apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
So I am leaning towards quoting in our rules for Opens that:

" An affiliated club Handicap Index is required "

Any others considering this?

NearHull

Visit site
We are meeting to consider restricting Opens to club members. The general view - with no data nor experience- is there is no confidence that the handicaps of Nomads wil be robustly governed. Our Opens are well subscribed, so there is really no business case to bring them in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are meeting to consider restricting Opens to club members. The general view - with no data nor experience- is there is no confidence that the handicaps of Nomads wil be robustly governed. Our Opens are well subscribed, so there is really no business case to bring them in.

do you think club handicaps are any better currently based on some of threads on here recently about the scores winning club comps?

i get that its your clubs choice but its kind of defeating a part of the purpose of the nomads handicaps before theyve even started isnt it

NearHull

Visit site
do you think club handicaps are any better currently based on some of threads on here recently about the scores winning club comps?

i get that its your clubs choice but its kind of defeating a part of the purpose of the nomads handicaps before theyve even started isnt it

i (with the Pro) monitor handicap movements and also police unsatisfied scores to resolve issues - you get to know your members. The EG monitoring cannot possibly be as ‘personal‘ and may have to rely on software algorithm reporting of ‘exceptional/unusual’ handicap issues. But , as I mentioned previousl, where is the business case that prompts us to have Nomads enter out Opens?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i (with the Pro) monitor handicap movements and also police unsatisfied scores to resolve issues - you get to know your members. The EG monitoring cannot possibly be as ‘personal‘ and may have to rely on software algorithm reporting of ‘exceptional/unusual’ handicap issues. But , as I mentioned previousl, where is the business case that prompts us to have Nomads enter out Opens?

That makes perfect sense, pretty sure not every club is on top of it as you are though, especially with the recent changes.

Is there not a logical compromise option where you keep your open "open" to all with a handicap but have a separate prize pool for club members and nomads, giving you a chance to compare what scores win each for a few comps and then seeing the best way forward? might help you pick up a member or two from the nomads too (if youre membership isnt always full)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Are nomads really a potential problem? We have two members who under congu used to play in the 3 comp's per year required of them to maintain their handicap and then travel the North East trying to rip fellow golfers off with their artificially high handicaps.
Without putting too much thought in to it, I'm guessing that WHS is manna from heaven to these two, and others of a similar ilk.

NearHull

Visit site
That makes perfect sense, pretty sure not every club is on top of it as you are though, especially with the recent changes.

Is there not a logical compromise option where you keep your open "open" to all with a handicap but have a separate prize pool for club members and nomads, giving you a chance to compare what scores win each for a few comps and then seeing the best way forward? might help you pick up a member or two from the nomads too (if youre membership isnt always full)
We are very fortunate to have a waiting list of 21. I think there is an unofficial ‘Waiting list’ for the waiting list. So currently ( and of course that situation could change) we dont see any advantage in bringing Nomads to our Opens.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are very fortunate to have a waiting list of 21. I think there is an unofficial ‘Waiting list’ for the waiting list. So currently ( and of course that situation could change) we dont see any advantage in bringing Nomads to our Opens.

Congrats I hope it stays like that for your club, there are definitely some clubs in a position where they can pretty much do as they please based on their course, membership and local competition

Was only a couple of years ago, pre covid, that plenty of clubs were complaining about declining membership and potential financial issues and looking at ways to encourage more to be members. I hope their short term actions dont endanger their long term prospects as they misinterpret a chance in short term demand

NearHull

Visit site
Congrats I hope it stays like that for your club, there are definitely some clubs in a position where they can pretty much do as they please based on their course, membership and local competition

Was only a couple of years ago, pre covid, that plenty of clubs were complaining about declining membership and potential financial issues and looking at ways to encourage more to be members. I hope their short term actions dont endanger their long term prospects as they misinterpret a chance in short term demand
Wise words, I do hope that we don’t end up regretting our actions.

gopher99

Visit site
I personally thought for me this was a good idea as I like to play in opens, not to actually win anything but to play various different courses at good prices. I can’t see what people actually gain with an artificially high handicap as they surely must sense people’s displeasure if they win all the time at various comps. Call me old fashioned but I would rather have a round a golf with good company any day of the week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally thought for me this was a good idea as I like to play in opens, not to actually win anything but to play various different courses at good prices. I can’t see what people actually gain with an artificially high handicap as they surely must sense people’s displeasure if they win all the time at various comps. Call me old fashioned but I would rather have a round a golf with good company any day of the week.
Sadly, there are undoubtedly small groups of players going around Opens picking up very tidy amounts of prize money on artificial handicaps. They just see prize money and don't care what others think. This happens now, with existing club players.

I'm with you in your view of Opens. A great way to have a lovely day with friends, playing different courses at a cheaper rate.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sadly, there are undoubtedly small groups of players going around Opens picking up very tidy amounts of prize money on artificial handicaps. They just see prize money and don't care what others think. This happens now, with existing club players.

I'm with you in your view of Opens. A great way to have a lovely day with friends, playing different courses at a cheaper rate.

it would be a lot easier if clubs just reduced the prizes at the opens, make them unattractive to those only there for the prizes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
it would be a lot easier if clubs just reduced the prizes at the opens, make them unattractive to those only there for the prizes
100% agree with this. Whenever I look at Opens to play in I look at the course, the cost and the format. If anyone is playing them because of the prize money then they are exactly the people you don't want there.

There is a hotel course near to me that runs a couple of Opens each year with prize money that is totally out of kilter and the winning scores are utter nonsense. I knew a former pro that worked there and he knew there were cowboys winning but there was nothing he could do about it, the hotel thought it brought them good publicity ?. I avoid Opens with big prizes as the nonsense of the winning scores sticks in the throat.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
100% agree with this. Whenever I look at Opens to play in I look at the course, the cost and the format. If anyone is playing them because of the prize money then they are exactly the people you don't want there.

There is a hotel course near to me that runs a couple of Opens each year with prize money that is totally out of kilter and the winning scores are utter nonsense. I knew a former pro that worked there and he knew there were cowboys winning but there was nothing he could do about it, the hotel thought it brought them good publicity ?. I avoid Opens with big prizes as the nonsense of the winning scores sticks in the throat.

showing my age but the best ones many years back youd win a 4 ball to play back at the course, lunch and a dozen balls or something. Perfect :)