F1 2021

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Would it not be easy for a team to say to a driver, "If we tell you to conserve your tyres between the 35th and 40th lap you're to slide off at XX corner". Get to Lap 37 and Perez gets the radio call to save his tyres and slides off a couple of laps later. I'm not a diehard F1 fan so don't know all the intricacies to know whether or not that's feasible.
Anything is possible, and F1 teams can be very sneaky. Renault only got caught about Singapore because Piquet fell out with them and blew the whistle. But Red Bull cannot risk someone in the team with a grudge from spilling the beans, so they won't dare try anything like that. If anyone decides to do something outrageous, it'll be Mad Max himself.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm actually quite glad Max is in front, it means he should be out the way for the first few corners. If Lewis can keep him within drs range and with the extra speed of the merc he should be able to the overcut is likely to work well, assuming no one gets a cheap safety car pit stop that is!

Don’t forget Lando in third who will be starting in the softs too. If Lewis doesn’t nail his start, he could well have a McLaren alongside him going into turn 1, with Perez wanting to put the pressure on too.

Bottas could still have a role in all of this, hopefully he can stay close enough that when Max pits he comes out behind him. You lose quite a lot in the pit lane here don’t you?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the straight line speed of the red bull, track position and verstappens “robust” defence will mean he gets the job done.

A bit like the US Grand Prix.

Hope I’m wrong! But, actually, as much as I want Hamilton to win, if he doesn’t And verstappen drives fairly, he’ll be a worthy champion. He’s been generally brilliant I think, barely made a mistake. Red bull have done well with strategy too.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd like Lewis to win his record 8th championship, then retire.
Trouble is, who would challenge Max next season?
So I don't mind if Max wins so Lewis will still be here next season.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think the straight line speed of the red bull, track position and verstappens “robust” defence will mean he gets the job done.

Hope I’m wrong! But, actually, as much as I want Hamilton to win, if he doesn’t And verstappen drives fairly, he’ll be a worthy champion. He’s been generally brilliant I think, barely made a mistake. Red bull have done well with strategy too.

Genuinely, how many races have you watched this season? Or do you consider some of the incidents Max has been involved with deliberate so don’t count as mistakes?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Mercedes have had the best straight line speed in the second half of the season but Verstappen has countered that through the corners. Verstappen’s robust defence, as you call it, saw him get a 5sec and a 10sec penalty + being told to hand back track position for an illegal manoeuvre all in the last race alone. And he’s acquired 7 points on his racing licence through the season.

I hope today sees a clean race, and whoever wins wins, but a “worthy champion…” bullying cheat more like.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuinely, how many races have you watched this season? Or do you consider some of the incidents Max has been involved with deliberate so don’t count as mistakes?

Er, all of them ?

I count his mistakes as monza, quali at Jeddah and braking in front of Hamilton last week.

It’s pretty obvious to me that the other incidents weren’t mistakes, they were intentional (braking in front of Hamilton was too, but I’ve included as a mistake because it was so far beyond acceptable it can’t be considered anything else) but in any case, Verstappen didn’t gain any lasting advantage from them, although I think the punishment should have been more severe.

The biggest error of the season by either driver was made by Hamilton at Baku. Verstappen dropped a huge number of points across Baku and Hungary through no fault of his own. Merc made a big error in Hungary that cost Hamilton again.

I’m a big Hamilton fan, I was fuming with verstappen’s driving at jeddah and interlagos, I think the penalty for braking was lighter than it should have been, I think it should have been a 10 second stop go, but as after the race, 25 seconds.

But none of that really matters to my original point that has triggered your aggressive (or at best, patronising) response because even with my Hamilton blinkers on, I can see that verstappen is a seriously fast driver who would be a worthy world champ. There have been plenty that have won it just because of their machinery, whoever wins today isn’t in that category.

Does he lack class? Does he take aggressive driving too far? Yes and yes. Has he been mostly brilliant this season, yes.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd like Lewis to win his record 8th championship, then retire.
Trouble is, who would challenge Max next season?
So I don't mind if Max wins so Lewis will still be here next season.

The reg changes normally mean one team comes out at a huge advantage for the first half of the season minimum.

Hopefully they’ll achieve their objective of closer racing, but not sure it will be immediate.

Would be funny if it was a team that comes from nowhere, eg haas! ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this belongs here or in the random irritations thread.
We're on holiday in the Canaries and playing golf early pm. No problem, I'll watch the race later on All 4.
"All 4 is not available in your location"
????

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We're on holiday in the Canaries and playing golf early pm. No problem, I'll watch the race later on All 4.
????

Would a VPN help?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Would a VPN help?
Probably, but I've never used one and it's a bit late to try and figure it out now.
Anyone know of a simple free VPN I can install on an Android tablet?

I'm resigned to the inevitability that I'll hear the result before we get home on Wednesday and I can watch it. Any other season and it wouldn't have been so important.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
????

Im sure there are plenty of other options for viewing it ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Er, all of them ?

I count his mistakes as monza, quali at Jeddah and braking in front of Hamilton last week.

It’s pretty obvious to me that the other incidents weren’t mistakes, they were intentional (braking in front of Hamilton was too, but I’ve included as a mistake because it was so far beyond acceptable it can’t be considered anything else) but in any case, Verstappen didn’t gain any lasting advantage from them, although I think the punishment should have been more severe.

The biggest error of the season by either driver was made by Hamilton at Baku. Verstappen dropped a huge number of points across Baku and Hungary through no fault of his own. Merc made a big error in Hungary that cost Hamilton again.

I’m a big Hamilton fan, I was fuming with verstappen’s driving at jeddah and interlagos, I think the penalty for braking was lighter than it should have been, I think it should have been a 10 second stop go, but as after the race, 25 seconds.

But none of that really matters to my original point that has triggered your aggressive (or at best, patronising) response because even with my Hamilton blinkers on, I can see that verstappen is a seriously fast driver who would be a worthy world champ. There have been plenty that have won it just because of their machinery, whoever wins today isn’t in that category.

Does he lack class? Does he take aggressive driving too far? Yes and yes. Has he been mostly brilliant this season, yes.

It was a genuine question, I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was being aggressive ??‍♂️.

I was just trying to understand why people think Max is a deserving winner just for being fast, and ignoring the other stuff? But you answered so probably best to leave it at that ??

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was a genuine question, I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was being aggressive ??‍♂️.

I was just trying to understand why people think Max is a deserving winner just for being fast, and ignoring the other stuff? But you answered so probably best to leave it at that ??

Because your reaction was that my opinion was so ridiculous to you that I can’t have watched any of the races. ?