eBay question

D

Deleted member 23270

OK dumb question time. What is the difference between a sniping programme and submitting a max bid? Surely you set a maximum in the sniping programme?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK dumb question time. What is the difference between a sniping programme and submitting a max bid? Surely you set a maximum in the sniping programme?

the time you submit your bid doesnt give someone else a chance to bid again so arguably you are more likely to win the item than if you have put your bid in early people can keep increasing their bid

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still my fav eBay selling experience is when someone in the last few seconds (prob snipe) put in the bid for £30 on shoes I was selling

Buy them now was £25 lol

I often put in a very low bid to get rid of BINs in case somebody uses it then wait for the dying seconds to put in what I am prepared to pay.

Lots of people are clearly unaware that BIN is deleted after a bid.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A sniping program doesn't actually register the bid until just before the listing closes.
With a Max Bid, your bid is registered as soon as you make it - but only up to enough to become the high bidder (or to your max value if it is not greater than someone else's max bid - which is bumped up sufficiently to stay high bidder).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One aspect a sniping programme means you do not need to be there when the auction ends whereas bidding in the dying seconds means you need to be there.

I have watched many an auction that is being shill bid, using a second identity to keep bidding to find out your or others maximum and deleting the bid once it becomes the winning bid.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A sniping program doesn't actually register the bid until just before the listing closes.
With a Max Bid, your bid is registered as soon as you make it - but only up to enough to become the high bidder (or to your max value if it is not greater than someone else's max bid - which is bumped up sufficiently to stay high bidder).
What you also have to remember is that if your early bid & the sniper's maximum are the same you win because the early bid trumps a later one of the same amount.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
One aspect a sniping programme means you do not need to be there when the auction ends whereas bidding in the dying seconds means you need to be there.

I have watched many an auction that is being shill bid, using a second identity to keep bidding to find out your or others maximum and deleting the bid once it becomes the winning bid.
Are you sure you can withdraw a bid so easily & quickly? I don't think you can.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I often put in a very low bid to get rid of BINs in case somebody uses it then wait for the dying seconds to put in what I am prepared to pay.

Lots of people are clearly unaware that BIN is deleted after a bid.
Not universally. Some categories it stays until a bid above 50% of BIN is registeed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure you can withdraw a bid so easily & quickly? I don't think you can.

You can if it is your own 'identity' ( or at least you used to able to do it). The seller used to need to agree to the bid withdrawal which if it is the same person is very easy to do.

Used to be a lot easier to spot when the full user name could be seen.