Early release drill

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not suggesting the pump drill is a way to play golf. It's a drill to help people hold onto their wrist hinge into the delivery position. You saw the video I posted from 'Me and my golf' I think they have an idea of what they're talking about.

Also this bloke has done a bit:
That's not the same 'pump drill' as the M&MG one! Where's the 'pump'?
Looks a good drill though.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not suggesting the pump drill is a way to play golf. It's a drill to help people hold onto their wrist hinge into the delivery position. You saw the video I posted from 'Me and my golf' I think they have an idea of what they're talking about.

Also this bloke has done a bit:
For every one of these you post I can find one that says the opposite. As with all YouTube golf videos. Perhaps people who watch them and try them (people on this forum) can say if they have had any success trying to hold lag "long term"

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For every one of these you post I can find one that says the opposite. As with all YouTube golf videos. Perhaps people who watch them and try them (people on this forum) can say if they have had any success trying to hold lag
Crossfield has always been a fierce critic of lag and those looking for it in the swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Crossfield has always been a fierce critic of lag and those looking for it in the swing

I agree.
Those looking for more lag often end up getting too steep an angle of attack, normally from out to in producing a fade/slice/pull.
If anything, focus on a good wrist hinge on the backswing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not about lag per se, it's about stopping you casting from the top which I would imagine no one wants to do. Almost everyone creates an amount of wrist hinge in the back swing, if it is thrown away early in the transition then the result will be a lack of power that is often accompanied by fat or thin shots. The drill I prefer to help golfers stop casting is the pump drill such that it helps in preventing an early unhinging. When using the drill you should not stop sequencing your movements that produce a good impact position, I don't think anyone has suggested you just pump your arms up and down with rigid legs, hips and shoulders, that would be stupid.
The object of the drill isn't a way to create massive wrist lag, it's to help people to stop casting.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've been working all week at the range on uncocking my wrists as early as possible on the downswing, as recommended by Jim Hardy & Jack Nicklaus. When I remember to combine this with a fast swing down with the arms, shoulders & upper body I get a really good strike & more distance than usual. When I forget the second bit, old habits die hard, the ball goes severely left. I'm convinced that early release is not the problem but, as someone above said, sequencing is the answer.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I agree.
Those looking for more lag often end up getting too steep an angle of attack, normally from out to in producing a fade/slice/pull.
If anything, focus on a good wrist hinge on the backswing.

If I try to get lag, as recommended by Bobby Clampett in "The Impact Zone" I just hit everything too high with tons of spin. This also happens if I go for a big wrist hinge (also recommended by BC). I never consciously hinge my wrists at all, just let it happen naturally. When I look at most pros, especially those with shortish swings, it looks like that's what they're doing too.