End of season handicap results/ stories/ excuses.

D

Deleted member 21258

Think I started on 9.6 and after yesterday will end on 9.2, after probably about a dozen qualifiers. By far the most consistent scoring week in week out, year for me and scoring more birdies on average.

Disappointed that I have not had any rounds around par, my chipping is just inadequate. Wish I could find my chipping game I had about 12 years ago, before I gave up playing. Next year Rodney next year.

Won a medal, had my fingers in the 2s pot quite a bit and had loads of fun playing with family and on forum days and being lucky enough to play some amazing courses.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
1.3 cut in total over this season with a PB in a comp round to boot, so although still a bit up and down deffo a good year overall and heading in the right direction.

10cclo

Hacker
Visit site
Started season on 6.5, went up steadily to 7.4 with early season yips, a lot of practice and determination and now 5.6 with a 0.6 and 0.4 and a 1.0 stroke cut.
A season of winter golf should see me in good stead for Cat 1 next year!

coley167

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'll make a full thread about my achievements after next weeks final comp of the year, but very brief.

October 2016 said I wanted this 2017 to be my year - Working all winter at the driving range on everything!

Stood on 1st Tee on April 1st with a 21.2 handicap

5 trophy wins and the Clock comp (20 comps over the year, scores are given points - Net level par = 5 points every shot under par = 2 points, shot over par =-1 point until you score 0 points. No minus points.) win under my belt I type this as a 7.7 handicap golfer!

I also finished 2nd on count back in the club championship handicap, and numerous other 2nds in weekly medal and stablefords!

So go back to October 2016 and say YES this was my year!

He hits it like a right chopper as well ;)

I assume this will be the story of young master Robson?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Handicap wise it's been another disappointment, started on 10.8 and went up to 12.0 but this weekend just gone I got my first cut of the year after two consecutive buffers so some respectability to end the year on, even if it was only 0.2.
I've still got two qualifiers to play but see below re those.

Played some great courses and met plenty of forummers through the year, old and new faces.

Highlight of the year for me has been a rapid immersion into vintage golf, having dipped my toes last year with a set of HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger irons I went crazy this year buying several sets on ebay.

This year I've had the pleasure of playing with the following sets of irons, along with various persimmon and laminated woods:
  • John Letters "Gary Player" Master Model
  • Gradidge dot faced 1940s/50s
  • Browning 440
  • Greenway half set
  • Wilson Staff Staff Tourblade
  • Ben Sayers Silver Crest
  • Wilson DynaPower
  • MacGregor Colokrom M85

Add to that a recently acquired set of Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades which I'll be putting into play for the first time in the Stableford Qualifier this weekend, partnered with an old putter but my modern driver and fairways.
If that goes okay then I'll play a full vintage set in the final qualifier of the year. :D

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is unreal! Amazing Achievement! May I ask how old you are? and what did you during the winter on the range? Any specific drills or instruction?
I'm 24 - and work within a good 6 iron away from the Royal Norwich golf club! So as soon as they nights drew out I practiced!

Winter on the range was ball striking mainly with mid irons, with a little bit of chipping thrown in for good measure. But although I was a 21 handicap, I knew I was more than capable of getting the ball from the tee to around the 50-100 yards out mark. From 100yards out was where I lost my shots.

So as soon as the nights showed any signs of drawing out in March/April I used to go to the chipping area and chip. I may have then played 17/18 or 15/16/17/18 after 30mins to an hour.
In 2016 I used to finish work and get straight on the course, this year I practiced on our chipping area. Practice and repetitive work is the key in my opinion.
Playing allows just 1 type of shot at a time.

I was able to hit 20 chips at a time, and slowly felt more and more confident.

I also enjoyed watching good players at the club, and how they played certain shots etc!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one qualifier left so will save the report until then but <spoiler alert> I need a good score or my record of finishing every year on a lower handicap than I started will come to an end!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Started the season at 5.9. Went up and down like a yo-yo but unfortunately on an upward trajectory. Late season resurgence has me back to 5.9 having had my lowest ever handicap of 5.8 last me 12 hours!

3 or 4 qualifiers to go..... I think my dream of playing off 4 is out of reach for this season. A couple of good rounds may make a decent season though.

You playing those at Duddy, Jaimie? I played the comp weekend before last and decided that was it for me for the year - course just too muddy off the fairways and greens not quite there any more.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Started the year on 24.7 and currently on 24.3, so a slight improvement. I am definitely playing more consistently though and I am just one good score with a card in my hand of getting a good reduction. One qualifier to go this season so you never know.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
the season has been more of the same for me for the first half of it recovering from my injury .but with my leg injury slowly starting to improve the season saw me playing the odd round and a good few range sessions. i played Smiffys Cooden day and being teamed with a fellow Brighton fan and a Palace fan [kertooey spits]we managed a very creditable podium finnish all be it with a generous h/cap being given by Smiffy to offset my long layoff from the course.
a few weeks later and only one more round inbetween i played in a charity event run by a good friend. again a generous h/cap was given ,this time only three shots compared to Smiffys four i just missed out on a podium finnish scoring 38 pts ,but winning the longest drive .a couple of weeks later saw my club champs and i managed to wangle myself a spot ,this time playing off scratch as my h/cap had long since lost its C .
a dismal day for golf ensued .three weeks later and im at East Brighton with my brother in law.keeping a card saw me after a rather lousy 8 on the first hole manage to get round in a very respectable 83 [par 71].my h/cap is or was 14 so the game is coming back . i do need a buggy to get round now but what the hell ,im back playing .

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started on 18 exact and got off to a rocky start climbing to 18.4. thought I was heading to 19 and rescued back to 17.5 then down to 13.9 two rounds later. Couple of 0.1's and buffers and ending the season at 14.3. A nice 2017 for me.

I think my new irons were to thank for it.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll make a full thread about my achievements after next weeks final comp of the year, but very brief.

October 2016 said I wanted this 2017 to be my year - Working all winter at the driving range on everything!

5 trophy wins and the Clock comp (20 comps over the year, scores are given points - Net level par = 5 points every shot under par = 2 points, shot over par =-1 point until you score 0 points. No minus points.) win under my belt I type this as a 7.7 handicap golfer!

I also finished 2nd on count back in the club championship handicap, and numerous other 2nds in weekly medal and stablefords!

Thats totally bananas. You have to be the most improved golfer of in the country.
Unbelievable!

Set a goal of 8.0 and managed to achieve exactly 8.0 from 11.7.

Unfortunately got injured for the Medal Final which I was gutted about but a great season and a good £160 in winnings from competitions.

Success was down to a sheer lack of practice, no warming up and not give a flying monkeys about what I shoot. :D

Also shot my best round ever of 4 over 76 which round Worksop is extremely good as the CSS is usually 75/76.

Bring on next season

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Great effort. Surely the biggest drop on here this year (if not ever in a year)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the grand age of 65 and after about 25 odd medals I've still finished the season cat 1. Its getting harder each year but I'm hanging on. Won a couple of medals and got to a couple of finals but finished runner up. Hey ho.

Good to hear there's still some life in some of us old dogs:whoo::thup: