Short legs = One Plane

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't mind you giving my body size out Bill, only glad you didn't tell my weight 😀
As you quite rightly say Bill, I am a pure one plane swinger with my arms matching my shoulder plane angle, as per Jim Hardys definition. My swing is deep and narrow with the width obtained as the club swings up and behind me.

I'm pleased we got together at the range because my swing had become too narrow, with the club too far on the inside on the way back. By adopting a "Jason Day" rehearsal takeaway I'm keeping the club more outside and gaining more width. This in turn has led to more clubhead spead and greater distance.

This "Jason Day" rehearsal takeaway has become popular on tour being used by the likes of Ricky Fowler, Billy Horshel although I think it was Mike Weir that started it.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah that needs a bit of work...

So what would you say to Jim Furyk.....

Bills swing has got him to single figures so he can't be doing much wrong ?
The whole idea of the golf swing is to have something that is repeatable and that works, clearly that's the case for Bill.

We'd all like to swing like Adam Scott, or in my case Hunter Mahan, but it's never gonna happen.

I'll try to upload my swing so you can have a real laugh....

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Chris Wood is an exception. Very few very tall players about.

Sorry I disagree. Robert Karlsson is another example at about 6ft7 and there are numerous pros on tour these days around 6ft2/6ft3 and taller. Kuchar is 6ft4

You seem to have missed me off the list Gordon :angry: And before you try & wriggle, the word "good" wasn't mentioned in the original post……. :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

You seem to have missed me off the list Gordon :angry: And before you try & wriggle, the word "good" wasn't mentioned in the original post……. :D

Karlsson is 6ft7.....you're 6ft6?

Shortarse :ears:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Jim furyk does alot of things very well and can consistently repeat and deliver the club with great impact conditions. This swing doesn't and it has some pretty obvious issues which in my opinion would lead to a fair amount of inconsistencies but i suppose it all depends on what you call decent some people have higher standards than others I suppose. Just because you are a single digit golfer does not mean you are good ball striker, I have a friend who is a 5 handicap and is a poor ball striker by his own admission however at times has a pretty tidy short game, personally if I hit less that 12 greens in a round I would probably say I've hit the ball poorly or very average, it's a about what you perceive as good or bad.

Bigalking1

Visit site
Because my natural swing is too narrow, flat & too much on the inside, as is Jensen's, as I'm sure he'd admit. This means that I'm constantly battling against what I want to do naturally. Other, more normally put together individuals don't need to make so many adjustments. No matter how long I practice the "proper" swing it never seems natural & I am constantly slipping back into old habits without noticing, resulting in shanks, flat hooks & massive pushes. I really envy the natural swingers.

ill take the 'narrow , flat and too much on the inside ' and the 9 H/C?

"swing your swing" Arnold Palmer.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Jim furyk does alot of things very well and can consistently repeat and deliver the club with great impact conditions. This swing doesn't and it has some pretty obvious issues which in my opinion would lead to a fair amount of inconsistencies but i suppose it all depends on what you call decent some people have higher standards than others I suppose. Just because you are a single digit golfer does not mean you are good ball striker, I have a friend who is a 5 handicap and is a poor ball striker by his own admission however at times has a pretty tidy short game, personally if I hit less that 12 greens in a round I would probably say I've hit the ball poorly or very average, it's a about what you perceive as good or bad.

I'm not able to tell from one poor quality video clip how repeatable the swing is. For all I know, every shot may be the same shape and flight and it is shorter game issues or course management that are holding MiB handicap wise.

I take my hat off to you being able to work out your conclusions from one video :thup: