Equipment Fails

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago I 'upgraded' my Ping Eye 2's with a set of Ping Zing 2's!
My God they were ugly.
iu

Thankfully I kept my Eye 2's and still occasionally give them an outing ............................. great clubs.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I seem to remember the Nike drivers of a few years ago, can't remember the names, they were blue, getting a lot of stick and not doing particularly well, think it was maybe the last big range Nike released before they stopped making clubs. Also the taylormade jet speed and aeroburner ranges.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else buy an Ogio bag with a Shling? Padded carry strap made of moulded plastic to be worn like a yoke and meant to be infinitely more comfortable than double straps....it wasn't.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's possible to single out a particular Nike club, considering they binned the entire equipment business it's safe to say Nike itself was largest fail?

Apart from that, any club marketed as a chipper belongs on the fail list? :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's possible to single out a particular Nike club, considering they binned the entire equipment business it's safe to say Nike itself was largest fail?

Apart from that, any club marketed as a chipper belongs on the fail list? :)

What about if it was marketed as a putting wedge as per the Odyssey one.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
About 5 years ago, started to look at golf equipment for the first time in over a decade of not playing. Saw these new fangled gadgets and thought wow, technology has really moved on in the game.
One outing, felt like a total plonker and couldn't see a d*n thing. Slinked off the first hole hoping nobody noticed.

images

smahon87

Visit site
I think the Nike driver was the Vapor or Vapor Fly. Still see them pop on Ebay and locally for sale. I've a VRS Covert driver in the bag still and I'm quite fond of it to be honest but overall probably fair to say that Nike never really got a handle on the equipment side of things. Its strange to see how fondly they're thought of in the US, golfwrx and NLU have multiple threads fawning over their clubs still and they still seem to go for a lot of money over there in the used market, particularly the TW blades from the mid 2000s.

Wasn't there always strong rumours that Tiger wasn't using actual Nike clubs but badged Miuras or something like that? I seem to recall that back in the day.

A relatively new entrant but with great potential for this category IMO are these;

https://sqairz.com/performance/

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone remember aluminium shafts? I had a set of irons in the 70s, I think. Had a habit of snapping, the trend didn't last long.

I had a single McGregor (Jack Nicklaus) 6 iron with one in which I used to knock balls down to the end of the disused cow field with. It actually went vey well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My John Letters F-7 forged irons looked lovely when new - but in time what appears to be some form of applied finish to the back of the clubhead has flaked off some of them in part (probably due to them clattering together when I carried all the time), and those affected now look a bit tatty even to my 'not bothered' eyes. Well - I suppose that they were a whole £299 for a full set of irons - they do give a lovely strike- occasionally - and so the faking isn't an excuse for my inability to hit them consistently well :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one of the first ever metal head drivers (Northwestern) trouble was the head was aluminium and it used to dink like mad.