Explanar, anyone have one?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I had a go on one quite a few years ago.
Didn't seem to highlight anything serious on the backswing, but confirmed a tendency to get steep on the downswing.
It didn't feel very real though.
Bleeding enormous piece of kit, so not practical for home use imo.
The pro I use says that it OK for a steep swinger but for a flat plane swinger like me it's not so good. If you watch most pros, the downswing doesn't mirror the backswing, the club drops onto the inside & the plane flattens. The Explanar doesn't allow you to do that. When I use one it's weird. You look at it & the plane is there to see. When I swing the club the first couple of feet of the backswing feel fine. Then it feels as if the club is going vertically upwards, with the left forearm rotating clockwise. Talk about real v feel! When I try to swing like that I get some good shots but I tend to fall back into my old ways eventually. I think I might benefit from having one in the garden.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw a guy using one in a lesson to help stop his throw at the top and resulting slice.
Swinging the roller he looked superb.
After the 30 minute lesson, he went back to hitting balls and immediately reverted back to his old swing.
A waste of time and money.
I think if a training aid is to be effective, you have to be able to hit balls with it so you can see the improvement yourself.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve got one gathering dust. Was worth every penny at the time as no matter how much my coach tried to sort me I could not get my hand position right at the top. I get it when people say your down swing should drop on the inside but if you have an over the top swing, this would improve you and it can do an in to out plane. The weight of the rollers might also help you stretch your short swing out.

don’t believe the marketing though. It not a magic wand.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Plane Swing. It sorted out my problem at the time and was quite a revelation in understanding the correct plane. It made me realise that at shaft parallel in the backswing there is virtually no wrist break but by the time the lead arm is parallel and in what I considered a very short space, all the wrist break has taken place. The rest of the backswing is much more vertical than I was practicing and it stopped me getting the club stuck behind me. After that you have to groove it and trust it on the course. Old habits die hard.
It’s good for things like wrist set but it doesn’t teach you things like transition, shallowing the club or lower body movement. It’s not a cure all but I learned a lot.
I guess you have to remember it’s a training aid and all training aids show you the correct movement and feel of one or two parts of the golf swing, but not the whole thing.
That said, once your issues are sorted, apart from the occasional reminder - which to be fair is very useful - you are really done with them and it’s probably time to move them on.
So, if you are interested in one in perfect nick that has only been used indoors at a bargain price, you know where I am ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive been on one a few times with a previous teaching pro. I wouldnt invest in having one of your own.
I have a very handsy/wrist breaking early golf swing if its given a chance, and I found this hinged driver to be rather helpful, as set right you cannot make a full swing without keeping everything together and in sync.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a Plane Swing. It sorted out my problem at the time and was quite a revelation in understanding the correct plane. It made me realise that at shaft parallel in the backswing there is virtually no wrist break but by the time the lead arm is parallel and in what I considered a very short space, all the wrist break has taken place. The rest of the backswing is much more vertical than I was practicing and it stopped me getting the club stuck behind me. After that you have to groove it and trust it on the course. Old habits die hard.
It’s good for things like wrist set but it doesn’t teach you things like transition, shallowing the club or lower body movement. It’s not a cure all but I learned a lot.
I guess you have to remember it’s a training aid and all training aids show you the correct movement and feel of one or two parts of the golf swing, but not the whole thing.
That said, once your issues are sorted, apart from the occasional reminder - which to be fair is very useful - you are really done with them and it’s probably time to move them on.
So, if you are interested in one in perfect nick that has only been used indoors at a bargain price, you know where I am ?

Oh sweet your such a tease!