Easiest courses in Northumberland?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a trip planned with the society, lots of high handicappers who struggle to get 150 off the tee and hit it straight. We need a couple of easy ish courses to play, one lad suggested Longhirst but I know the Lakes course is definitely nails.
Where would you recommend?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arcot Hall is fairly easy
You forgot to add a smiley there. I'm hoping you forgot.

Back to serious suggestions......I'm going to suggest open rather than easy on the basis that these shouldn't beat you up even if you don't score well.

Longhirst, The Dawson (absolutely not The Lakes, no, no , no)

Burgham Park

Warkworth. It's a 9 hole course but would fit the brief.

Not quite Northumberland but how about Gosforth GC, the Bridlepath?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bridlepath is a good shout, guess it depends where you are thinking of staying?

Never played either, but aren’t Morpeth and Rothbury meant to be pretty straightforward? Blyth would fall into that category as well.

Hexham is decent.

Percy Wood is easy but a bit rubbish.

Guess you want to avoid links courses as all are tough if the wind gets up?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was just about to add Rothbury to my list but was beaten to it. That's a great shout, probably the most suitable of them all.

Percy Wood is flat out rubbish, avoid.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We’re staying in Morpeth I believe, I’ll check out Rothbury and Morpeth?
One of the lads reckons Longhirst The Dawson is really tight ?
Rothbury is easier than morpeth. Morpeth isn't easy, it's a decent course. Not the hardest but not easy.

I wouldn't say The Dawson is tight. It is quite long though. There are better suggestions than there now.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Found dunstanburgh fairly forgiving and they do a cracking bait and round deal
Played it twice in the last year. Both times it was blowing a gale and it was a real battle. There was 28 of us last time, some of them very good single figure handicappers, 30 points was the winning score.

If you get a nice day with no wind, it would be pretty straightforward, but if the wind is up, it’s a struggle, same as any other links course.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Played it twice in the last year. Both times it was blowing a gale and it was a real battle. There was 28 of us last time, some of them very good single figure handicappers, 30 points was the winning score.

If you get a nice day with no wind, it would be pretty straightforward, but if the wind is up, it’s a struggle, same as any other links course.

that's probably a fair point wind was non existent when we played

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Played many of the courses mentioned earlier on numerous visits to the area, in my opinion I would recommend Bergham Park, I thought it was a decent course with wide open fairways, also very reasonably priced as was Rothbury.

Played at Percy Wood, maybe it was because I was on holiday but I didn't find it that bad.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Dunstanburgh Caters for all abilities imo…well except for those wild off the tee.

seahouses too. I hear bamburgh is short but not played it. Foxton hall is very fair too.

Springveldt

Visit site
Arcot Hall is fairly easy
:unsure: You sure we played the same course? If you aren't straight off the tee then you better bring a box of balls with you. It's a very easy walk though since it's pretty flat all the way round.

Got a trip planned with the society, lots of high handicappers who struggle to get 150 off the tee and hit it straight. We need a couple of easy ish courses to play, one lad suggested Longhirst but I know the Lakes course is definitely nails.
Where would you recommend?
Played Dunstanburgh a couple of months ago and if the wind isn't blowing I think it would be a great course for your society as it's pretty open and they would get a lot of roll out. If it's windy though, good luck.

I've only played Burgham Park once (think @Lord Tyrion use to play there) and if memory serves right the fairways were pretty generous but it might be a bit long for some even off the yellows.

DCB

Visit site
Stopped off at Dunstanburgh Cast,e yesterday and the place was very busy. Good to see the club doing so well before the main holiday season kicks in. Course was in great summer nick. Fairways running hard and fast, but greens obviously being watered and looked very smooth as a result. A favourite of mine in this area.

Visit site
Didn’t play it but walked the 9 hole in Alnmouth a few years ago and thought it looked great, spanning a stunning coast line. The fairways from what I can remember didn’t look too tight and a couple of the players I spoke to on first tee were high handicappers who’d not long joined the club. Others who have played it could offer a clearer view but I’d be tempted to play it just for the scenery.

DCB

Visit site
Didn’t play it but walked the 9 hole in Alnmouth a few years ago and thought it looked great, spanning a stunning coast line. The fairways from what I can remember didn’t look too tight and a couple of the players I spoke to on first tee were high handicappers who’d not long joined the club. Others who have played it could offer a clearer view but I’d be tempted to play it just for the scenery.

If that is Alnmouth Village GC then it is certainly worth a visit. Not played it for a while, but saw it last week and it was busy and looking in good condition.