Entering stableford game into englandgolf app for handicap

essexguy194

Visit site
Hi apologies if this is a stupid question. I know a part of the new WHS is being able to enter general play cards for your handicap.

I play stableford and given my handicap (29.5) regularly pick up when i can no longer score. The friend i play with says you cant pick up when entering a card for handicap purposes. Is that true?

If not how do you select a stableford format in the myEG golf app? Because when i select enter score it instantly looks like a strokeplay format?

Thanks in advance all

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stableford is just a scoring method for stroke play so don’t confuse the two.
When entering your score on the app just put your strokes in an the score for each hole, it will calculate your stableford points for you. If you pick up, the app lets you put NR in for that hole and just put in the rest of the scores as normal

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PS In essence all cards for handicap are based upon stableford rather than medal as any score in medal play worse than nett double bogey(ie. the lowest score at which you would get zero points for a hole) is reduced to nett double bogey for handicap purposes.

Vesalius73

Visit site
Apologies for bringing this thread back in from the cold but I am still not quite understanding what score I should be inputting to England Golf at the end of my round. I am currently playing off 28.7 which then becomes 29 which then becomes 32 (course handicap). I am similar to the OP where it is sometimes easier to pick up if the hole is already lost but I also sometimes continue to take a shot or two for practice and, when I have time, i.e. no other 2-4 balls behind us. However......

As an example, S.I. 6, Par 5, the hole is won by a playing partner. If I have taken 8 shots and still need to putt that would 9 strokes or more (8 shots would get me 1 point, 8-2 (HC) = 6). For my scorecard, I have been inputting 9 strokes, i.e. the first score available on that par 5 where I cannot score however, there is the odd occasion I just pick up the ball out of frustration and, I am also reading about inputting the score of net double bogey - that would then be 7 strokes.

The reason I am asking this is because my handicap is not shifting despite me having birdies and pars on every round and driving the fairway 250 yards. There are always one or two holes when I am inputting a large stroke score because I have picked up or mucked it up. My mates are frustrated. Two of them play off 12 and 14 respectively so on Stableford they input a lower score when they cannot score - S.I. 15, par 4 - they would input a 5 (zero points) but I would input an 8 (zero points). If that happens a few times over a round it means a lot of extra strokes on my card.

Confused as hell. Any help appreciated/welcomed on how to score correctly. Or confirmation I am scoring correctly and it is what it is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies for bringing this thread back in from the cold but I am still not quite understanding what score I should be inputting to England Golf at the end of my round. I am currently playing off 28.7 which then becomes 29 which then becomes 32 (course handicap). I am similar to the OP where it is sometimes easier to pick up if the hole is already lost but I also sometimes continue to take a shot or two for practice and, when I have time, i.e. no other 2-4 balls behind us. However......

As an example, S.I. 6, Par 5, the hole is won by a playing partner. If I have taken 8 shots and still need to putt that would 9 strokes or more (8 shots would get me 1 point, 8-2 (HC) = 6). For my scorecard, I have been inputting 9 strokes, i.e. the first score available on that par 5 where I cannot score however, there is the odd occasion I just pick up the ball out of frustration and, I am also reading about inputting the score of net double bogey - that would then be 7 strokes.

The reason I am asking this is because my handicap is not shifting despite me having birdies and pars on every round and driving the fairway 250 yards. There are always one or two holes when I am inputting a large stroke score because I have picked up or mucked it up. My mates are frustrated. Two of them play off 12 and 14 respectively so on Stableford they input a lower score when they cannot score - S.I. 15, par 4 - they would input a 5 (zero points) but I would input an 8 (zero points). If that happens a few times over a round it means a lot of extra strokes on my card.

Confused as hell. Any help appreciated/welcomed on how to score correctly. Or confirmation I am scoring correctly and it is what it is.

On the app you just record the gross score on any hole that has been completed, if you fail to complete a hole record 0 ( zero) the system will automatically adjust this to nett double bogey.

