Enabling Captain's Day involvement for both 5 & 7 day members

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How to equitably involve all members?
I'm just wondering if/how other Clubs have tackled this issue & how successful it might have been?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is open to all members, 7 day, 5 day and 9 course members.

As ours is normally held in the summer months the number of tee times is not a problem.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ours this Summer was open to all, and as already posted, it was held during the summer so there was more than enough tee times for those 5 day members who wished to take part.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a Captain's Weekend....
You play either Saturday or Sunday and the 1st tee is closed between 7 and 3.
There are the usual prizes, NTP etc and 1st, 2nd and 3rd each day..Mens, Ladies and Juniors
There's an overall winner prize too - and it can be anybody.
Restricted members get to play too...
Then there's a big BBQ on Sunday night after the presentation.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the response so far guys. Whilst I did think that most would include all members I guess from the fact that, so far, there is either no charge or very minimal amounts, I'd assume that most are Private Member's Clubs that decide to subsidize the participation of the none 7-day members.... which is fair do's.
With ours being Proprietary there's always been a rather more substantial charge for 5-day members playing at the weekend. This last year was £20 with £5 of that going to the Captains' Charities. So along with the £10 entry for Captain's Day Golf it meant that 5-day'ers faced a £30 charge, so few felt inclined.
There have been suggestions of having a combined, say Fri & a Sat Captain's Day Comp with the best scores etc from each being combined.... am not sure what you'd do with the NP's LD's & have the feeling that it would tend to 'water-down' the Sat event.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a Captain's Weekend....
You play either Saturday or Sunday and the 1st tee is closed between 7 and 3.
There are the usual prizes, NTP etc and 1st, 2nd and 3rd each day..Mens, Ladies and Juniors
There's an overall winner prize too - and it can be anybody.
Restricted members get to play too...
Then there's a big BBQ on Sunday night after the presentation.
Oooh.... get in there, well almost, & right on cue....... though I'm not sure what our 'Owners' would think of 'loosing' all those tee-times..... but a great idea.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As its a proprietary owned club I’d go for a Friday/ Saturday comp. Prize for Friday, prize for Saturday, and a combined Fri/Sat aggregate prize for those that choose to play both days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Proprietary club, played on a Saturday, Mens and Ladies combined, open to all members, including 5 day members. No additional charges.

We don't have a large membership so part of the reasoning could be to fill the slots. It would be a trickier decision if the membership was larger.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
At a previous club , 5 day members were treated as second class citizens, very limited competitions, which if you won, you couldn’t gain entry to the board comps even by paying a green fee.

5 day members often keep the club and food n beverage side going in the week, when weekend players are working. So are an important part of the family.

A whole club event, like captains day or a charity day should be open to all members irrespective

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our Captain has discretion over the type of competition, usually 2 shotguns. He also decides whether 6 day members can play. Apart from one year, they have always been welcome, as they should be. We are a members club so it's probably easier for this to happen than if a corporate owner is losing revenue.