Embarrassing Golf Moments

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After a round a couple of months ago I dropped my ball at the side of the green and went to play a flop shot 10yds or so towards the car park and I'd pick it up on my way past.

Big long lazy swing and thinned it. It bounced 4 or 5 times in the car park missing everything on the way before finishing on the practice putting green.

I'm sure no-one in the restaurant overlooking it noticed me walk over to pick it up! :eek:

Other than that, I once missed a green by at least 25' !! ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Years ago, playing a mixed comp at a small 9-holer near here, I'd driven down the middle on the last to leave my partner about 100 to the green.
I think she played a 7 or something similar but sliced it badly - straight onto the veranda of the clubhouse that flanked the green.
I heard a few glasses go and maybe a window..........

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
All this on Sunday at the Irish meet up.

Duffing a 3W about 20 yards of the tee in front of all the guys. I had been hitting it quite well up to that point.

Getting out of a bunker only to attempt putting from off the green and ending up in a bunker behind it.

Hit a duff at a par three. Divot showed I nearly airshoted and was actually lucky to get the distance I did. Took another 4 to get on the green.

This was all after I'd stated to sober up from the night before.

It was extremely funny though :rofl:

You were only trying to copy me with the duff on the par 3 :whistle:

CylonRaider

Hacker
Visit site
Guy I was playing with a few weeks ago was using a range-finder. We asked him the yardage to the flag. He looks at one of the women on the green and says "164 to her left tit, 166 to the right one".

We all fall about laughing.

Third member of our group goes into the bar after the round and tells the story to a group of people there. "That was my wife" replies the men's captain.

Laugh? I needed gas and air.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing at Worthing with smiffy, therod etc, on the 18th I was fed up, so took my hybrid as a second shot, hooked it, I think it hit a buggy, then the pro shop, narrowly missed the demo Audi a5 they had parked up, then rolled down the road to the practice green. That was pretty shocking..... The guy on the practice green then advised me the road was OOB, it made no difference to my scorecard!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing at Worthing with smiffy,

therod etc, on the 18th I was fed up, !

that's what 18 holes with me and Smiffy will do to you :D

that was a shot of golfing genius. I reckon it went through the pro shop door, bounced off the mars bars and back out. I think you may have over clubbed slightly ;)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Years ago I went on a day out to Knott End, we were playing nine holes before lunch ande 18 afterwards, On the first tee with a crowd watching, I overbalanced whilst driving, ended up sat on my behind, fortunately I had already made contact and the bal went right down the middle.
Around the 8th hole, we heard a bell ring and decided it was calling us to lunch so we walked in, only to find out that it was a bell telling us the green was clear.

T

thecraw

I once saw a scratch golfer have two shanks on the 1st hole at Boat of Garten! The first of which ended up on the railway line in front of a steam train! The second he shanked off a tree and ended up behind him over the fence also OOB!

I wont name him but we got to the final of the Volvo matchplay last year! And there is still plenty of mileage left in that incident!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not me, but my dad.

It was the 80's and he had recently spashed out on a new wooden driver -a red headed Slazenger Ambassador with a micron of loft - and was really looking forward to trying it out.

We queued up at Windmill Hill Golf Centre in Milton Keynes waiting for the off with a crowd of at least 20 golfers behind. Dad decided to give the new driver an immediate introduction and was swishing away at the side of the tee when he swung an connected with a refuse bin, taking a nice chunk out of the club and raised a titter from the otrher golfers.

Unperterbed, when the time came to tee off he decided to let off a bit of steam by murdering the ball from the tee. Unfortunately, he only connected with the extreme of the heel causing the ball to bumbled between his legs into a bush directly behind him. This was great entertainment for the watching golfers.

Despite that experience, he still used that driver for many years to come. When you caught it right it was a thing of beauty, a really low flight and went for miles - might hunt it out next time I see him!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing a foursomes comp at Hawkestone Park. Partners waiting two hundred yards down the fairway, my opponent thunders one into the tiny white fence posts that run 30 yards alongside the tee. Over his head, thirty yards back. Me and the starter couldn't hold it together watching his partner come all the way back to play the next shot. Comedy gold.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
was it off the first? if it hit the green from there that's some bounce;)

Not sure the hole, don't think it was the first. Clubhouse is on the right as you come up - was either my tee shot at a par 3 or approach shot. Either way - hit the roof and rolled down, not on the green but towards it. Got up and down for the par.

Played embarrassingly badly that day - must have lost over a dozen balls in the whins.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure the hole, don't think it was the first. Clubhouse is on the right as you come up - was either my tee shot at a par 3 or approach shot. Either way - hit the roof and rolled down, not on the green but towards it. Got up and down for the par.

Played embarrassingly badly that day - must have lost over a dozen balls in the whins.

That will be the 3rd then, was it a sherman?

Little Jockey

Club Champion
Visit site
I have two. The best one was a mate of mine, we were on tour down south and he was on the 1st tee with everyone watching and hit a high fade around a corner, in his excitement and wanted to see where his ball finished he leaned over to far and fell over one of the markers. Brilliant - we were all crying.

I had one a long time ago at a horrible course called Wergs. It was a long par five and important to hit a good one off the tee, I wound up the driver and hit a low scuttler directly into the ladies tee, it flew back a further 40 yards from where I have just tee'd it up. The boys were falling over with laughter. Dark days.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I had a belter at my old club on ladies day, which includes filling your bag with as much beer and gin as you can handle, plus a bar at the 13th. We eventually toddled up to the 17th tee, in full view of the packed beer tent at the 13th.

being rather well oiled by this time all i remember is teeing my ball up and then suddenly i could only see clouds. I'd put a heroic drunken swing on it, brushed the ball 3 inches off the tee and done a full 360 onto my derriere. the screeches of joy from the beer tent still wake me at 3 am to this day.

I still have no idea why they called it ladies day either