England V France Saturday

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last Saturday I was able to enjoy watching Wales versus Ireland in their Rugby World Cup warm up match on BBC 1 Wales. This Saturday the BBC will only show highlights of England V France with live coverage on bloody SKY.
Can someone please explain ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe England have their TV deal with Sky and Wales haven't...
WC itself is on ITV I understand so 'free to air'....

Herself has booked a lot of time away for autumn...
Happy days for both of us I guess...

D

Deleted member 15344

I believe England have their TV deal with Sky and Wales haven't...
WC itself is on ITV I understand so 'free to air'....

Herself has booked a lot of time away for autumn...
Happy days for both of us I guess...

Exactly that - the only England games BBC show is 6 Nations

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last Saturday I was able to enjoy watching Wales versus Ireland in their Rugby World Cup warm up match on BBC 1 Wales. This Saturday the BBC will only show highlights of England V France with live coverage on bloody SKY.
Can someone please explain ?
I assume either that you live in Wales, or you have Sky already, because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to watch BBC1 Wales, as I understand it?

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I assume either that you live in Wales, or you have Sky already, because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to watch BBC1 Wales, as I understand it?

Your assumption is incorrect - if you have Freesat you can access any of the BBC's regional services.

My original post stems from my frustration with the BBC and its approach to sports coverage. OK I can appreciate that it would be totally inappropriate and impossible for the BBC to ttry compete with Sky for Premier League football. However, there has been a remorseless abandonment of the coverage of golf, cricket and rugby. I sometimes wonder if this stems from a left leaning BBC's characterisation of these sports as " middle class".
If there is anyone out there who knows the price paid for the rights to The Open, England's 6 Nations Rugby matches and Test Match cricket I would very much like to know.

D

Deleted member 15344

Your assumption is incorrect - if you have Freesat you can access any of the BBC's regional services.

My original post stems from my frustration with the BBC and its approach to sports coverage. OK I can appreciate that it would be totally inappropriate and impossible for the BBC to ttry compete with Sky for Premier League football. However, there has been a remorseless abandonment of the coverage of golf, cricket and rugby. I sometimes wonder if this stems from a left leaning BBC's characterisation of these sports as " middle class".
If there is anyone out there who knows the price paid for the rights to The Open, England's 6 Nations Rugby matches and Test Match cricket I would very much like to know.

The BBC still show all 6 nations matches - including England's

The BBC is not a dedicated sports channel - it has to cater for all license payers not just sports fans yet it still shows the biggest sporting events in the world

Test cricket mainly the home tests will be moving back to terrestrial telly soon ( next Ashes I think )

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The BBC still show all 6 nations matches - including England's

The BBC is not a dedicated sports channel - it has to cater for all license payers not just sports fans yet it still shows the biggest sporting events in the world

Test cricket mainly the home tests will be moving back to terrestrial telly soon ( next Ashes I think )

I don't think that anything in my comments suggests that I believe that the BBC is or should be a "dedicated sports channel". I have simply pointed out that it has lost a considerable number of mainstream sports events which not very long ago it deemed appropriate to form part of its offering.
I agree that it does seem to make a particular effort to cater for all license payers and in particular those whose needs are satisfied by the unremitting avalanche of dumbed down crap spread across the four channels.

I think you will find that the BBC does not show live coverage of England's 6 Nations matches.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think that anything in my comments suggests that I believe that the BBC is or should be a "dedicated sports channel". I have simply pointed out that it has lost a considerable number of mainstream sports events which not very long ago it deemed appropriate to form part of its offering.
I agree that it does seem to make a particular effort to cater for all license payers and in particular those whose needs are satisfied by the unremitting avalanche of dumbed down crap spread across the four channels.

I think you will find that the BBC does not show live coverage of England's 6 Nations matches.

The live coverage of 6 nations is being shared between BBC and ITV from next year - ITV have home matches for three of the nations and BBC the other three

Previously it was all on BBC

BBC used to broadcast a lot of sport because Sky weren't around - in the last decade Sky have been buying up the rights for the non protected sports - money talks for sports and Sky can afford to spend money to broadcast the sports

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The live coverage of 6 nations is being shared between BBC and ITV from next year - ITV have home matches for three of the nations and BBC the other three

Previously it was all on BBC

BBC used to broadcast a lot of sport because Sky weren't around - in the last decade Sky have been buying up the rights for the non protected sports - money talks for sports and Sky can afford to spend money to broadcast the sports

The point I am trying to make is that the BBC used to think it was a good idea to provide it's paying customers with a greater variety of coverage of rugby, golf and cricket than it does now. The BBC may have made these decisions for financial reasons. If someone is able to answer my original question on the cost of the rights that have been lost to SKY it might allow an assessment of whether or not the BBC was right or not to capitulate to its rival.
In any event, it can't be good for the sports themselves to have little or no live coverage on terrestrial TV.

D

Deleted member 15344

The point I am trying to make is that the BBC used to think it was a good idea to provide it's paying customers with a greater variety of coverage of rugby, golf and cricket than it does now. The BBC may have made these decisions for financial reasons. If someone is able to answer my original question on the cost of the rights that have been lost to SKY it might allow an assessment of whether or not the BBC was right or not to capitulate to its rival.
In any event, it can't be good for the sports themselves to have little or no live coverage on terrestrial TV.

The BBC would still love to have the sports on their channel but it's a struggle to compete financially as well as catering for everyone

The cricket rights are moving back to terrestrial telly , rugby is still on terrestrial telly and hasn't changed in over a decade and signed a new deal recently , golf ( the Open ) cost Sky £15mil

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Apologise for my assumption! I couldn't see a way to get BBC1 Wales on BT, so I assumed free view was the same thing. Annoying that I can't get it on BT (Unless I can, in which case if someone could point this out that woudl be amazing!!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The BBC would still love to have the sports on their channel but it's a struggle to compete financially as well as catering for everyone

The cricket rights are moving back to terrestrial telly , rugby is still on terrestrial telly and hasn't changed in over a decade and signed a new deal recently , golf ( the Open ) cost Sky £15mil

Not seen anything about cricket rights going back to the BBC. Surely Sky would have paid through the nose to keep it