Eyes - don't take them for granted!

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seriously bad car smash years ago has left me with double vision in favoured eye(right)which I have learned to live with(and adapt to-over the years).But went recently to opticians where I told them that I was worried about vision when driving being even more distorted by windscreen (and sunglasses) was told that still well within safe limits,just be careful!?!
Jimbo

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great post Chris :thup:, I'm glad you got it sorted.
It's got me thinking that, although I need and use glasses for reading, I've not had my eyes tested since I was at scholl ............................... and that's a good 40 years ago!
My mum suffers from glaucoma so I think I'll get to an optician pretty soon.
Funny thing is, one of my mates is a qualified and practicing optician!
Cheers for the heads up mate.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good post.

A few years ago I had a routine eye check. The observant optician found a tear/hole in the very upper left part of my eye. Very soon after I was up at the hospital having laser pulse surgery to patch it up! All good now, but thanks to opticians for excellent work.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great post Chris :thup:, I'm glad you got it sorted.
It's got me thinking that, although I need and use glasses for reading, I've not had my eyes tested since I was at scholl ............................... and that's a good 40 years ago!
My mum suffers from glaucoma so I think I'll get to an optician pretty soon.
Funny thing is, one of my mates is a qualified and practicing optician!
Cheers for the heads up mate.

If there is a history of glaucoma in the family I believe eye tests are free if you make it known. It's a good idea to have a check up regularly as they look for more than long or short sightedness

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Good post.

A few years ago I had a routine eye check. The observant optician found a tear/hole in the very upper left part of my eye. Very soon after I was up at the hospital having laser pulse surgery to patch it up! All good now, but thanks to opticians for excellent work.

Lucky you caught it so early on. My understanding is that the retina is like wallpaper, if you get a small tear in it, or hole, the fluid in your eye can get in behind it and it then just peals off. One of the patients had the same as you but they fixed his with freezing the spot where he had minor tears - a different solution to the same problem, great result for you though!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Prevention is always the best cure Chris, thanks for the heads up :thup:

Whilst we are on the subject, have you had a finger up your bum recently?

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Too right Chris. I had an injury to my eye and am now at risk of glaucoma. What really shocks me is one high street optician chain's cavalier attitude to it all. I need to have annual check ups to catch any pressure build up as quickly as possible. I also have to make sure I get any new floaters checked out quickly. I asked to go to an annual reminder for tests rather than the standard biannual one and they just couldn't do it. And when I had floaters they gave me an appointment 3 weeks hence. Just not good enough.
I have since found a group of independant opticians who are absolutely fantastic, and whilst it's £40 for a checkup, they image the eye and can track degradation proactively.

Moral of the story, if you have eye trouble get a good optician!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Too right Chris. I had an injury to my eye and am now at risk of glaucoma. What really shocks me is one high street optician chain's cavalier attitude to it all. I need to have annual check ups to catch any pressure build up as quickly as possible. I also have to make sure I get any new floaters checked out quickly. I asked to go to an annual reminder for tests rather than the standard biannual one and they just couldn't do it. And when I had floaters they gave me an appointment 3 weeks hence. Just not good enough.
I have since found a group of independant opticians who are absolutely fantastic, and whilst it's £40 for a checkup, they image the eye and can track degradation proactively.

Moral of the story, if you have eye trouble get a good optician!

Look after yourself, a business partner of mine has glaucoma and has a regime of testing annually but his eye is pretty much shot. I understood that eye tests are free for anyone who has glaucoma or if close relatives suffer from it

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
I've not heard that before. My Grandmother has glaucoma in both eyes and is blind. I am at risk apparently...
  • you're 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma
  • you've been advised by an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) that you're at risk of glaucoma

I shall be looking into how to claim!