Essential Services

User20204

Visit site
Still irked by a speeding ticket, by any chance?

Is that it ? is that your best reply :ROFLMAO: Never been in trouble with the police for 30 years + probably more (y)

Here's the deal, you stop making out you're keeping people breathing and I'll cut you some slack for the utter garage you spouted just a few posts earlier.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At least the crash barrier was in focus...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And my applause was for anyone out there doing their bit to try and mitigate the issues in front of all of us.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Connected to this, sad to see at the evening briefing car journey are up. I said last night there seems more cars on the road at 6.30 and not convinced they can all e key workers. I am sure we're see more police on the roads in the coming days. We have to get idiots to stay off the roads bar essential journeys and staying at home or we'll be worse than Italy and Spain. I can see a situation where you'll need something from work to confirm you're a key worker and there being a more significant clampdown on car travel
Why would you worry about car journeys being up when the same graph shows public transport journeys down. Seems about right, it's not rocket science, people have got to get to work somehow. HID is designated worker and since the beginning of this has turned to her car instead of the bus.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why would you worry about car journeys being up when the same graph shows public transport journeys down. Seems about right, it's not rocket science, people have got to get to work somehow. HID is designated worker and since the beginning of this has turned to her car instead of the bus.
My concern is are the journey's necessary and are they all key workers. It does seem a sudden bug spike. I'm getting a lift to and from work as it's only 15 minutes at the moment in the car as opposed to over an hour on train and bus and of course the risk of infection hugely reduced. I simply don't think all these car trips are "necessary" and it's people bored at home going out places for a walk etc

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
My concern is are the journey's necessary and are they all key workers. It does seem a sudden bug spike. I'm getting a lift to and from work as it's only 15 minutes at the moment in the car as opposed to over an hour on train and bus and of course the risk of infection hugely reduced. I simply don't think all these car trips are "necessary" and it's people bored at home going out places for a walk etc
Bound to be some unnecessary, we even had a forumer admitting to using his car when he takes his dog for a walk but there will also be an increase in work traffic if public traffic is reduced.

It's also becoming more obviously due to traffic reduction how many white van man read and use their phones when driving, far easier to spot.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Here's the deal, you stop making out you're keeping people breathing and I'll cut you some slack for the utter garage you spouted just a few posts earlier.

I’ll tell you what, then. How about the 43 police forces in the UK just wash their hands of this whole sorry business, and allow some of the moronic behaviour I have seen in the last ten days continue unabated? You think I’m talking garbage, pop along and listen to one of our daily briefings.

The lockdown was introduced because so many are so mind blowingly stupid they simply don’t get it. Corona house parties, pub lock-ins - you name it, it’s happening in a street near you.

Far from a police state, the UK approach has been very moderate to date. But if tougher enforcement keeps just one person out of a hospital bed, or worse, then it should be encouraged, not ridiculed.

Sorry that you think my comments amount to utter garbage. I’m sure you’ll share your own first hand experience to enlighten me why you think that’s the case.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two points I would make.

First, as someone who has been a cop for nearly thirty years, I couldn’t begin to tell you from that image whether the individuals in it are even cops, never mind what they are actually doing. Do you know for a fact what they were up to, or are you making an assumption because it suits you to do so?

Second, and of far greater importance, regardless of what the two individuals in that image happened to be doing in the split second you passed and, rather pathetically, chose to take a photo, these are people who, at the moment, are placing themselves and their own loved ones in significant harms way simply to try and keep the likes of you breathing.

You ought to be bloody ashamed.

Perhaps the picture doesn't do justice and is confusing. I had to negotiate past the marked BMW police car they were standing beside and saw them using their laser speed gun from the flyover. In Scotland police are required to be in twos as they cannot act without a witness, namely their partner. I hardly think they were placing themselves and their own loved ones in significant harms way by their actions. The picture was taken from the slip road coming off the main road on my return home.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Perhaps the picture doesn't do justice and is confusing. I had to negotiate past the marked BMW police car they were standing beside and saw them using their laser speed gun from the flyover. In Scotland police are required to be in twos as they cannot act without a witness, namely their partner. I hardly think they were placing themselves and their own loved ones in significant harms way by their actions. The picture was taken from the slip road coming off the main road on my return home.

Clive, you misunderstand me. I quite agree that at that moment they are not placing themselves in harms way. But they won’t spend 9 hours every day standing on a bridge.

They will have no option but to get inside the personal space of others, multiple times every day, just to do their jobs. And the primary focus of those jobs at present, despite your fleeting experience, will be to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. I have colleagues who have moved out of their family homes for an indeterminate period, so terrified are they of contracting COVID19 and passing it to their families.

And yes, some of them are traffic cops who occasionally knock out a few speeding tickets.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, since things have slowed down , I have noticed an increase in speeding cars taking advantage of the empty roads.

They are on a bridge, wearing Hi vis , they will be visible a way off, so if you don’t spot them you deserve to get done.

I’d say they are a visible deterrent

Oh 100%

Driving to work tonight I was sat in the inside lane doing the limit and car next to me was doing the limit "forcing" cars behind to flash and undertake

They all got blue light warnings from the car who was a police officer unmarked trying to slow the roads down a bit

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No they wont all be key workers. Manufacturing is still alive and kicking even if all the workers wont by the end of all this.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's not key workers only on roads .. your allowed to continue working and driving if you can't work from home.

I'd argue it's safer for these people to drive to their jobs if their employer won't support working from home than going by public transport

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well it's nice to see that the sun is out and the traffic police are sitting on flyovers on the A90, flaunting the 2 metre rule, whilst the roads are probably the quietest ever, and trying to catch speeding motorists. These are part of the "Essential Services" that we are expected to respect and allow to jump the queue in supermarkets whilst we all wait outside. Sorry but you have lost any respect that I had.

JfZVFiH.jpg

Would you still be quoting the 2m rule to two paramedics working on someone?

Answer is clearly no.

Would you be quoting 2m rule to two firefighters going into a building?

Again answer is clearly no.

Would you quoting it to members of the lifeboat crew going out to sea?

Again the answer is clearly no.

Another idiotic post.