Harrington
Chopra
Karlsson
Dougherty
McDowell
Jimenez
Kaymer
Captains Picks Possibly Garcia & Casey.

I know it's early days but would this team be good enough to beat the americans?

If not, who would you like to see in the team and who would you leave out?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know who I'd drop to get him in, but I'd still pick Monty for the Ryder. Ok, his tournament performances have not been good recently but I think he's still a force in matchplay. And he could at least glower us to a point or two.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I still think Monty has a lot to offer this years Ryder Cup Team, despite his poor performances of late.

Garcia, there's not a chance of him gaining a Captains pick in my eyes. He's really really struggling at the mo. Every time I see him playing he's using a different putter. Only common theme is that none of them appear to be working.

To be honest i'd really like to see David Howell get his form back together this year and push for a place. He's a proven quality golfer (who's unfortunately suffered some back luck along the way), and one of the European Tours true gents.

DHM.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Garcia would be a total liability, he is the last person you would want with a pressure-putt at a cruicial time, too risky with his putting.

Darren Clarke would be a shoe-in for me as a captains pick, as far as I am concerned he is great matchplay golfer, great for team morale and if I was partnered against him and Westwood I would be fairly cacking it.

I would pick Poulter if he doesn't qualify as I think he would do very well.

I wont get into the hole Monty debate in detail again but in my eyes, no chance.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that's looking like a solid team. If I was looking for a Captain's pick....I reckon Ian Poulter would be the man for me (ooh, er missus!). He's a fearsome scorer (can get v.hot with GIR and the putter) and matchplay is the one format that would allow him the odd super-blow-out!

I really rate Nick Dougherty, dunno why (maybe the swing) and am looking forward to his improvement.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hope casey manages to qualify to make the captains picks easier.for the picks i would go with monty and clarke,clarke's partnership with westwood is second to none in my eyes for the morale it brings the team alone,and for monty,well i think he is one of the fixtures of the european ryder cup team and it just wouldn't be the same without him,i think it really would be a shame for the whole spectacle of the cup if he was left out.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its always the big question on the captains picks . Players in form or players on past form/reputation ? Has the USA changed its format this year to top 8 and 4 captains picks....or did i dream this ?

That would make the European top 8 as -

Westwood
Rose
Stenson
Harrington
Chopra
Karlsson
Dougherty
McDowell

leaving space for - Casey Donald Poulter Monty ?

I know there's going to be a lot of chopping and changing in the automatic spots but i wouldn't like to have to do Faldo's picking job.

golfer1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looking at all the names put forward, i think we've already got the basis of a good team, and i'm sure that the likes of Rory McIlroy, and Ollie Fisher will be pushing for a place, making Faldo's picks even harder.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Westwood - good on his day, [****] putter tho. Like too many of our team, he'll never win a major and settles instead for Ryder Cup success.
Rose - good player but despite deceptive world ranking not a top drawer player yet.
Stenson - about as solid match player as Europe have.
Harrington - needs to stop reminding us all he's 'Open Champion' and 'won a major' and get that hunger back from the days of old. Europes most solid golfer and a fan favourite. First name on my team sheet.
Chopra - Winner on the PGA tour, laid back - he could handle the Ryder Cup for sure.
Karlsson - Another laid back player who performs under pressure. Not won that massive breakthrough prize like he mightve done but good enough out of the current Euro crop for my money.
Dougherty - should go to Valhalla no matter what. Head for the big occasion and Friend of Faldo and thats got to count for something.
McDowell - I'd be in the Ryder Cup team if i played in as many events as him.
Jimenez - World Class. A certainty for me.
Kaymer - could be decent if the occasion doesn't melt him down like Augusta did. The jurys out on the kraut.
Captains Picks Possibly Garcia & Casey - Casey will obviously be there. Flatters to deceive but will be on the plane whatever he does. So will Poulter but I'd like to see Rory Mcilroy chosen - Time to drop old timers Clarke and Monty, they don't cut it anymore, and Paul McGinley - what a crock he is.
US to win the cup back this time for me, and I couldnt care less, I think the Ryder Cup stinks! I'll buy the DVD though.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i think the ryder cup is the best spectacle golf has to offer,while the majors are great to watch,the team play is quality,and the nerves keep me firmly on the edge of my seat.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't agree with taking McIlroy unless and until he gets the results. it would be a wasted place just as Walcott at the World Cup.

Clarke and Monty have done well in the past but past glories win nothing. Time for a couple of 'new' seniors. Jiminez has to be there, but I'm a bit doubtful about the team doing well this time.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After the Masters, the European Team looks like This:

Westwood (doubtful,maybe if he improves)
Rose (banker, expect good things this year)
Stenson (maybe?)
Harrington (banker, if he brings his mind to it)
Chopra (maybe, on past form)
Karlsson (rising star?)
Dougherty (able to withstand the pressure?)
McDowell (maybe, could be tired)
Jimenez (banker)
Kaymer (maybe, looked good at the masters)
Captains Picks Possibly Garcia & Casey. (Monty,Clarke reserves Poulter & Mc Ilroy)
Have to wait and see there could be a dark horse waiting in the wings.