Europeans Team Comp - Men and Ladies

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say the date probably works, brings media exposure to a tournament that would be ignored if it was just Men and potentially bypasses an issue if the top pros don't show for it. Allows them to effectively try it and hope it gains in popularity.

I'm not sure if LiverpoolPhil is being sarcastic or not, but I'd quite like the fact that there will be a few of these events. Both hope to attend one in future but as a change from the week in week out strokeplay comps. Although personally I'd like it most if presidents cup was a mixed matchplay.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice to see a mention within the article about Meghan MacLaren from our club who won her first LET event last week :thup:

Shame she just missed out on her US LPGA card though - she won 14,264 (Euros I think) and Michelle Wie won $225,000!

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd say the date probably works, brings media exposure to a tournament that would be ignored if it was just Men and potentially bypasses an issue if the top pros don't show for it. Allows them to effectively try it and hope it gains in popularity.

I'm not sure if LiverpoolPhil is being sarcastic or not, but I'd quite like the fact that there will be a few of these events. Both hope to attend one in future but as a change from the week in week out strokeplay comps. Although personally I'd like it most if presidents cup was a mixed matchplay.

Why would I be sarcastic?

Here is more on the event

The good news is it’s being broadcast on the BBC

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/...7.1616498763.1517331171-2088760969.1434995498

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A good move although it would have been nice to try and get a few of the higher ranked ET players involved but I imagine many will be in US at the USPGA. It's definitely got potential and I hope it is a success and can grow in the next few years

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
To honest, I got sidetracked by the end of the article that says the ET is going to stage an event in Saudi Arabia. A truly disgraceful decision and yet another organisation putting £££ over women’s human rights.

Sneaking that out on international women’s day alongside this mixed team announcement..... :sbox:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
FD, let's look at it another way. Hopefully, by going over there we can try to show the Saudi's the way forward. If I was in charge of the ET I would be getting as many female employees as possible and sending them over to Saudi as ET representatives, with NO compromises. By embracing countries with poor records maybe we can help them to make changes. Apparently the new King / Prince is making some baby steps towards change although it is clearly going to be a slow process.

The reality is that whole region is not great in its attitude towards women, there and many other places that golf goes to. If sport only went to 'nice' places it would be very limited.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
FD, let's look at it another way. Hopefully, by going over there we can try to show the Saudi's the way forward. If I was in charge of the ET I would be getting as many female employees as possible and sending them over to Saudi as ET representatives, with NO compromises. By embracing countries with poor records maybe we can help them to make changes. Apparently the new King / Prince is making some baby steps towards change although it is clearly going to be a slow process.

The reality is that whole region is not great in its attitude towards women, there and many other places that golf goes to. If sport only went to 'nice' places it would be very limited.

Why would any woman choose to go there? If my employer wanted to send me I'd be looking at constructive dismissal.

The whole region is terrible but only one country, as far as I know, enslaves half the population. They should be international pariahs in all senses but, sadly, money talks.