England Golf. Closing golf right or wrong?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m torn on this one. I’ve elderly parents I need to protect but I pass more people exercising by walking around than I ever do on the course. We see parks and beaches littered with people and as we can’t get online food shops we end up queuing to get in places around more people.

It seems when we need as many open spaces as possible, more are closing. Did they do the right thing or did they bolt too early when they should maybe have been proving some reasoning?

P.s. no name calling people as self centred or selfish. We’re all entitled to genuine opinion.

D

Deleted member 17920

? the correct one.

Having witnessed so many golfers sitting close together standing in a group it was only a matter of time before people went against what the government want and what is right to get rid of this awful virus.

I did hear one report of a group who took the flag out on every hole as well.

People do not listen to advice.

We need to take note how serious this is.

As much as it hurts us all as the weather is finally nice it’s totally the correct decision.

D

Deleted member 17920

I think if they had moved more quickly to enforce solo rounds they may have had an argument. Once golfers were still organising roll ups etc. there was only ever one outcome IMO.
Not enough daylight or tee times to let people on as a single.

Imagine the uproar that you couldn’t get a game but others could.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I think if they had moved more quickly to enforce solo rounds they may have had an argument. Once golfers were still organising roll ups etc. there was only ever one outcome IMO.
Fair point that. Only the weekend before hotels were still cramming in guests.

D

Deleted member 16999

There is certainly a minority that could/might argue they live close enough so they don’t need to drive, they can play on their own, etc etc.

While I sympathise, tough, this is about the majority and the health of thousands.

My worry/issue is a soon as they relax it or ignore a few doing it, next we’ll have 2 balls promising to keep a set distance.

England Golf were spot on and now must stand firm.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
There is certainly a minority that could/might argue they live close enough so they don’t need to drive, they can play on their own, etc etc.

While I sympathise, tough, this is about the majority and the health of thousands.

My worry/issue is a soon as they relax it or ignore a few doing it, next we’ll have 2 balls promising to keep a set distance.

England Golf were spot on and now must stand firm.
I’m not convinced we’re near the end of this either. I really can’t see the measures relaxing in 3 weeks and I can honestly see this impacting our lives for about 12-18months.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m not convinced we’re near the end of this either. I really can’t see the measures relaxing in 3 weeks and I can honestly see this impacting our lives for about 12-18months.
I hope you’re wrong;) but I’m not making any plans for this summer.(y)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Absolutely the right decision. For each and every one of us who will claim we are sensible and will keep our distance etc, etc, there will be countless others who don’t, and therein lies the problem.

In a month I’m willing to bet none of us can leave the house to even exercise, so badly are the guidelines being ignored.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I hope you’re wrong;) but I’m not making any plans for this summer.(y)
Yeah. We as a family have had to rebook our Easter holiday and I’m not too certain about my autumn lads golf break either. One year of no breaks is nothing to save lives though.

User20204

Visit site

I agree the measures will last more than 3 weeks, I'm reckoning at least 6 with the knock on lasting all the summer. Economically it might take ten years to recover but making it out alive may be a bonus for now.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely the right decision. For each and every one of us who will claim we are sensible and will keep our distance etc, etc, there will be countless others who don’t, and therein lies the problem.

In a month I’m willing to bet none of us can leave the house to even exercise, so badly are the guidelines being ignored.
I think you’re right but not because of people ignoring the rules. The government have done very well in staggering the impacts, following the plan to the letter to avoid a collapse of our economy and society. I just think a total lock down in a couple of weeks is the next steps. The supermarkets are massively ramping up on staff.