Essential Services

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Connected to this, sad to see at the evening briefing car journey are up. I said last night there seems more cars on the road at 6.30 and not convinced they can all e key workers. I am sure we're see more police on the roads in the coming days. We have to get idiots to stay off the roads bar essential journeys and staying at home or we'll be worse than Italy and Spain. I can see a situation where you'll need something from work to confirm you're a key worker and there being a more significant clampdown on car travel
Out on our walk last night, and around the same time as you mention, we too thought that there was more traffic on the road.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Out on our walk last night, and around the same time as you mention, we too thought that there was more traffic on the road.

Although it is a very small sample size as I am not next a road for long on the dog walk, during the day I've not really noticed any difference in the amount of traffic from before this all kicked off and now. And I do keep thinking to myself that there still seems to be a lot of people making 'essential car journeys'.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bizarrely, on my “essential” daily commute to and from work, I’m noticing a LOT less traffic on the roads. Probably 70-80% less. Curious. Maybe it’s a regional thing! ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've noticed a HUGE drop on the M8. Even traveling at "off peak" times it's crazy how little traffic I'm seeing on my daily commute.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Here we have a snapshot of a particular moment in time with no real context of everything behind it. All I see is two blokes, perhaps on a break, looking out over a bridge. If they have to travel in a car together then I don't see what difference it makes if they're stood together once they stand outside.
I can't see a speed gun but, if you say they have, then I believe you. I also can't see if they are police or people in high viz.

However, reading some of the posts on here it sounds like some people have an agenda against the police and will take the first opportunity to have a dig. The OP is a perfect example of this.

I'm not in the police but I know a few people who are and have been. It's a tough job and even now they are putting themselves on the front line (before you say it, not on this picture but as I say that's a moment in time), are getting abuse both in person and in the press when they are trying to enforce government guidelines and by doing so are putting both themselves and their families at risk.

And it's amazing how many people don't like, or have a grudge against, the police. Right until the moment they need them.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've noticed that the roads are much quieter and I've not noticed anybody driving really fast or dangerously.
As bluewolf said, it must be a regional thing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The police are in a pretty awkward position.. the Government needs to give a message with clarity be specific.
The police should be given the right to act in those guidelines and there should be a list or rule set and punishment level that is equitable across all areas.
It should be presented by the government ( not Gove or we will all question it .. maybe Richi ? he has handed out a few negatives with positive spin and is a popular darling.. let’s use that )
Then we can get on with it .. and the media who choose not to investigate their stories and back them up with facts .. put in isolation ? no access to any method of comms

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The police are in a pretty awkward position.. the Government needs to give a message with clarity be specific.
The police should be given the right to act in those guidelines and there should be a list or rule set and punishment level that is equitable across all areas.
It should be presented by the government ( not Gove or we will all question it .. maybe Richi ? he has handed out a few negatives with positive spin and is a popular darling.. let’s use that )
Then we can get on with it .. and the media who choose not to investigate their stories and back them up with facts .. put in isolation ? no access to any method of comms

Maybe I'm just a simple (retired) engineer. I find it quite simple. Don't go out unless its essential. All this, "I need to put the dog in the car and drive xx" is just Rolex. Funnily enough if you step outside you're front door you're walking. "Yes but...." No yes but, if we all did yes but we'd have 64 million different versions. The law is the law. We don't have to put spin on it, question it, stretch it. "Yes but I just want to pick up a tin of paint..." Two things; if everyone went to pick up a tin of paint what would be the point of a lockdown? Will the job wait till the lockdown is over? Its not essential.

All this "but I saw the police with a hair dryer..." The whole raft of law and order hasn't been suspended. Do you realise how childish and petty you look?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I'm just a simple (retired) engineer. I find it quite simple. Don't go out unless its essential. All this, "I need to put the dog in the car and drive xx" is just Rolex. Funnily enough if you step outside you're front door you're walking. "Yes but...." No yes but, if we all did yes but we'd have 64 million different versions. The law is the law. We don't have to put spin on it, question it, stretch it. "Yes but I just want to pick up a tin of paint..." Two things; if everyone went to pick up a tin of paint what would be the point of a lockdown? Will the job wait till the lockdown is over? Its not essential.