If your friends are inserting a 5 on a par 4 where they do not get a stroke this would not be zero points it would be 1 point.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As an example, S.I. 6, Par 5, the hole is won by a playing partner.
What format are you playing? It seems to be a match of some sort.
Unless you are playing singles medal or stableford the scores do not qualify for WHS Handicapping.
Can you please clarify?

Vesalius73

Visit site
Jim & Rulefan - thanks for your feedback and answers.

Jim - sorry, your right with my mates picking up a point, I meant to write 6 strokes on a par4 when I would put a score of 8 - these extra 2 strokes are all adding up and it makes a difference to our scorecards. In terms of completing a hole - from what I read, a net dbl bogey is better than completing the hole surely? I.e. par 5 - I score 9 (no points) but if I pick up I end up with a 7 (net dbl bogey)?

Rulefan - We are playing Stableford

You can see that I am a tad confused with this

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jim - In terms of completing a hole - from what I read, a net dbl bogey is better than completing the hole surely? I.e. par 5 - I score 9 (no points) but if I pick up I end up with a 7 (net dbl bogey)?
It is the same. Any score worse than nett double bogey is reduced to nett double bogey for handicap purposes.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Does that mean if I score a 9 on a par 5 for 0 stableford points it should be recorded as a 7 for HC purposes, ie on England Golf
Just put in 9. The app will not count more than net double bogey.

The best thing to do it sit having your post-round beer and put your scores into the app. Put in 9 and look what it shows you. Go all the way to the end and look what it shows you. You can go back and change it. Change it to 7 and look what it shows you. Nothing is fixed until you confirm everything is correct.

Vesalius73

Visit site
Just put in 9. The app will not count more than net double bogey.

The best thing to do it sit having your post-round beer and put your scores into the app. Put in 9 and look what it shows you. Go all the way to the end and look what it shows you. You can go back and change it. Change it to 7 and look what it shows you. Nothing is fixed until you confirm everything is correct.
Thanks Alan. You had me at beer!

In all seriousness, thanks, I’ll try that on my round next week……over a beer :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does that mean if I score a 9 on a par 5 for 0 stableford points it should be recorded as a 7 for HC purposes, ie on England Golf

A reminder that we draw attention to from time to time:

Stableford and Bogey – be aware of the point where you can no longer score a Stableford point or achieve a “half” in a Bogey. You should also be aware that your Competition Handicap may be 1 or even 2 shots lower than your Course Handicap so be careful not to pick up too early as WHS handicap calculations are based on Course Handicaps.

Swango1980

Visit site
Jim & Rulefan - thanks for your feedback and answers.

Jim - sorry, your right with my mates picking up a point, I meant to write 6 strokes on a par4 when I would put a score of 8 - these extra 2 strokes are all adding up and it makes a difference to our scorecards. In terms of completing a hole - from what I read, a net dbl bogey is better than completing the hole surely? I.e. par 5 - I score 9 (no points) but if I pick up I end up with a 7 (net dbl bogey)?

Rulefan - We are playing Stableford

You can see that I am a tad confused with this
I would seriously recommend to your mates if they shoot a very high score, put in that very high score. If they pick the ball up before finishing, select the option the Hole was played but did not score. That way, it avoids any stupid mistakes where they put in a fake score that accidentally gives them a point(s). I played with a chap in a Stableford competition who was marking my card, and when I picked up a couple of times he actually put in a fake score. A fake score that actually would have given me a point on one occasion, so I had to correct him.

I think that when people hear "any bad scores are rounded to nett double bogey for handicap purposes", I think what they actually hear "if a player has a bad hole, just remember to round it to nett double bogey". No, just let the software deal with it.

Just as an example as to how it will look in MyEG, let us take a hole where a nett double bogey would be a 6. If the player scores an 8, then enter an 8 and MyEG will show 8(6) on the hole score. If the player never finished the hole, MyEG would show *(6). So, in either case, there is no reason for the player to manually enter 6. The software knows what it is doing.