Epoxy

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't be fitting shafts if I couldn't swingweight them myself, swingweight will have a huge impact on how you hit the clubs and no set will ever have perfect headweights all the way through, club builders will then use tip weights to correct. Miura is about as close as you will get, if you then start changing length slightly if it's a pulled set of shafts (each head has a different hosel bore length so pulled shafts will rarely make two clubs play exactly the same length) it will knock them out further. I'd say it's worth paying someone to swingweight them properly. Get them to do lofts and lie's at the same time. Quick setting epoxy's are generally more prone to heads coming off as @bobmac says it's more brittle when it sets

Last edited:

Visit site
I have bought epoxy from a load of different sources and only ever had one pack that did not set properly.

Currently using the stuff from Lidl.

I use rapid set because I spine align shafts before fitting and there is less chance of shaft movement during cure.

Important things are to remove any paint, chrome and old epoxy on a shaft or head and thoroughly clean with white spirit or similar (cotton buds for inside the heads or adaptors) to ensure that there is no contamination and provide good surfaces for bonding.
i flo shafts as well and that can be a problem when trying to keep the shaft and face in line. you can either tape the hosel and shaft together or I prefer a hosel length of fishing wire which when you rotate the shaft into the hosel it grips the wire securing the head in place.

D

Deleted member 23270

Is it possible to spine shafts by eye or do you need a frequency measuring device?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it possible to spine shafts by eye or do you need a frequency measuring device?

You can find videos on the net about what it is about and how to do it.

Spine aligning is about getting the shaft seam in the right place so that the flex direction is consistent up and down the line of flight.

I just do a basic spine align using roller bearings in a tube.

A full professional spine align uses a laser and measuring equipment.

It is worth remembering that with modern adjustable woods spine aligning only works if you know how you are going to have the head angle set in the adaptor.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Spine aligning is about getting the shaft seam in the right place so that the flex direction is consistent up and down the line of flight.

It is worth remembering that with modern adjustable woods spine aligning only works if you know how you are going to have the head angle set in the adaptor.

Always almost more than one spine.

D

Deleted member 23270

Thanks, I know what it is but wasn't sure if you could do it without equipment ie. is it possible to see a spine on the inside of a steel shaft with the naked eye.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I know what it is but wasn't sure if you could do it without equipment ie. is it possible to see a spine on the inside of a steel shaft with the naked eye.

I would seriously doubt it. Also the spine is not necessarily where the best bend plane is. It just the term used to best explain what a fitter is trying to achieve.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is my simple bit of kit cost me around £5 to make. Piece of plastic waste pipe, two low friction bearings I/D .75" O/D 1.50 inch epoxy resin in to place to either end of the tube one 10mm I/D low friction bearing OD is not important. If you are going to do it important that the bearings are very low friction.

DSCN3556.JPGDSCN3555.JPG

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies on this thread gents.

I have to also say that I’m bricking it now about what I hoped was a simple task ?

Swing weight, spine alignment etc

Should I just get a pro to do it properly?