F1 2022

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do the side pods contain any crash protection? I thought that the safety cell was just the tub.

The safety cell is, but there is also two side impact protection spars, one low down, one higher up, sticking out from the side of the car alongside the driver.

If I recall right, they were introduced after kubica’s smash

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The safety cell is, but there is also two side impact protection spars, one low down, one higher up, sticking out from the side of the car alongside the driver.

If I recall right, they were introduced after kubica’s smash
They were mentioned during testing and the Merc sidepods are right on the limit of the side impact bars.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I like the ability of the teams to vote to change the rules mid season. Sounds like if 8 teams vote for a change it gets passed.

Guess if there is something in this design, it’s got a limited shelf life....

Hard to see how the mirror mounts will survive. Maybe merc have thrown that in as something they’re happy to give away?!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I've gathered the FIA and Formula One still have to agree to the changes to get them passed.
My understanding is that Mercedes have passed all of their new designs through the FIA and have been given the OK. Obviously if 8 of the teams decide they want to see a change in the rules as set down, something may be done. However you have to laugh at Horner and Red Bull complaining of "spirit of the rules" when they have had flexy rear wings, suspect under tray aero and a driver who deliberately runs an opponent off the track.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However you have to laugh at Horner and Red Bull complaining of "spirit of the rules" when they have had flexy rear wings, suspect under tray aero and a driver who deliberately runs an opponent off the track.
Even Ross Brawn tried not to laugh when questioned about that yesterday, then basically said rules are black or white, something is either legal or it isn't. Someone from the FIA needs to have a word in Horners ear, he's becoming an embarrassing parody of himself.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even Ross Brawn tried not to laugh when questioned about that yesterday, then basically said rules are black or white, something is either legal or it isn't. Someone from the FIA needs to have a word in Horners ear, he's becoming an embarrassing parody of himself.
Question is..which is the "mini me", Horner or JS?:LOL::LOL:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I've gathered the FIA and Formula One still have to agree to the changes to get them passed.

They do, yes. Hopefully, in line with Brawn's comments yesterday, they would only interject if the something was being done within the rules which inhibited the ability of the cars to race closer together.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it’s technically about last season, but new series of drive to survive out today on Netflix. Bit of binge watching this weekend
Have seen the first 3 episodes, and Horner shows his true colours even more than in the earlier seasons. The man is just incapable of accepting the truth and slings mud around at every opportunity.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Have seen the first 3 episodes, and Horner shows his true colours even more than in the earlier seasons. The man is just incapable of accepting the truth and slings mud around at every opportunity.

With the amount of rain delays at “The Players”, should have the season done by tomorrow

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It got absolutely destroyed in a review on the radio this morning, called it contrived rubbish.
That’s exactly what it is. It’s designed to sex up “the show”. It has worked as intended to bring new fans to the sport.

It’s also had the impact of making some of the races contrived rubbish.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SAme here. Looking forward to the Haas episode tomorrow, usually one of the more 'entertaining' ones:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
So are Mercedes’ struggling or sand-bagging?? They are pretty far off the pace at the moment, so I think may be struggling more than usual.
Horner withdrawing his ‘complaint’ also suggests the radical design isn’t that brilliant.