Elevated tees

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking back on yesterdays round where I started pulling my usual straight drives and I realised that it particularly happened on holes with elevated tees.
Is there any reason that that could be the cause? or is it just that being high up exaggerates the poor shot?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was expecting this to be a thread about your favourite elevated tees, an homage to the greatest types of tees in golf. Sadly, it is for other reasons, a slightly negative one :cry:.

Thought 1, is it psychological. Could you be lifting your head to see where your ball is going? You want to see the glorious ending to your shot, knowing how beautifully an elevated tee frames a tee shot soaring away (I may have given away that I like an elevated tee :love:)

Thought 2, I promise no rambling this time. Could it be alignment? Being elevated there may not be something in front of you to help set yourself up square to the target. Next time you play one of these, obviously only if in a social game, ask a pp to see if you are lined up correctly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was thinking back on yesterdays round where I started pulling my usual straight drives and I realised that it particularly happened on holes with elevated tees.
Is there any reason that that could be the cause? or is it just that being high up exaggerates the poor shot?
Thinking about it logically - if you pull one left off an elevated tee it will travel further, and thus further left, before it hits the ground I suppose. ??‍♂️

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The 18th at my place is well elevated but a very short 240 yard par 4, slight right to left shape. Its reachable if you can carry around 200/220 - it'll roll the rest!

Its also the hole that causes the single most lost balls on our course. People spray it everywhere!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The 18th at my place is well elevated but a very short 240 yard par 4, slight right to left shape. Its reachable if you can carry around 200/220 - it'll roll the rest!

Its also the hole that causes the single most lost balls on our course. People spray it everywhere!

Thats the joys of a driveable par 4. We have a couple at our place and both of them are an easy par if you just lay up and leave yourself a short pitch on with your second.

Unfortunately as soon as you get on the tee you think "hell, if I catch this right i can get an Eagle here" so out comes the big stick and a wild swing sticks it OB into the estuary or practice ground ?.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thats the joys of a driveable par 4. We have a couple at our place and both of them are an easy par if you just lay up and leave yourself a short pitch on with your second.

Unfortunately as soon as you get on the tee you think "hell, if I catch this right i can get an Eagle here" so out comes the big stick and a wild swing sticks it OB into the estuary or practice ground ?.

Are you a raven member in disguise? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You'd fit in well at my place! Thats exactly the thinking and it will never change. Eagle or bust.

Ive made 3 so far in a year and 3 months :ROFLMAO:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I always inadvertently try and hit harder from an elevated tee, don't know why. Anyway and time I try and hit any club harder the result is usually horrendous.

sunshine

Visit site

200 yard carry from an elevated tee... that's a 4 iron for many people! I'm sure everyone feels like Dechambeau on that tee :D

sunshine

Visit site
I was expecting this to be a thread about your favourite elevated tees, an homage to the greatest types of tees in golf.

Me too. Love an elevated tee.

Let's hijack the thread!

My favourite elevated tees:
1. 10th Sunningdale Old
2. 18th Montecastillo
3. 18th La Manga West
4. 18th Le Touquet La Mer
5. 11th El Valle (not a well known course but a stunning hole)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Let's hijack the thread!

1. 10th Sunningdale Old
2. 18th Montecastillo
3. 18th La Manga West
Very naughty but I'll join you ?

10th The Hirsel
7th Alnmouth Village
4th? West Lothian
9th? Knaresborough

Lots of others but I have a terrible memory for these things. Pretty much all tees of this type make me smile. Your list is far sexier than mine, well played ?.

Apologies Louise ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Let's hijack the thread!

1. 10th Sunningdale Old
2. 18th Montecastillo
3. 18th La Manga West
6th at Haste Hill.. 3rd at Rickmansworth... errrr...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you played at Pinner Hill? 13th has a good elevated tee. Or 7th at Stanmore?

But you're just not going to find spectacular terrain if you limit your golf to Middlesex.
I have played Pinner Hill years ago but didn't like it much, and I've played Stanmore twice I think. I can't quite remember either hole though. Oh, tell a lie, I just had a look at the maps on Hole 19 and I do remember the 7th at Stanmore. That is a nice one actually. (y) I think last time I played it I tried to give it too many beans to get near the green, crept too far right and the trees blocked me out.

And yeah I was just taking the mick as I knew you'd know those ones, haha.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's an elevated tee at Tandridge (14th) and its absolutely beautiful, great views, great hole and si1 and I love it.

I know that this is not the response wanted but just had to say it ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have 5
10th is a par 3, 141 yards on the card and can play anything from a GW to a 6 iron depending on the wind..a drop of about 40-odd feet.
With all the others you rarely get any benefit of the elevation as your tee shot is likely to pitch on an upslope...
There's a big drop on one of the par 4s at Tandridge - Ha Chris beat me to it by 2 minutes:LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
6th at Pitlochry and fab views.
12th at my track (Farnham) is nice also…though rather too easy to open shoulders and spray wide right into the fields…because I love seeing my ball soar away high into the sky…just that too often it goes wrong…

Last edited: