England in Purple?

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it just me or is it simply wrong to see our national team in Purple?

I went to the England vs Argentina game on Saturday at Twickenham and saw OUR national team in their "new strip" of colour purple.

I was disgusted - our colours are red and white not bloody purple!

It was a disgrace.

It is such a shame to see rugby going the same way as soccer, where clubs change the kit so they can make the honest, fee paying public have to buy the new kit.

ENGALND colours are RED and WHITE and always will be. Please everyone out there who is an england rugby fan DO NOT BUY THE NEW KIT.

Wear the old colours with pride.

Signed,
Angry of Crowborough

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They said in the telegraph today it was £90 for a replica shirt. That strikes me as a bit of a rip off. I thought footy shirts at £40 were bad enough.

May be they are playing in purple as a punishment until they can play properly?

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I went to the England vs Argentina game on Saturday at Twickenham and saw OUR national team in their "new strip" of colour purple.

It was a disgrace.

It is such a shame to see rugby going the same way as soccer, where clubs change the kit so they can make the honest, fee paying public have to buy the new kit.

ENGALND colours are RED and WHITE and always will be. Please everyone out there who is an england rugby fan DO NOT BUY THE NEW KIT.

Signed,
Angry of Crowborough

Could it be a charity thing??? I'm not a rugby fan so I don't know but I know the Middlesex one day cricket team wear pink to support the breast cancer awareness charities. Just a thought....... :D

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site

It was a disgrace.

Signed,
Angry of Crowborough

Could it be a charity thing??? I'm not a rugby fan so I don't know but I know the Middlesex one day cricket team wear pink to support the breast cancer awareness charities. Just a thought....... :D

Totally not. This is the real deal not temporary. This is the new kit until further notice.

As a life long fan I am appalled

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Apparently England used to wear purple track suits, so it is based on that. Whoopee, what will they think of next.

Luckily it is only the away kit, and the white remains for home.

Question? Why was England v Argentina at Twickenham an away game?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The way they,the rugby league,cricket and football teams performed this weekend they should be wearing camouflage so they can sneak out of the ground and not cause the country further embarrassment. Bloody disgrace.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Totaly agree not right to see them in that awful colour sad to see them going the way of football (used to be a big fan of football last straw was seeing players going round kissing badges on their shirts as if loyal to club, untill next big money move comes)Hope fans dont buy them shirts.My daughter just got her boyfriend the new celtic shirt funnily enough hes not embarrassed to wear it!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a fan of it. Apparently according to Matt Dawson on 5Live it has been technically designed to improve performance and that it will be the regular away shirt going forward. If he's right after that shambles they'll be playing in skins next time.

Its a marketing ploy pure and simple trying to cash in in the way football has done for years. I don't mind the Lions shirt as that is every few years and is cheaper (only the £60 sovs guvnor) but I'll not be buying one of these. I agree totally with the OP that England is Red and White. Always has been always will be. Even the FA haven't sunk low enough to change that (although I haven't forgotten that drab grey effort at the Euros)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
£90 is for an actual match quality shirt identical to the team ones. £45 buys you the bog standard replica.

I am also not a fan but my wife loves purple so the sight of Jonny Wilkinson wrapped up like a bar of Cadburys was her idea of heaven.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So its like when the skin tight home shirts and you pay more if you want one or a realistic price for a standard shirt. I have to say the skin tight versions do not make many men look good and a fair few who've worn them down the local have had the smelly stuff ripped out of them big time. Might look good if you are toned athletes (and yes even the England pack are honed) but mid forties with a beer gut and it ain't a good look. Personally I'm a normal style all the way

Still not buying a purple replica

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ironic, in that if you were asked to describe what kind of patch England are going through right now, you would be unlikely to come up with purple...

Awful shirt, awful performance. Better to come though I fancy.

Oh, and anyone that buys one of the 'match' replica shirts instead of the 'regular' replica shirts to wear anywhere except on a rugby field deserves to have the living pish ripped out of them. They are sporting equipment, just like golf shoes, and have no place anywhere except on the field of combat.

Even if you are >13st with <10% body fat.

Which nearly all of us are not.

B

birdieman

It makes them look a bit like Scotland, and that really is a punishment. Mind you, they play like Scotland too.

Typical disparaging, quasi-racist, arrogant Anglo comment! Maybe you should try playing like Scotland! Then you might manage to beat the Ozzies too! :)

Your man Robinson knows his stuff, a decent coach I believe. Somehow I don't think Martin Johnson is going to yield results for England. Putting an exceptional player straight into coaching and expecting the same success he had as a player does not often work. :D