Essential Services

User20204

Visit site
My G/F's best mate is still going to work as her workplace is still fully open. It's a factory making commemorative coins. Not sure I would class that as essential :rolleyes:

I think you're confused about what was said. It's not only for essential work it's if you can't do work from home. I don't know the place but suspect they can't make said coins from home.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm absolutely loving the fact that there are people on this thread stating that the rules aren't clear enough, then lots of other people stating that they are only "not clear enough" if you're a moron or deliberately obtuse, then a third group complaining that non "essential" workers are still going to work...

I keep having to remind myself that this forum is free.. It's comedy bloody gold.. Thank you one and all (from someone still in work despite not being "essential" as I actually understand the bloody rules.............)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The rules/instructions/guidelines are only ambiguous to people who want it to be so. The instructions are clear. But IF SOMEBODY DOESN'T WANT TO OBEY THOSE RULES, they will find a loophole/excuse/reason as to why it doesn't apply to them.
You're never going to find something that's totally disambiguous. Defence lawyers earn their money looking for loopholes in well established laws.
This is more about stupidity, selfishness and arrogance.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rules/instructions/guidelines are only ambiguous to people who want it to be so. The instructions are clear. But IF SOMEBODY DOESN'T WANT TO OBEY THOSE RULES, they will find a loophole/excuse/reason as to why it doesn't apply to them.
You're never going to find something that's totally disambiguous. Defence lawyers earn their money looking for loopholes in well established laws.
This is more about stupidity, selfishness and arrogance.

So which one are the people above who are complaining that non-essential workers are still going to work?

D

Deleted member 23270

I think you're confused about what was said. It's not only for essential work it's if you can't do work from home. I don't know the place but suspect they can't make said coins from home.
Virtually all shops apart from supermarkets are closed, banks are closed, even Sports Direct is closed but it's OK to keep a factory open that makes commemorative coins?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Virtually all shops apart from supermarkets are closed, banks are closed, even Sports Direct is closed but it's OK to keep a factory open that makes commemorative coins?

I don't think you're helping the point that several on here are trying to make mate... Good on ya for trying though.. I'm sure that Harpo appreciates your input (y)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
So which one are the people above who are complaining that non-essential workers are still going to work?
I'm on about the people who are not even going out to work, but decide to drive miles to take their dog for a walk, or people who are still walking around in groups despite the warnings. OK, it's off topic I appreciate that now but I guess these threads sometimes go that way.
I've been sent a video (I can't post it here) of a group of 6-10 lads, all walking along Allison Street in Glasgow at 9am. All walking together, no social distancing, and when they were challenged they responded in the typical Glaswegian way of abuse.

User20204

Visit site

All places that attract the public, likely to be larger than 2. A factory workplace is not likely to attract the public.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm on about the people who are not even going out to work, but decide to drive miles to take their dog for a walk, or people who are still walking around in groups despite the warnings. OK, it's off topic I appreciate that now but I guess these threads sometimes go that way.
I've been sent a video (I can't post it here) of a group of 6-10 lads, all walking along Allison Street in Glasgow at 9am. All walking together, no social distancing, and when they were challenged they responded in the typical Glaswegian way of abuse.
I know that there are a minority of knobheads ignoring the rules. It’s the same in every situation. However, I do have some sympathy for Harpo’s point. The rules have been poorly communicated in part. Politicians, media and authorities have all displayed ignorance in this. And yes, it should just be as simple as “Stay in unless you absolutely have to for food or medicine”. But those aren’t the rules. There are other exceptions that people have unfortunately misunderstood.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This thread started about police of which there are 8 in our golf group extremely compliant and I have always appreciated everything they do, even before I met these lads. All have had good jobs the lowest rank being DS.

However there is another retired ex bobby across the road who was adamant they can go in their car, say 3 miles, park and go for a walk.

Also it is OK for him to go to the local reservoir by car to try and catch some trout!

Am I missing something here regarding what is allowed?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This thread started about police of which there are 8 in our golf group extremely compliant and I have always appreciated everything they do, even before I met these lads. All have had good jobs the lowest rank being DS.

However there is another retired ex bobby across the road who was adamant they can go in their car, say 3 miles, park and go for a walk.

Also it is OK for him to go to the local reservoir by car to try and catch some trout!

No. He is.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me it's about social responsibility. I am furloughed, and there are some in my profession still working and that may impact on us when we get back to work. However since I have to go into peoples houses to do my work, I am very concerned about the ignorance of the social distancing requirements and peoples selfishness when wanting their repairs done (they don't tell you they are self isolating, not well or just flown back into the country) all or which I had in the last few days I was still working prior to the latest government guidance. Now fair enough, I may be allowed to work, but my social responsibility tells me that by going from house to house, family to family I risk catching, or worse spreading the virus to anyone I meet. That doesn't help anyone, and definatley doesn't help stop the spread of the thing.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

No, that retired bobby is wrong.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Which bit? The drive to walk or the fishing?
Paul
I thought they were both wrong but am willing to be corrected. Is the drive and walk similar to what happened in Derbyshire with the police and drones?
Just moving on slightly ; if they went to the shop for food necessities then went on a walk under 1 hour, killing 2 birds with one stone, is that acceptable?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know that there are a minority of knobheads ignoring the rules. It’s the same in every situation. However, I do have some sympathy for Harpo’s point. The rules have been poorly communicated in part. Politicians, media and authorities have all displayed ignorance in this. And yes, it should just be as simple as “Stay in unless you absolutely have to for food or medicine”. But those aren’t the rules. There are other exceptions that people have unfortunately misunderstood.
I only make my point about communication because we all assume every one understands and then get frustrated when actually they don’t. Bit of benefit of the doubt, then it’s as Hobbit suggests give them a bog wash .. preferably in one of them London toilets that has not been cleaned ?..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of benefit of the doubt, then it’s as Hobbit suggests give them a bog wash .. preferably in one of them London toilets that has not been cleaned ?..
There's plenty of London flats with toilets that could apply to, many in nice area's and often with female tenants.(not that sort of tenant just in case you're thinking abstract)

D

Deleted member 16999

Paul
I thought they were both wrong but am willing to be corrected. Is the drive and walk similar to what happened in Derbyshire with the police and drones?
Just moving on slightly ; if they went to the shop for food necessities then went on a walk under 1 hour, killing 2 birds with one stone, is that acceptable?
In principle it’s quite straightforward, but I’m getting the impression it depends on were you live.

Last night on the local news in the NE the Police spokesman said if you live in an area and you drive a few miles to a local park or the coast to go for a walk or take your dog for a walk that is fine, but you are not to drive outside your local area to another area to exercise or walk your dog.

What he didn’t/wouldn’t clarify is what is a few miles when questioned, he sorted of settled on 3-5 miles.