Equipment Fails

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the US mags has a piece on equipment fails. Golf clubs put on the market that didn't go well at all. Examples are the Cleveland VAS irons (used by Corey Pavn) - horrible looking abominations, and the Nike Sumo2 square driver, which sounded like an empty metal bucket getting hit. For older viewers the Featherlight clubs of the 80s, no feel or distance and various obvious comical opportunities.

Any nominations?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I seem to recall that the Ping G15 wood range didn't get a lot of love.....I don't think many thought it better than the G10.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ping Doc 17 putter

Think all square woods go on the list

Those horrible Cleveland Hi-bore drivers with the scoop on the crown

Cleveland Classic drivers - metal made to look like persimmon woods

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I had the Callaway FTI square driver, similar to the sumo, very loud, awful sounding, always struggled with it. This was a replacement that I was given after my clubs were stolen.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per the OP comments re lightweight 80s clubs

I had a set of Tony Penna light they had to stay in the bag for longer than I really wanted as money was an important consideration back then.

Bought from American Golf (which was a major discount shop back then0 the also offered me a set of McGregor forged which I much regretted not buying instead.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Odyssey used to do putters with metal mesh glued onto the insert. After 18 months the glue failed and the mesh came away.

FairPlay, Callaway did a replacement on the first putter and then gave me newer model without the mesh when that failed.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Odyssey used to do putters with metal mesh glued onto the insert. After 18 months the glue failed and the mesh came away.

FairPlay, Callaway did a replacement on the first putter and then gave me newer model without the mesh when that failed.
Was that the metal-x? I had one and ditched it within a couple of weeks. Could not get the ball anywhere the hole on long putts with the one I had.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Taylormade R9 Superdeep. So low spinning that nobody could keep it in the air, not even the Pro's played it. The only people to give it any love were the elite of GolfWRX (they can play anything).

So I bought one and guess what........everybody was right, totally unplayable.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ping Doc 17 putter

Think all square woods go on the list

Those horrible Cleveland Hi-bore drivers with the scoop on the crown

Cleveland Classic drivers - metal made to look like persimmon woods

I had a Cleveland classic 2 driver.
had a matrix black tie shaft. Telling you it was an absolute howitzer.

Great club that.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was that the metal-x? I had one and ditched it within a couple of weeks. Could not get the ball anywhere the hole on long putts with the one I had.
It was, I got on pretty well with before it failed and the insert turned into a mini spring board as it peeled away. Still using the replacement.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That great you sold it? :whistle:

:p:D

Well yeah??

Im a golf kit addict don’t you know.

You are not to keep them longer than 12 months are you?

?

I got rid of it because (IIRC it was years ago) it felt very heavy in the head. A bit wobbly even with that scaffold pole of a shaft.

Sure I had a shot of QWERTY’s ping i20 and loved the balance of it compared to mine.

So bought myself a ping i25 and loved it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seem to remember back in the 80's Tiger Shark clubs were one of the first single length clubs. Can't remember too much love for them at the time

I think they started with sets that had a 1/4" difference per club rather than 1/2", then went the whole hog to no difference. I think they were intended to be expensive clubs for bad golfers.

D

Deleted member 3432

Taylormade R9 Superdeep. So low spinning that nobody could keep it in the air, not even the Pro's played it. The only people to give it any love were the elite of GolfWRX (they can play anything).

So I bought one and guess what........everybody was right, totally unplayable.
GolfWRX members are serioulsy loooong, not like the peashooters on here...