European weekend city break....suggestions ???

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi lads and lasses , my GF's birthday is in March and i would like to take her away for a weekend city break somewhere in Europe . I'd like to travel by Eurostar although any transport would suffice.

Anyone have any good suggestions from experience ?

Cheers

Paul

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Paris although it may be seen as a bit of a cliche and is frankly overpriced. I quite like Brussels (lots to see and good beer). Failing that a cheap flight and somewhere like Barcelona would be good.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Flights are cheap to Barca but nothing is when you get there.

Prague or Krakow are both worth a visit.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was in Paris recently, hadnt been for years, unless you have money to throw away for the best hotels and resturants its no longer worth the money. The attractions are one thing but I found the local eateries, dirty, overpriced and service very very bad, I found the streets filthy and was inundated with beggars with their little note for you to read (English on one side german on the other lol) Turks were everywhere. I really dont want to go there again, tried 8 hotels 2star 3 star, they were overpriced and dirty, ended up paying over the odds for the cleanest one, a 3 star that was like a no star UK B&B.

If I were you and you want to stay in Paris stay on the outskirts. If you want good places to see in europe, here is a list of places I found great for scenery, good grub and fun stuff to do, but will depend on your will to travel.

Arhus in Denmark.
Amsterdam of course.
Cochem near Koblenz Germany
Fussen Germany
Garmisch Partenkirchen Germany
Venice
Avezzano area Italy
Traunsee near Saltzberg Austria

Hope that gives you some thoughts but not sure what type of weekend your after, it wouldnt have anything to do with things like the Reeperbahn Hamburg or the windows in Amsterdam would it? lol.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope that gives you some thoughts but not sure what type of weekend your after, it wouldnt have anything to do with things like the Reeperbahn Hamburg or the windows in Amsterdam would it? lol.

Its for the GF's birthday.....not sure she'd appreciate those two area's :D

Thanks for the tips so far , chaps .

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My best mate took his ex to barcelona for a cheap weekend away, Cost him £2500 :D

The transferes cost him £250 in a cab, the lads now call him 'Taxi'

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would agree with what Herb said about Paris- I couldn't believe how run down many of the areas were but what large city does not have places like this now?. I am though crucially not talking about the cheap back streets, whilst some places are beautiful, many are really quite awful.

Amsterdam doesn't have to mean the red light district and I really enjoyed my visit there, with things such as Ann Fanks house and the Ajak arena to visit. The sex industry is apparent everywhere though, its pretty much unavoidable in to be honest! So it maybe not what you are after.

Dublin is always good for a short break, and even though I have never been there myself everyone seems to love prague.

You have quite a few to choose from so much depends on your criteria... Sightseeing? Shopping? Cultural experience? Romance? Relaxation? Club scene? Or a bit of all 6 ? ;)

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rome is worth a look been twice, don't go in the height of summer but March should be fine.

Plenty of sights just avoid buying food or drink near them as like most tourist traps it can be expensive.

Oh and avoid the bus station at night unless you want to see italian drug addicts

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would agree with what Herb said about Paris- I couldn't believe how run down many of the areas were but what large city does not have places like this now?. I am though crucially not talking about the cheap back streets, whilst some places are beautiful, many are really quite awful.

Amsterdam doesn't have to mean the red light district and I really enjoyed my visit there, with things such as Ann Fanks house and the Ajak arena to visit. The sex industry is apparent everywhere though, its pretty much unavoidable in to be honest! So it maybe not what you are after.

Dublin is always good for a short break, and even though I have never been there myself everyone seems to love prague.

You have quite a few to choose from so much depends on your criteria... Sightseeing? Shopping? Cultural experience? Romance? Relaxation? Club scene? Or a bit of all 6 ? ;)

Being in agreement is a good feeling, I found the famous attractions in Paris wonderful, Louvre/Notre dame Arc de triumph etc but Paris as a city felt so grubby and so ill mannered and so bloody expensive, the above post is right, London knocks paris into a cocked hat. I went to Paris in the very early 80s and it was nothing like it is now.
I had a fantastic time in Amstaerdam as you did there is a lot to offer from that city, just ignore the naughty bits you may find in 3 or 4 spots and you can have a great time.
I know Dublin quite well and it is well worth a visit, though I worked over there for an Irish company for a number of years and got used to it and found other more obscure places to have a great time, but Dublin is a great City. Isle of Man is worth it too, out of racing season its quiet and rather quaint,with lots of history, in race seasons its lively and great fun. As you said its all about what your looking for.