Visit site
I disagree. On the whole he has done a decent job, he just lost the plot at Abu Dhabi whilst under huge pressure. I feel that by removing him the FIA have admitted things were done incorrectly and so therefore something needs to be done about the result of the race, but that clearly won't happen. I think they could have kept him on but brought another co-director in alongside to help with the decision making process. Or have 'call takers' who speak to the teams so they cannot speak directly to the race director and try to influence his/her thinking.
It wasn't just Abu Dhabi, spa was a complete farce as well. And was verstappens extra 'victory' over Hamilton going into that last race. I hope the signs of revival at Williams continue.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn't just Abu Dhabi, spa was a complete farce as well. And was verstappens extra 'victory' over Hamilton going into that last race. I hope the signs of revival at Williams continue.
Spa was a farce but it was within the rules, which Masi didn't write.(and which have now been changed thankfully)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What happened in Abu Dhabi resulted in many teams and other interested parties losing faith in the FIA. Something had to be done, and offering up Masi as scapegoat was the easy way out. For sure he ****ed up, but quite probably so would anyone else under the same pressure. I sort of feel sorry for him, but he had to go.

Incidentally, I believe cutting the direct radio line between teams and race director is one of the things that's also been announced.