European Super League

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they are part of the FA/PL and enter their competitions they are expected to abide by the rules, they don’t have the authority or right to pick and choose what they play! ie, The winners of the PL are entered into the following seasons CL, the 6 have no right to turn around and say, “no thanks we’ll pick and choose which rules we abide by and which we ignore.

They expected everybody to roll over and be thankful! And it seems you are the only person in the Country defending them!
Interesting. So when Man United didn’t play in the FA Cup didn’t they pick and choose then?
No-one expected anyone to be thankful. You really need to stop making things up. And I am not defending them. I am simply arguing you can’t punish someone when they haven’t broken any rules or laws.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I may be wrong but didn’t their statements say they had signed letters of intent to join the ESL? If so, intending to break a rule is not the same as breaking one.

No idea. According to one report I read today the clubs had signed contracts to join the league and they weren't allowed to leave it for the first three years. I guess it will come down to what the paperwork says.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. So when Man United didn’t play in the FA Cup didn’t they pick and choose then?
No-one expected anyone to be thankful. You really need to stop making things up. And I am not defending them. I am simply arguing you can’t punish someone when they haven’t broken any rules or laws.

They had to get permission to leave for that season

And tbh the fa should have had the guts to say if you go you can never return

D

Deleted member 16999

Were have I said they have broken any rules or laws?

As for United, that was an agreement with the FA, nothing to do with the PL, but good effort, apparently it’s me making things up!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were have I said they have broken any rules or laws?

As for United, that was an agreement with the FA, nothing to do with the PL, but good effort, apparently it’s me making things up!
As you well know, you said that by being part of the PL you are expected to take part in the other competitions whether you like it or not. So the Man U FA Cup scenario was legitimate. I’d say good effort, but it really wasn’t.
TBH, I am tired of arguing with you. I hoped after last time it might be different but you’d argue with yourself if you didn’t have this forum to do the job for you. You answered right from the off by telling me I didn’t understand how the Premier League worked. No nuance, no reasonable point, just straight out with an insult.
You are clearly over emotional about something that isn’t even going to happen. So if you don’t mind and even if you do, I am just going to ignore you. Bye.

D

Deleted member 16999

As you well know, you said that by being part of the PL you are expected to take part in the other competitions whether you like it or not. So the Man U FA Cup scenario was legitimate. I’d say good effort, but it really wasn’t.
TBH, I am tired of arguing with you. I hoped after last time it might be different but you’d argue with yourself if you didn’t have this forum to do the job for you. You answered right from the off by telling me I didn’t understand how the Premier League worked. No nuance, no reasonable point, just straight out with an insult.
You are clearly over emotional about something that isn’t even going to happen. So if you don’t mind and even if you do, I am just going to ignore you. Bye.
What a cop out, argument or discussion? Personally, as I’ve stated countless times on here if you don’t want a response from me don’t quote my post because I believe it is good manners to respond to those directly speaking to me, no different if we were talking face to face, the only ones I won’t respond to are those I have on ignore.

I have pointed out fact after fact and you kept changing tac, even now with the points about me saying the facts over rule breaks need to be established and the Man Utd point you fail to accept the fact, despite another poster putting you straight as well.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s a bit off topic but it’s often overlooked that Man U were asked not to take part, so kicking them out for not playing would have been harsh.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 36288

Without written permission @Sweep they have broken rule L9
Quite possibly. Unless they just intended to join / enter by signing a letter of intent but didn’t actually join / enter. We will see.
I doubt they weren’t aware of L9 so if it had gone ahead they must have been ready for some sanction. It’s certainly hard to believe they thought they would be given everything so they must have thought it was going to be worth it

D

Deleted member 16999

It was the FA who made the agreement with them not to enter the FA Cup.

I can’t see anyway Utd would of made the agreement and then accepted a punishment off them.(y)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite possibly. Unless they just intended to join / enter by signing a letter of intent but didn’t actually join / enter. We will see.
I doubt they weren’t aware of L9 so if it had gone ahead they must have been ready for some sanction. It’s certainly hard to believe they thought they would be given everything so they must have thought it was going to be worth it

If they didn't know the rules then I'd be suing the lawyers they been using for 2 years or so with their secret discussions

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking at faceache plenty of Liverpool supporters accepting the apology of the owner, especially if he dips into his sky rocket and buys them Mbappe or similar. The fickleness of football fans eh??

Why dont you consider the matchgoers opinions rather than faceless divvies on facebook, twitter, golf forums?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The reason Man Utd did not play in the F.A.Cup which I believe was around 1999/2000, was that they were forced to play in the idiotic World Club Championships at the same time as the 3rd round. England was trying to get to host the World Cup and it was seen as necessary for United to support the event to further their bid. They offered to play a reserve team but this was declined so the only option was for the FA to allow them not to enter that year.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The reason Man Utd did not play in the F.A.Cup which I believe was around 1999/2000, was that they were forced to play in the idiotic World Club Championships at the same time as the 3rd round. England was trying to get to host the World Cup and it was seen as necessary for United to support the event to further their bid. They offered to play a reserve team but this was declined so the only option was for the FA to allow them not to enter that year.

MANCHESTER UNITED yesterday withdrew from next season's FA Cup after accepting an offer from the Football Association that they could not refuse.

The club's chief executive, Martin Edwards, and their manager Alex Ferguson put on a united front with David Davies, the FA's interim executive director, as they tried to justify the unpopular decision.

In the background the recurring theme was of England's 2006 World Cup bid and the guidance from the Government which persuaded United to ditch the game's oldest domestic tournament for its newest global prize because of fixture congestion.

United say they were left with little choice when the FA told them of the possible risks to England's hopes of staging the World Cup if they did not take part in Fifa's new tournament, the World Club Championship in Brazil next January.

"We had to think of the situation regarding England hosting the World Cup," Ferguson said. "No one wants to see them not get it. I dare not think of the criticism we would have received if we had refused. That was unthinkable - and that's a Scotsman talking."

Edwards echoed those sentiments. "If we had not entered this tournament, England's opportunity to host the 2006 World Cup would have been in jeopardy," he said. "It might even be stronger than that. We've given England an opportunity now. You cannot expect our players to play 70 games. Something had to give. We are disappointed for our supporters. The League couldn't give and neither could the European Cup. For one year the FA Cup has to give."

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
)
Celtic and Rangers are more Sunday League than Super League.

If they want to play in England they should start at the bottom like every other team.

They would seriously struggle to get out of the championship. I don't mean that in a nasty way but that league is tough and full of very good teams

Look how long Leeds took to get back !