End of season handicap results/ stories/ excuses.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'll make a full thread about my achievements after next weeks final comp of the year, but very brief.

October 2016 said I wanted this 2017 to be my year - Working all winter at the driving range on everything!

Stood on 1st Tee on April 1st with a 21.2 handicap

5 trophy wins and the Clock comp (20 comps over the year, scores are given points - Net level par = 5 points every shot under par = 2 points, shot over par =-1 point until you score 0 points. No minus points.) win under my belt I type this as a 7.7 handicap golfer!

I also finished 2nd on count back in the club championship handicap, and numerous other 2nds in weekly medal and stablefords!

So go back to October 2016 and say YES this was my year!

D

Deleted member 15344

Started season at 4.4 - played 18 qualifiers , currently at 3.7 , lots of buffers and a few .1 up and down. Won a 4BBB and got to semi finals of a few more plus won a couple comps away. 6 more qualifiers to see if I can get to 3

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'll make a full thread about my achievements after next weeks final comp of the year, but very brief.

October 2016 said I wanted this 2017 to be my year - Working all winter at the driving range on everything!

5 trophy wins and the Clock comp (20 comps over the year, scores are given points - Net level par = 5 points every shot under par = 2 points, shot over par =-1 point until you score 0 points. No minus points.) win under my belt I type this as a 7.7 handicap golfer!

I also finished 2nd on count back in the club championship handicap, and numerous other 2nds in weekly medal and stablefords!

That's impressive.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started the season at 5.9. Went up and down like a yo-yo but unfortunately on an upward trajectory. Late season resurgence has me back to 5.9 having had my lowest ever handicap of 5.8 last me 12 hours!

3 or 4 qualifiers to go..... I think my dream of playing off 4 is out of reach for this season. A couple of good rounds may make a decent season though.

Your journey is one that i always take interest in as i always felt your goals were optimistic.

to honest a year of consolidation isnt a bad thing. i'm guessing you've realised now how hard it is once you get down close to cat 1! you'll plateau and then eventually fall in chunks.

keep going.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I started the February Stableford on 11.8 and am today on 12.4 so, not too bad considering the health issues I've suffered over much of the season. I did pop up to 13 for one comp but won it and came back down. After a couple of lessons with an ex tour pro I believe my swing is the best its been so all I need to do is to sharpen up my short game and my putting and who knows, I might just get down to single figures next season - the Homer dream lives in me too !

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Some excellent improvements on here.
Myself, I started off the year at 11.3 but didn't really play that well through the year and crawled up to 11.9 but then had a nett 65 in our September medal that knocked me down to 10.6. The next comp saw me creep up to 10.7 but still lower than I've ever been before so I can't be too unhappy.
I still want that single figure handicap though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Look forward to reading this. That is unbelievably good golf. it would also be nice to hear how you went about achieving your goals. The work you put in, what kind of game you play etc.

Congrats:)

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your journey is one that i always take interest in as i always felt your goals were optimistic.

to honest a year of consolidation isnt a bad thing. i'm guessing you've realised now how hard it is once you get down close to cat 1! you'll plateau and then eventually fall in chunks.

keep going.

I think it was ambitious certainly looking back but I felt that I would have got myself down to 5 by June/July. I am under no illusions that it gets harder from there with reductions only being 0.1 but I thought I would've had a better season. I have always been a better striker of the ball than my handicap but it's the mental side that has been letting me down. And if I could have conquered that this season I would have smashed my target. Easier said than done though.

On the plus side I have learnt a lot of lessons this season. Mainly that consistent mid 70s is better than 72s and 85s. A lot of work required but I think I'll get there. If I am cat 1 this year I'll be happy, then aim for 4 next year....

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

:clap:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started at 10, finished there too. Only one small cut and a crazy buffer %, ran out of season really. I was away so much (both work and for fun) that my season never really got going until September. I do feel like I've reached a higher level though so I'm excited to see what 2018 brings.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
a season of a swing overhaul.
best score 69 (one under)
Worst score 101
Handicap high 9.7
Handicap low 6.0
Handicap - 6.7

To many .1s and to many simple mistakes! must improve mental strength!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started at 15.2, dropped to 14. Only had two 0.1's so been really consistent without having a stand-out round. Signed up for the Winter performance package with our pro so hoping to make some good changes over the winter and have a good season next season.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

Overachiever. I hate people like you:p

No, just kidding. Really impressive improvements.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site

That is unreal! Amazing Achievement! May I ask how old you are? and what did you during the winter on the range? Any specific drills or instruction?

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Last handicap counter of the season yesterday, and it ended as the season began with a .1 so I've finished on 11.6/12 for the year; down 0.9 from season start, which in the grand scheme of things is ok despite getting to 10.7 at one point.

Played some good stuff this year, but a lot more bad stuff... the last 6-8 weeks saw my form fall off a cliff; but still 'C' class champion, runner-up twice in other comps, 3rd in the handicap Order of Merit and a top-20 in the scratch Order Of Merit so can't grumble with this year's work.

No excuses, just didn't put enough practise in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mines going to sound pathetic compared to many on here but progress is progress

started off 28 (been playing years but starting to get proper serious)

ive finished on gamegolf 26.5 and in my societies one of them im off 27 the rest 28 at the moment due to not playing well in some events

I however have won the past 2 society events I have played

societies I find hard to get cut in because you have to play well on day but gamegolf tracks the lot so gamegolf started me off at 30 this year because it lets you go above 28 so to get to 26.5 I think is good progress

considering we just had a baby in june its good that ive managed to keep golf up and improved...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is my first year of club membership. Started on 24, and I'm now 22.9. I think I've only played about 9 competitions though (got another one this Sunday) as I like to play different courses with my mates and so on. So I'm just glad it's gone in the right direction really. I'm playing well enough to get another cut this weekend, but anything can happen on the day of course. I've only actually been cut once, but it was a 1.6 cut since I was four shots under handicap that day and won a medal comp.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
first season 23 to 14

Peaked in May/June can't put 18 holes together currently, can shoot close to level for 9 then back to hacking around for the other 9.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Incredible :clap: