Equality in the workplace.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Now and again Mrs Hobbit and I have a discussion that crosses into workplace experiences, sometimes going back 40 years. Some of it makes me cringe. Those of us of a certain age need to lift our heads and open our eyes.

Shamelessly lifted from Twitter. Too close to some of our conversations.

Spent an hour coaching someone on how to do their job who probably makes twice what I do. I told my mother in law how frustrated I felt by that. She said, “now you get a glimpse of how women have felt for 50 years.”

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now and again Mrs Hobbit and I have a discussion that crosses into workplace experiences, sometimes going back 40 years. Some of it makes me cringe. Those of us of a certain age need to lift our heads and open our eyes.

Shamelessly lifted from Twitter. Too close to some of our conversations.

Spent an hour coaching someone on how to do their job who probably makes twice what I do. I told my mother in law how frustrated I felt by that. She said, “now you get a glimpse of how women have felt for 50 years.”

Extends to everything not just work I find

My mum is terrible for it.. for example when my wife and I became parents say the work was a 30/70 split .. because wife just did more .. my mum couldn't get her head round me doing so much and basically sang my praises left right and centre whilst the wife did the lion's share of the work.

Different times

I mean it's 40/60 now I'd say work but I definitely get more praise for my share than my wife does

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember chatting to my mum a while ago about an incident she read in the paper, a woman was suing for sexual harassment. My mum suggested that she needed to know more before judging. Had the woman had her bum pinched, brushed against a boob, sexual suggestions etc. I just looked at her a bit agog. 'Any of those is harrassment and a sackable offence '. 'But' she started, 'no buts' I said.

All of those were commonplace in her day, they were for my wife in her early career. I'm pleased to say my kids, 1 of each, 100% know this is unacceptable and would instantly report it if they saw it. Times have changed, although I'm not under the illusion that is has for everyone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I remember chatting to my mum a while ago about an incident she read in the paper, a woman was suing for sexual harassment. My mum suggested that she needed to know more before judging. Had the woman had her bum pinched, brushed against a boob, sexual suggestions etc. I just looked at her a bit agog. 'Any of those is harrassment and a sackable offence '. 'But' she started, 'no buts' I said.

All of those were commonplace in her day, they were for my wife in her early career. I'm pleased to say my kids, 1 of each, 100% know this is unacceptable and would instantly report it if they saw it. Times have changed, although I'm not under the illusion that is has for everyone.

Try walking across a factory floor that was 99% female in the mid 70’s. Everything was grabbed. A night out at Uni end of year in the 70’s would see everything grabbed. It went both ways. Times undoubtedly have changed. The sexual harassment is only one issue.

About 20 years back, that’s this side of 2000, I did an interview with the Service Director. “Can a slip of a lass like you pick up A ventilator?” I cringed. Size might have been a reasonable question but not gender. He rang an employment agency, around the same time, for office staff. “If you’re sending women they must be past child bearing age.” The guy was younger than me but, omg, he was a nightmare.