eBay question

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a bid in on an item which is winning, it's asking me if I want to increase my winning bid.
If I increase it will it only kick in if any other bids overtake mine and will my original bid stay in place and not be increased ??

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ended up going to way more than I was willing to pay so didn't bother, strange that it went for more than it was starting at on the other previous auctions, guess it down to who sees it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ended up going to way more than I was willing to pay so didn't bother, strange that it went for more than it was starting at on the other previous auctions, guess it down to who sees it.
Definitely a little random about what otherwise similar things go for.
I got slightly 'burned' in an early Ebay purchase and now use a 'Snipe' program to place my max bid a few seconds before an item close. If my max bid is not enough, then tough.

Funt1m3

Visit site
Definitely a little random about what otherwise similar things go for.
I got slightly 'burned' in an early Ebay purchase and now use a 'Snipe' program to place my max bid a few seconds before an item close. If my max bid is not enough, then tough.
You don’t have to say what program, but are these easy to implement? I used to really like eBay but the bloody time waste was crazy with a last second “snipe” put me off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You don’t have to say what program, but are these easy to implement? I used to really like eBay but the bloody time waste was crazy with a last second “snipe” put me off.
Yes! It was the timewasting that really got to me.
I use the free version of Justsnipe, but there are plenty of others.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
In my experience the snipe can be a disadvantage. If you've got your maximum bid in & someone snipes, say, £1 lower than your maximum, the auction is over before the sniper can enter another bid. I always just put in my absolute maximum & sit back & wait.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In my experience the snipe can be a disadvantage. If you've got your maximum bid in & someone snipes, say, £1 lower than your maximum, the auction is over before the sniper can enter another bid. I always just put in my absolute maximum & sit back & wait.
That possibility (never happened to me) doesn't outweigh the benefits imo. If someone is to prepared to increase a snipe, they should have set the snipe value a bit higher in the first place! Avoiding that 'oh let's try a slightly higher bid' is one of the benefits of sniping.
I do always add the minimum increment at my snipe value to my snipe bid (at least for those items I'm particularly keen on) to ensure my 'bid' is not rejected for being too little more than existing one.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I decide upon the maximum I'm prepared to pay and hit the "confirm" button with 5 secs to go.
Did that last night on a Cobra 20d hybrid. My max was £23.78 and I got it for £14. I'll be collecting it later this week as the seller is only 15 mins away.
If someone had bid more then it would rightfully be theirs, no disappointment from me, that's the nature of this type of auction.
Doesn't make any difference to me if they used a program or app to assist their bidding, because I have decided the maximum I'm prepared to pay and I don't give myself any time to change my mind. I've been looking for this club for several months and previous ones (about 10) have all gone higher than I've been prepared to pay long before the end of the auction. So this is the first one I have actually bid for. There are others with fixed prices of £40 and upwards - I'm happy to let the owner keep them.
I've got a Cobra f-speed driver and 16d hybrid bought second hand in 2010 for £25 each. Not very old at the time. The 20d hybrid has same shaft as the 16d but a slightly newer model head.
All three will be in my bag next time out - when we get all 18 holes open.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still my fav eBay selling experience is when someone in the last few seconds (prob snipe) put in the bid for £30 on shoes I was selling

Buy them now was £25 lol

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Putting the initial bid in, when using a snipe or not, does mean you are showing your interest, inviting others to outbid you and raising the price compared with coming in at the last seconds.
It just depends what suits you. It is a game really.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
That possibility (never happened to me) doesn't outweigh the benefits imo. If someone is to prepared to increase a snipe, they should have set the snipe value a bit higher in the first place! Avoiding that 'oh let's try a slightly higher bid' is one of the benefits of sniping.
I do always add the minimum increment at my snipe value to my snipe bid (at least for those items I'm particularly keen on) to ensure my 'bid' is not rejected for being too little more than existing one.
Has happened to me a couple of times. I think that there's at least one sniper for any popular item and the fact is that, no matter how near the end of the auction he bids, if your bid is higher you win.

Funt1m3

Visit site
I think maybe because “back in the day” I think I used to find bargains. So I’d line up a particular club or something thinking I could get this for a steal because of fewer footfall. Now any “bargains” no longer exist in those final 30 seconds. Maybe it’s the internet telling me not to be such a cheapskate

RichA

Visit site
I usually put in an early hopeful bid then go in with what I'm actually prepared to pay in the dying seconds.
For some reason I find it rude when someone's only bid is placed with 2 seconds to go.