F1 2021

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The "brake test" debate.
Max says he knew that Lewis was failing to pass before the DRS line. So we can conclude that Max was keeping a careful eye on his mirrors.
Therefore, Max knew that Lewis was right on his gearbox when he applied the brakes.
From this it's clear that Max is either pretty dumb, or very sneaky. I reckon he was trying to engineer a double DNF, because at that point he knew he was beaten.

Swango1980

Visit site
The "brake test" debate.
Max says he knew that Lewis was failing to pass before the DRS line. So we can conclude that Max was keeping a careful eye on his mirrors.
Therefore, Max knew that Lewis was right on his gearbox when he applied the brakes.
From this it's clear that Max is either pretty dumb, or very sneaky. I reckon he was trying to engineer a double DNF, because at that point he knew he was beaten.
I'll stop short of saying that is definitely the case, but it could well be a possibility, and one that would have suited him very well if he could get away with it.

The worst thing that could have happened to Max would be his car could not finish, but somehow Hamilton kept his car going. The best thing that could have happened would be Lewis was wiped out, and Max somehow finished the race. So, I wonder what the odds would have been in each situation? I'm guessing the front nose of Hamilton's car is a lot more fragile than back of Max's car, and so it could have been more likely that Lewis would suffer more than Max than the other way around. He also was pretty quick to accelerate away as soon as contact was made, it is almost as if he was expecting it and ready to get clear.

Either way, sudden braking in front of another Formula 1 car is crazy (outside normal braking for a corner), definitely dumb and/or sneaky.

4LEX

Visit site
A double DNF in Abu Dhabi would also hand Max the title buy 9 wins to 8. I wouldn't put past him trying something very sneaky again. It's going to be an amazing weekend.

YandaB

Visit site
Hamilton would not get a point for fastest lap if he finished outside top 10, so No.2 not correct
I did not know that, thank you ?.
How about Hamilton 9th and Max 10th with the fastest lap? I'm sure that we'll be fed all these combinations in the build up next week. Shame I'll not be getting to watch it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A double DNF in Abu Dhabi would also hand Max the title buy 9 wins to 8. I wouldn't put past him trying something very sneaky again. It's going to be an amazing weekend.

personally I hope Bottas wipes out Max ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Genuinely interested as to why that is, and is it fair ??
The point available for fastest lap is only awarded if the driver who sets it finishes in the top ten.

There has been instances where drivers outside the top 10 have the fastest lap, but they don’t get a point. Both Mercedes and Redbull have used their number two driver this way to take a point of Lewis or Max.

Personally, I don’t like it. It’s another gimmick to try and spice up the show.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All I want is the two contenders to have a clean qualification, no penalties for changing any part of the car and then a clean start and the best man wins (aided by a sound pit strategy). What I want and what I think will happen many not be the same thing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The point available for fastest lap is only awarded if the driver who sets it finishes in the top ten.

There has been instances where drivers outside the top 10 have the fastest lap, but they don’t get a point. Both Mercedes and Redbull have used their number two driver this way to take a point of Lewis or Max.

Personally, I don’t like it. It’s another gimmick to try and spice up the show.

Cheers me man, it now makes sense.?

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They had the Sky F1 guy this morning going through past incidents on the last day and also general discussion about Verstappen - his stance was that at times Verstappen gets a bit too labelled the bad guy but doesn’t help himself

He is put the slowing down incident as poor communication with Verstappen trying to be a bit clever when he was doing it but certainly no fault on Hamilton

Bit like you on the forum

Swango1980

Visit site
Genuinely interested as to why that is, and is it fair ??
It is to stop everyone outside the top 10 pitting in the last couple of laps, and simply going out with fresh tyres, low fuel and hunting a point. That wouldn't be fair, as they genuinely wouldn't be the quickest cars or drivers in field, but have nothing to lose.

So, only awarded to drivers in the points. Generally means they cannot pit at end to get the fresh tyres, as they lose all the position points. Unless, of course they've built up a big enough lead to driver behind them.

Sometimes, if championship rival has fastest lap near end, and a team mate of yours is not in points, they may pit him to get fastest lap. He won't get a point, but takes it of the rival. So, if Hamilton had fastest lap, and Perez was in 12th, Red Bull likely to pit him if he cannot get into Top 10 to get fastest lap and take a point of Hamilton.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The decision is straight forward for red bull they have to give the position back. “Strategically” ?
Meadows is too slow, in this case… and Lewis is not dynamic enough.. but it’s all water under the bridge muddied by DRS

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Oops. So Max didn't brake test him after all?

Few red faces on here after watching those, but I doubt they'll admit it. Damon Hill will be wrong, Paul DiResta will be wrong, Anthony Hamilton will be wrong. No doubt :rolleyes:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-saudi-arabia-incident-apology/

Now go find a list of people who did think Max was in the wrong, try to include people who have actually raced.

Find anyone who doesn’t have an irrational dislike of Lewis, that has raced in any series (karting on a stag do doesn’t count) and they will tell you what Max did was inexcusable.

But, I suppose the opinion of someone on YouTube using the made up telemetry based on the F1 app timing data, is more valid than the FIAs who used the actual data from Max’s car?

And the more you reference Paul DiResta the less serious I’m going to take your arguments.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Latest quote from Horner: “Max has been head and shoulders, for me, the driver of the year. He would be very deserving to win this championship. The way he’s driven, the way he’s conducted himself."
Crikey, Horner has really lost all sense of reality. Does he honestly believe this? He probably thinks Geri was the best singer in the Spice Girls, too. Is Christian Horner the Donald Trump of F1?