Exceptional scores.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per another thread, I had a really good score today - which raises some queries.

My Handicap Index is 16.5. I've calculated today's Score Differential at 9.2 - therefore -7.3 lower than handicap. The new average of my best 8 score differentials now drops to 15.3.

So questions ...
a) In my case, is it an exceptional score? Will I get the additional -1 reduction on handicap index (ie down to 14.3)?
b) Generally, does the software automatically add that adjustment? Does it get done overnight?
c) More importantly, what happens in future? How are any future Indexes calculated after they've been adjusted?

For example - say, over the next few games, I lose some of my best 8 scores and the average goes up - let's say to the best 8 now average 17. How is the -1 adjustment accounted for? How long does the -1 adjustment stay as an adjustment - ie when will ones index revert to the simple average of the best 8? Does it ever revert?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If an exceptional score reduction is due then Yes the WHS software will automatically calculate it. As Inunderstand it, this is done by reducing all of your last 20 score differentials by 1. So it will continue to effect your HI until all 20 scores have dropped off.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If an exceptional score reduction is due then Yes the WHS software will automatically calculate it. As Inunderstand it, this is done by reducing all of your last 20 score differentials by 1. So it will continue to effect your HI until all 20 scores have dropped off.
Ahh !
Seems you're correct. Was just going to take a screenshot of my record before it changed (so I could compare) - and whilst the new score is not yet highlighted as one of the best 8, the recent 20 have indeed all dropped by 1.