Essex course ideas

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hello all
My eldest daughter is looking to get back into golf (shes in her 30's)
She is based around East Tilbury now, and is thinking about Orset, Mardyke Valley or Langdon Hills.
Any knowledge of these course or suggestions?
Obviously being a working woman in her 30's, golf on a weekday morning followed by tea and cakes isn't an option.
Cheers
BM

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Orsett is a lovely course, was on the open qualifying rota.
Probably the #1 course in the area.
Guess it won't be cheap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had membership at Redlibbets we had a reciprocal at Warley park.
I never went but the lads who went over said it was decent.

Warley is very cramped .. lots of blind tee shots. About 7 holes have bells on them. One of them that has 27 holes but has crammed it in and could just use the space to build a solid 18 holes!! (Played it twice, 40 points and 14 points. I equally didn't enjoy both rounds!)

Brentwood is pretty nice

Orsett I've heard is lovely , think thorndon normally tips it to best course in Essex

Mardyke is cheap and cheerful

Top meadow is just down the road from mardyke, again cheap and cheerful

Langdon hills is a nice layout

Only thing with Essex course is drainage isn't great. Just the way of life

My course ,ingrebourne, is imo lovely but I'm biased . Added bonus of gym membership included in the price (if that's something that would be of use)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My embryonic golfing life formed in the area.

The best courses are easily Orsett and Thorndon Park...the "lecture" given by the secretary at Thorndon is something to be enjoyed and appreciated....in my experience it has always been friendly and well meaning, rather than overbearing and pretentious.

Hartswood (Brentwood) is a decent enough Martin Hawtree designed council managed course though, like many in the area, can suffer from being claggy in the winter and bone dry in the summer thanks to its clay soil.

Mardyke, Top Meadow... I echo what @PJ87 says...and yes...the drainage can often be an issue.

The only other option in the immediate vicinity which I've not seen mentioned is South Essex which has 3 9 hole loops (Hawk, Heron, Vixen), of which the first two are the best. Its been many years since i played it but it is a challenging enough layout and I always enjoyed a round there.

Unfortunately I cant comment about the "social infrastructure" of any of the courses.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My embryonic golfing life formed in the area.

The best courses are easily Orsett and Thorndon Park...the "lecture" given by the secretary at Thorndon is something to be enjoyed and appreciated....in my experience it has always been friendly and well meaning, rather than overbearing and pretentious.

Hartswood (Brentwood) is a decent enough Martin Hawtree designed council managed course though, like many in the area, can suffer from being claggy in the winter and bone dry in the summer thanks to its clay soil.

Mardyke, Top Meadow... I echo what @PJ87 says...and yes...the drainage can often be an issue.

The only other option in the immediate vicinity which I've not seen mentioned is South Essex which has 3 9 hole loops (Hawk, Heron, Vixen), of which the first two are the best. Its been many years since i played it but it is a challenging enough layout and I always enjoyed a round there.

Unfortunately I cant comment about the "social infrastructure" of any of the courses.

Ah south Essex! That's the one I was trying to think of. Nice course

With top meadow most people I know don't say "I love the course" it's more "can't argue with the value"

I mean full membership is £900.. 18-35 is £600

When I used to play every week with my uncle and grandad it was £16 including breakfast.. now it's £21 which with everything going up isn't overly that much a rise in 10 years

Not the most amazing course but can knock the value. Definitely a case of price it right

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah south Essex! That's the one I was trying to think of. Nice course

With top meadow most people I know don't say "I love the course" it's more "can't argue with the value"

I mean full membership is £900.. 18-35 is £600

When I used to play every week with my uncle and grandad it was £16 including breakfast.. now it's £21 which with everything going up isn't overly that much a rise in 10 years

Not the most amazing course but can knock the value. Definitely a case of price it right
I even forgot Belhus Park where i played pretty much all of my early golf....sadly it is so long since I played there I wouldn't have a clue about what it is like now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I even forgot Belhus Park where i played pretty much all of my early golf....sadly it is so long since I played there I wouldn't have a clue about what it is like now.

Cheap and cheerful, don't go expecting anything world class but it's still golf. I've enjoyed a couple of rounds there

Sorry to harp on but all these courses listed even the cheap and cheerful I've enjoyed 10 times more than Warley park!!!! Never felt so unsafe on a golf course 🤣

Courses like belhus, orsett , ingrebourne, Langdon hills even mardyke are only just off the A13 really so easily accessible from the OPs daughters location in Tilbury

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ingrebourne is best course in the area. https://www.ingrebournelinks.com/

I'm glad someone else said it because I don't want to seem too biased lol

I joined Feb 2020 and just went for a taster. Knew nobody and loved it. Not a long hitter and I just appreciated it.. very close to home so thought go for it

Then 2 mates tried it with me. Loved it joined it

Good in winter aswell as they put a lot of work in. We get people from all over come in winter when their closed. Im still happy there 4 years later and I'm a moany young sod

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm glad someone else said it because I don't want to seem too biased lol

I joined Feb 2020 and just went for a taster. Knew nobody and loved it. Not a long hitter and I just appreciated it.. very close to home so thought go for it

Then 2 mates tried it with me. Loved it joined it

Good in winter aswell as they put a lot of work in. We get people from all over come in winter when their closed. Im still happy there 4 years later and I'm a moany young sod
It was alright - too many gorse bushes though. 😆

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shame they dont provide membership costs on their website..;)

7 day membership is £550 joining fee ATM I believe with £150 a month

Don't think you have an option of 5 day anymore. (Mines 5 day costs me £120)

Includes the gym membership , the par 3 course next to the range and 10% off food and drink