All this "but I saw the police with a hair dryer..." The whole raft of law and order hasn't been suspended. Do you realise how childish and petty you look?
Unfortunately the art of communication is getting the message across so that everyone has no doubts .. Keep it black and white .. no grey

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unfortunately the art of communication is getting the message across so that everyone has no doubts .. Keep it black and white .. no grey

I don't see grey, probably because I try not to listen when a reporter/interviewer tries to get an angle on something. Written down there is no grey, its there when politicians give their version of it on the back of an interviewer being a d!ck.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Is there a law, black, white or pink with spots on that says don't jump off a 5 storey building roof?
No, you use your common sense.
There is a lethal virus out there that doesn't discriminate.
What part of the message 'STAY IN' are people struggling with?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see grey, probably because I try not to listen when a reporter/interviewer tries to get an angle on something. Written down there is no grey, its there when politicians give their version of it on the back of an interviewer being a d!ck.
Yeah I know, but as an engineer you use logic and maths.. stuff is yes/no, black and white .. but to others this is not the case they either don’t get to the conclusion because they start to be distracted or they just have not understood.
All heads work differently, processes are put in place to bring people to a common place .. I am saying a process needs to be applied to get to a common place. I am not saying you require it .. but someone does. We should only expect the police to enforce it and they should be given clear ground rules as should the public ..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a law, black, white or pink with spots on that says don't jump off a 5 storey building roof?
Bob , I have no idea why they cannot just stay in .. I have no idea why people think they are key workers .. All I can conclude is they misinterpreted the message.

However my experience of the law is that is not black and white and somewhere in the middle it has colour .. I have struggled with this for almost a year personally and as an engineer who sees clear boundaries and finite answers, it is really quite distressing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yeah I know, but as an engineer you use logic and maths.. stuff is yes/no, black and white .. but to others this is not the case they either don’t get to the conclusion because they start to be distracted or they just have not understood.
All heads work differently, processes are put in place to bring people to a common place .. I am saying a process needs to be applied to get to a common place. I am not saying you require it .. but someone does. We should only expect the police to enforce it and they should be given clear ground rules as should the public ..

I also think that the number of people that don't get it 'v' the number of people that deliberately don't get it is part of the problem. You're right, some people do need it explaining in Jack and Jill terms but I do think there are some who need their head shoved in a toilet and flushed.

I often harp back to rugby referees, sorry. When the ref says its a penalty, or whatever, its not questioned. There's no point...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

In times like this I am often reminded of this from the classic Young Ones

[Mike and Vyv turn towards the TV which is showing nothing but lines and noise.]

MIKE: Well, I don't call this a new era in televisual entertainment.

VYVYAN: No. I call it very, very dull!

MIKE: Must have gone wrong somewhere.

VYVYAN: Oh God!

MIKE: Maybe you shouldn't have poured all of that washing-up liquid in it.

VYVYAN: But it says here, Michael look, "Ensure machine is clean, and free from dust"!

MIKE: Yeah, but it don't say, "Ensure the machine is full of washing-up liquid"!

VYVYAN: No, but it doesn't say, "Ensure the machine isn't full of washing-up liquid"!

MIKE: Well, it wouldn't would it! I mean, it doesn't say, "Ensure you don't chop up your video machine with an axe, put all the bits in a plastic bag, and bung 'em down the lavatory"!

VYVYAN: Doesn't it? Well maybe that's what's going wrong!

I feel there are a lot of people who would chop up video machines with axes at the moment............................

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I think it’s the use of the long and complicated words “stay” and “in” which are the issue :rolleyes:. Perhaps the Government should have opted for something a little less ambiguous.

Seriously, our control room staff our fielding hundreds of calls daily on this issue, and some of the questions defy belief. The guidance is breathtaking in its simplicity. My kids fully understand the circumstances in which they are allowed out.

Alas, a huge proportion of our great British public are equally breathtaking in their simplicity.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would you be quoting 2m rule to two firefighters going into a building?

i said this the other day before someone reminded me that we wear breathing apaaratus ?

however, our chief has already had multiple letters of complaints from the public about us riding with 5 people in one truck. one person said we should all have one fire engine each?