Entered competition when not eligible under rules of the competition

GF23

Visit site
For my sins, I run the competitions for our Over 55's Group at my Club.
We have a one off, once a year entry fee that covers all our competitions, which makes a player a member of the Group.
Today we held a stableford competition and for reasons best known to themselves, twelve players put scores into the results computer for todays competition, who have not paid any fee nor are they members of the Group.
I assume I will end up DQ all of them ,but I am unsure on what to base that disqualification.
Any advice please?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a one off, once a year entry fee that covers all our competitions, which makes a player a member of the Group.
Today we held a stableford competition and for reasons best known to themselves, twelve players put scores into the results computer for todays competition, who have not paid any fee nor are they members of the Group.
I assume I will end up DQ all of them ,but I am unsure on what to base that disqualification.
Any advice please?
Out of curiosity what comp did they think they were entering ..

GF23

Visit site
Might have found answer to my own question. I have been digging about for about 2 hours trying to find a solution. We use Handicap Master program for scores. delving through their manual I have found a way to delete scores completely before closing the competition, so will try that tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might have found answer to my own question. I have been digging about for about 2 hours trying to find a solution. We use Handicap Master program for scores. delving through their manual I have found a way to delete scores completely before closing the competition, so will try that tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

Do not delete the scores they still count for handicap purposes
Just DQ them.
With IG with any DQ you just add a comment for the reason and I would simply put inelegible for comp.

GF23

Visit site
Deleted scores from competition but system allowed scores to stand for handicap, so all sorted now. Thanks for replies

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any advice please?

Is age discrimination not illegal. ?

wjemather

Visit site
Do not delete the scores they still count for handicap purposes
Just DQ them.
With IG with any DQ you just add a comment for the reason and I would simply put ineligible for comp.
They clearly didn't enter the competition, so their scores should be deleted from the competition.

Without a competition entry, their scores would only be valid for handicapping if they had been pre-registered for a casual/general play round. In which case the scores would need to be entered as general play on the system, i.e. they should not be submitted as competition scores.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
They clearly didn't enter the competition, so their scores should be deleted from the competition.

Without a competition entry, their scores would only be valid for handicapping if they had been pre-registered for a casual/general play round. In which case the scores would need to be entered as general play on the system, i.e. they should not be submitted as competition scores.

The category of intent should be irrelevant, they registered their intent to submit a valid score for handicap purposes, so it should be considered as such.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Surely they fulfilled the necessary requirements of a card for submission - they pre registered their intent to submit a card playing to the current rules. In any competition a completed card is still entered for handicap even if the players are DQ'd - well, at least that's my understanding

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This I find embarrassing. Our club had a an Open Mixed Competition at the weekend. 2 gents entered, played with a lady and gent in 4BBB, the starter did nothing, nor the Club until the end when they were disqualified. They had a great day by all accounts, had a meal afterwards and thoroughly enjoyed themselves!

wjemather

Visit site
The category of intent should be irrelevant, they registered their intent to submit a valid score for handicap purposes, so it should be considered as such.
WHS records whether rounds are in competition or general play; it is only relevant for reviews.
Surely they fulfilled the necessary requirements of a card for submission - they pre registered their intent to submit a card playing to the current rules. In any competition a completed card is still entered for handicap even if the players are DQ'd - well, at least that's my understanding
From the OP, it would appear that they neither pre-registered a gp intent nor were they on the competition start sheet - they simply submitted their scores after the round. That is not good enough for a score to be acceptable for handicapping.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

If these players set off believing they were playing in the competition and duly returned their scores, why not accept that in the same way as you would, I hope, accept the score of a player who was "on the list" but who forgot to sign in for the comp?

wjemather

Visit site
If these players set off believing they were playing in the competition and duly returned their scores, why not accept that in the same way as you would, I hope, accept the score of a player who was "on the list" but who forgot to sign in for the comp?
The rules & guidance within GB&I unambiguously do not allow scores to be submitted without pre-registration. Forgetting to sign-in to a competition would mean that there was no pre-registration, so any such score would also not be acceptable for handicapping. From CONGU's guidance:
"G2.1a (2) Pre-Registration Prior To Play​
In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee."​

GF23

Visit site
All sorted, removed from competition but the program allowed their scores to count for handicap. The 12 scores are showing on their Handicap Index listing.