F1 2021

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Brundle has come out and said it was too much https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/3...in-saudi-arabian-gp-say-sky-sports-f1-pundits

I would say I agree with what he says. Verstappen is a fantastic raw talent and a complete natural but that doesn't make the best driver. You have to know where the line between fearless and reckless is and in my opinion he has over stepped that mark too often this season alone. I don't think the behaviour of the team has helped and it seems to have given him a feeling he's teflon (non-stick). Having said all that and whatever the rights and wrongs of the clashes between both drivers it does make it an epic conclusion to the season. Lets hope it's won by the better driver and not a "racing incident"

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Scary that Max mentioned that he has more wins than Lewis.

He knows exactly how he’s going to win that title, hopefully if he goes down this rude the stewards will have enough back bone to ensue it doesn’t count.

Just finished watching the Grand Prix, if that race decides the series it will be disappointing

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brundle has come out and said it was too much https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/3...in-saudi-arabian-gp-say-sky-sports-f1-pundits

I would say I agree with what he says. Verstappen is a fantastic raw talent and a complete natural but that doesn't make the best driver. You have to know where the line between fearless and reckless is and in my opinion he has over stepped that mark too often this season alone. I don't think the behaviour of the team has helped and it seems to have given him a feeling he's teflon (non-stick). Having said all that and whatever the rights and wrongs of the clashes between both drivers it does make it an epic conclusion to the season. Lets hope it's won by the better driver and not a "racing incident"

We'll never know unless they're driving the same cars.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Someone also mentioned an issue last year with another Red Bill driver where Hamilton knocked him off as he was overtaking him - then there was the issue in the British Gp

Neither of which you watched apparently.
But don't let that stop you on your mission...

Take a look at the overheads of both incidents where Lewis was pushed off the track during this race, and picture, if you can, that the "other" car wasn't there.
In both instances, Lewis would have made the corner without exceeding track limits.
Now try to imagine Lewis not being there and watch the line of the other car (Verstappens). Ask yourself two questions.... Would he have made those corners and was he on the racing line??
The answers are "No" and "No".
I've posted this before, so I'll apologise in advance for repeating myself, but watch this clip below of Schumacher on Barrichello. Was Schumacher showing his brilliance as a driver, or showing a total disregard for the life of another competitor? I know that if Barrichello had hit that wall, (through no fault of his own), he would have been seriously, (seriously), injured, or most probably killed.
Schumacher was a brilliant driver. But he was also an arrogant cheat with scant regard to the outcome of some of his moves. Verstappen is his clone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Read an interesting piece from Jensen Button earlier. He thinks that Verstappen is the faster driver, and given a clean run with no breakdowns he would have won the championship by now. But he also goes on to say he’s not yet the better driver, and if he’d been more careful with the car he probably would have had 2 more wins by now.

He also believes that Verstappen and Hamilton are streets ahead of any other driver. He evidenced this by asking the question, “what has Bottas and Perez achieved with their cars.” In effect they have almost identical cars to Verstappen and Hamilton but are not even close in the championship.

Here’s hoping for a clean race on Sunday, and may the best man win.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d like to think that everyone, including those bashing him in here think that Max is an exceptional driver.

I watch F1, but wouldn’t class myself as a fan but for me Max’s eagerness to win at all costs this year making him cross a few lines which is taking away from his ability.

Hopefully he can grow as a driver and I can see him winning multiple championships.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That’s irrelevant in my opinion. Falling out with someone is nothing to do with nastiness.

He’s extremely competitive with a relentless hunger for winning.

He’s also a fair racer.
Not necessarily no of course, however when he falls out with every single one who challenges him, then there's an issue. Only Bottas seems to have avoided that because he's not seen as a threat

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There was a talk on 5live earlier about Hamilton and Button was talking about what he was like as a teammate and he talked about the year he had with Massa when they kept hitting each other - it was a stage where Hamilton was at where Verstappen is now. Someone also mentioned an issue last year with another Red Bill driver where Hamilton knocked him off as he was overtaking him - then there was the issue in the British Gp - so is it fair all the time ? Or certainly a lot more fair than Verstappen ?
It's quote amazing how the happy clappers seem to have forgotten all this. Had the same conversation with my son-in-law a couple years back explaining to him why I thought Hamilton was a d1ck. "All great winners are like that", he says. What, Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Lauda? Don't think so.

At least though he was admitting to Lewis' foibles, this lot think he's untouchable

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The break testing incident yesterday should have resulted in a DQ.
Ah, cos Lewis said it was "brake testing" then it was? Lewis was refusing to overtake, Max was trying to get him to overtake before the DRS zone, he was slowing, he thought he wasn't slowing enough, Lewis had tons of room to get past if he'd wanted to.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ah, cos Lewis said it was "brake testing" then it was? Lewis was refusing to overtake, Max was trying to get him to overtake before the DRS zone, he was slowing, he thought he wasn't slowing enough, Lewis had tons of room to get past if he'd wanted to.

Read the FIA report!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’d like to think that everyone, including those bashing him in here think that Max is an exceptional driver.

I watch F1, but wouldn’t class myself as a fan but for me Max’s eagerness to win at all costs this year making him cross a few lines which is taking away from his ability.

Hopefully he can grow as a driver and I can see him winning multiple championships.

I’ve bashed him because of the lines he’s crossed, not because of how skilled he is. I made a comment to HID on Sunday, she been a gp visiting spectator longer than me(40+yrs), is they both need to be sat down with the governing body and told to keep it clean.

Whoever wins next Sunday needs to do so ‘cleanly’ or their win will be tarnished with controversy and talk of cheating to achieve it.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

This is why I want to know the order of the radio messages. If Lewis hadn’t been told about it, then all he has is a slow moving red bull with what he thinks is a “dangerous” driver in it. They were well ahead of the chasing pack to not worry about them and he knows he has to finish the race so I can understand why he would be so cautious.

If Max had slowed right down straigh away and been all the way over to the right, then Lewis would have just driven straight past him. I think Lewis was least to blame for that incident, but depending on the radio messages, some of the blame must fall on the teams/FIA(Massi)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This is why I want to know the order of the radio messages. If Lewis hadn’t been told about it, then all he has is a slow moving red bull with what he thinks is a “dangerous” driver in it. They were well ahead of the chasing pack to not worry about them and he knows he has to finish the race so I can understand why he would be so cautious.

If Max had slowed right down straigh away and been all the way over to the right, then Lewis would have just driven straight past him. I think Lewis was least to blame for that incident, but depending on the radio messages, some of the blame must fall on the teams/FIA(Massi)

Hamilton admitted in a later press conference that he guessed that Verstappen wanted the pass just before the DRS zone but he didn’t want to take it then. Quite why Verstappen then hit the brakes so fiercely only he knows exactly. We can guess but we might not be right.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hamilton admitted in a later press conference that he guessed that Verstappen wanted the pass just before the DRS zone but he didn’t want to take it then. Quite why Verstappen then hit the brakes so fiercely only he knows exactly. We can guess but we might not be right.

But it was still a guess. If he knew Max was letting him past I don’t think they collide

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Because he wanted Lewis to pass and they were coming to the DRS zone. Of course I guess that's not the "guess" Lewis fanboys want to put on it?