Epoxy

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Boring question Alert

does anyone have any preference over what epoxy to use when putting new shafts in irons.

also how many fluid ounces would I need for 7 irons

thank you.

D

Deleted member 23270

Use a bit of wet&dry to rough up the surface at the tip of the shaft to give the epoxy a better bond.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've noticed places that do use Araldite tend to use the rapid rather than the standard, but I can't tell you why, sorry.

One twin-pack will be more than enough for 7 clubs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Boring question Alert

does anyone have any preference over what epoxy to use when putting new shafts in irons.

also how many fluid ounces would I need for 7 irons

thank you.

As I say I use Araldite however I believe that JB Weld is known as being the strongest when it comes to shear testing. Bottom line is any good two part epoxy will do the job.

When I first started "farting about" with repairs etc I bough expensive golf specific Bramptons epoxy, wasn't any better than Araldite (imo) from my experience.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have bought epoxy from a load of different sources and only ever had one pack that did not set properly.

Currently using the stuff from Lidl.

I use rapid set because I spine align shafts before fitting and there is less chance of shaft movement during cure.

Important things are to remove any paint, chrome and old epoxy on a shaft or head and thoroughly clean with white spirit or similar (cotton buds for inside the heads or adaptors) to ensure that there is no contamination and provide good surfaces for bonding.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

@Jacko_G im following the same debut steps as you and bought Brampton’s from Nordic golf.

More because I did not want the worry (swing thought) that I may have bought a suspected inferior product
all points noted in the cleaning and prepping front.

It’s to connect these to some pulled (but new) c tapers.

Regardless I’ll clean both parts like the were 2nd hand etc just to be sure.

Bought ferrules yesterday too. That’s another minefield for the uneducated buyer ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

@Jacko_G im following the same debut steps as you and bought Brampton’s from Nordic golf.

More because I did not want the worry (swing thought) that I may have bought a suspected inferior product
all points noted in the cleaning and prepping front.

It’s to connect these to some pulled (but new) c tapers.

Regardless I’ll clean both parts like the were 2nd hand etc just to be sure.

Bought ferrules yesterday too. That’s another minefield for the uneducated buyer ?
C tapers need a lot of prep if not done already. The brushed/satin element of the shaft doesn’t grip very well