EG app

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two things I learnt today.

1. I probably will not use it again at Yeovil, my home course.

Last time I tried to use it I gave up because I was due to tee off.

Thinking I knew what the problem was (geolocation) I got there extra early today. Standing by the first tee it thought I was 1.2km from the course. I tried the other side of the tee-no, I tried next to the 18green -no, I tried outside the main office -no, I tried between the club house and the office - no, I then slowly walked towards the trolley shed and finally found a place where it worked for a split second back tracked a couple of yards and yippee.

After the round sat in my car at one end of the car park. Would it recognise where I was no . When it did say Yeovil I still had to enter the club name to get my markers name and it kept going back to what club. So I drove my car to roughly the same location as I managed to get in the first place, would it work inside the car -no and so on It took me nearly half an hour to finally being able to record the markers name and get the score uploaded. Lots of network failure messages to add to my misery.

2. My marker verified the score and my H.I. updated immediately. Greato_O if I had played a comp in the same day.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How’s the phone signal?

searching for a marker can be iffy…I find search for the players name before searching for the club does help.

if you launch the app at home, does it find local clubs, just to prove geo-location services are working?

i guess I have been lucky that everywhere I have been I have been able to register rounds without issues

D

Deleted member 16999

I used it for the first time yesterday and thought it was superb, no issues finding Club, no issues finding Marker.

Finished round, Marker received notification within minutes of me completing process.

Obviously down to the location and signal and not the App itself, does the Club not have wifi in the Clubhouse you can log on to?

Boomy

Visit site
Used it once and it worked great, no probs at all.
As posted above, I wonder it it’s to do with signal/local mast location at some clubs ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used it for the first time yesterday and thought it was superb, no issues finding Club, no issues finding Marker.

Finished round, Marker received notification within minutes of me completing process.

Obviously down to the location and signal and not the App itself, does the Club not have wifi in the Clubhouse you can log on to?

Yes we have WiFi. No problems with my phone or notebook with other apps / net.

The big problem, as explained is geolocation, which is nothing to do with WiFi. It is a problem with the location of the 1st tee area and club house in relation to the satellites. My GPS unit does not work on the first hole either, we are next a tall hill with a lot of trees.
How’s the phone signal?

searching for a marker can be iffy…I find search for the players name before searching for the club does help.

if you launch the app at home, does it find local clubs, just to prove geo-location services are working?

i guess I have been lucky that everywhere I have been I have been able to register rounds without issues

As said the app shows the courses but with the wrong distances.

When I pressed the add marker it took me straight to Course name not the marker name.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes we have WiFi. No problems with my phone or notebook with other apps / net.

The big problem, as explained is geolocation, which is nothing to do with WiFi. It is a problem with the location of the 1st tee area and club house in relation to the satellites. My GPS unit does not work on the first hole either, we are next a tall hill with a lot of trees.

As said the app shows the courses but with the wrong distances.

When I pressed the add marker it took me straight to Course name not the marker name.
Can you not create the scorecard at home prior to playing and then close it at home once you’ve finished?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I pressed the add marker it took me straight to Course name not the marker name

aye, but if you type in the surname first, and then search for the course, it seems
to work a treat. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

sounds like it’s a ‘club location’ issue though as you say GPS devices don’t pick up the location either. Back to using your ISV to load general play scores when at home

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you not create the scorecard at home prior to playing and then close it at home once you’ve finished?

There is a stage in the create scorecard that requires you to be at the golf course, it is this stage that is very problematic where I play and what you do beforehand is quite quick anyway.

I do not know about closing at home - anybody else done this?

D

Deleted member 16999

There is a stage in the create scorecard that requires you to be at the golf course, it is this stage that is very problematic where I play and what you do beforehand is quite quick anyway.

I do not know about closing at home - anybody else done this?
Are you sure there is a stage that requires you to be at the Golf Course, I live 1.5km from my Course and it let me create a scorecard and “start round” while sat on the couch.

I thought I read somewhere once you create a round you have a period of time to complete it.

I’d agree there must be some sort of positioning confirmation happening somewhere along the process, but not sure where or how.?‍♂️

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure there is a stage that requires you to be at the Golf Course, I live 1.5km from my Course and it let me create a scorecard and “start round” while sat on the couch.

I thought I read somewhere once you create a round you have a period of time to complete it.

I’d agree there must be some sort of positioning confirmation happening somewhere along the process, but not sure where or how.?‍♂️

Yes sure. The stage mine kept freezing at was - proceed, followed by an error message 'you must be at the golf course to continue' (or similar). The app was showing me at 1.2km from the course despite standing around the first tee/clubhouse/office.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

From the EG instructions

In order to protect the integrity of the handicap system, please note the following:

• Geo-location technology will ensure pre-registering the intent to post a score can only be done in close proximity to the course where the round will take place
  • A time lag will be in operation from the point where intent to play a round is registered to the stage when a score can be accepted

there is no mention of where to input and upload the score.