ebay frustrations

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
So I agree a price for mizuno tp9 1&2 irons with a guy on eBay and was waiting for him to relist them as they were part of a full set.
i kept checking for them and didn't see anything so emailed the guy asking what's up as there's a titliest driving iron finishing soon only to be told he'd sold them to someone else as I didn't buy them and he's denined we agreed a price!
I assume he got a better price even though he suggested the price!

D

Deleted member 18588

I realise that it doesn't help you but I can assure you it works both ways.
In my early days on eBay I agreed a Buy it Now price with a buyer for a club I had listed on an auction basis.
Naively I closed the listing and sent him an invoice for the agreed price.
Guess what? I never heard anything from him. He didn't respond to any communications and I had the hassle of re-listing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I realise that it doesn't help you but I can assure you it works both ways.
In my early days on eBay I agreed a Buy it Now price with a buyer for a club I had listed on an auction basis.
Naively I closed the listing and sent him an invoice for the agreed price.
Guess what? I never heard anything from him. He didn't respond to any communications and I had the hassle of re-listing.

IN the early days it was a ploy used by some sellers who had the same item for sale to reduce the competition. If there were no bids I used to raise the starting price to the offer price and ask them to bids and I would close auction early. In that way they got a strike against them if they did not pay.

U

User62651

Been ebaying a long time, get to expect things happening as the OP describes, set your expectations on ebay pretty low to start. there will always be another similar item along soon if a seller messes you about, dont get drawn into a bidding war, know your limit and be patient.
I'm selling a large item at the moment with local collection option only stated, have relisted 3 times now due to people bidding from afar (2 from USA), is very annoying, says in bold 'no postage, local collection only, no couriers' etc etc but to no avail. Guy from Kent offered twice with no intention of collectiing, had to add him to my banned bidder list, cheekily suggested what's the difference between him collectiing or arrannging a courier himself? Had to message saying no packaging box, item heavy, recovering from surgery so cant take apart or lift, having to stay off work to wait for couriers who dont show up, low cost on item is there for convenience of local buyer collection - if I wanted to include couriers I could have a wider market and get a good bit more for it, but I just want rid with someone local coming to collect. Annoying ebay but has many plusses too and I'll continue using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
EBay these days is great for buying and lousy for selling 🤔 too many wasters out there.

That sphock seems a better option for selling being free (the best part)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The change of behaviour of people on pages like eBay is the reason why companies buying used at lower prices works. You might get less if you sell or pay more if you buy, but for some people it is worth not having the hassle.

Can you get what you need from AG used or other trusted 2nd hand places?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The change of behaviour of people on pages like eBay is the reason why companies buying used at lower prices works. You might get less if you sell or pay more if you buy, but for some people it is worth not having the hassle.

Can you get what you need from AG used or other trusted 2nd hand places?

being left handed limits were I can get the older bladed irons I like