Early release drill

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone have any effective drills for working on this? Ones that have helped you personally?

Something simple that I can repeat for many hours without hitting balls during the winter, indoors, at home would be ideal.

I play of 8.1 and ball striking is ok for the most part but I can guarantee that I will throw in a few bad shots each round caused by early release so want to try to eliminate it once and for all.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately there are many reasons that one would early release. Recommending a drill would be pointless without knowing whats causing it. From experience "the early release" is a symptom. you need to fix the problem not the symptom

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately there are many reasons that one would early release. Recommending a drill would be pointless without knowing whats causing it. From experience "the early release" is a symptom. you need to fix the problem not the symptom

I agree to a point but if you can maintain the angle of your pelvic tilt at address, throughout the backswing and into impact, that will help

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I dont want to get too technical, but releasing later may just cure the problem - but I am no expert ?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont want to get too technical, but releasing later may just cure the problem - but I am no expert ?

That's genius Chris cheers ?

I found a video on YouTube from Adam Bazalgette, basically its a simple drill/swing thought to get the handle of the club past the ball before the clubhead. Worked a treat on the range and seems to prevent a very early release at least.?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I found a video on YouTube from Adam Bazalgette, basically its a simple drill/swing thought to get the handle of the club past the ball before the clubhead. Worked a treat on the range and seems to prevent a very early release at least.?

Be careful your angle of attack doesn't get too steep

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I rather like Adam's swing tips, I hope it works for you ??

I really also like the swing tips of Mike Malaska on YouTube, this is a really good one and I've played for quite a while doing it, even before I saw his video, I've rarely hit my irons better and it's so easy.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To me early release is caused by hitting early from the top. The only drill I know is the 'Pump Drill' (look it up on YouTube) It drills you to let the club fall into the slot before releasing it through impact.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Is this the problem? Jim Hardy advises that you should start uncocking the wrists as early as possible in the downswing. He quotes Jack Nicklaus as saying he does this and I think Hogan may have said the same. The problem I have, which appears to be early release, is that I don't get my arms & upper body moving fast enough & the hands get to the ball first, resulting in left misses &, in extreme cases, complete smothers. If I make sure that everything is turning fast towards the ball I can release the club as fast as I want.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably the biggest fault in golf. Personally I've never seen a pump drill work long term because it fixes the problem not the cause. Peter cowen said in almost all cases early release and casting comes from poor sequence. I'm inclined to agree. I was chronic and I mean chronic early releaser. Putting the squat move into my golf swing made a world of difference as it allowed the natural sequence to happen without any thought.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably the biggest fault in golf. Personally I've never seen a pump drill work long term because it fixes the problem not the cause. Peter cowen said in almost all cases early release and casting comes from poor sequence. I'm inclined to agree. I was chronic and I mean chronic early releaser. Putting the squat move into my golf swing made a world of difference as it allowed the natural sequence to happen without any thought.
I disagree.
The OP is saying he has a problem with bad shots due to an early release.

Early releasing tends to be due to a desire to hit from the top which will create poor sequencing along with fat and thin shots depending how your brain makes you bail out of the shot.

The solution is a more progressive application of speed in the transition so the club can get into a good delivery position where it can be released into the ball effectively.

The Pump Drill will help to train you to stop hitting from the top and slow the transition.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree.
The OP is saying he has a problem with bad shots due to an early release.

Early releasing tends to be due to a desire to hit from the top which will create poor sequencing along with fat and thin shots depending how your brain makes you bail out of the shot.

The solution is a more progressive application of speed in the transition so the club can get into a good delivery position where it can be released into the ball effectively.

The Pump Drill will help to train you to stop hitting from the top and slow the transition.
We're saying the same thing. Sequence is the key. What peter cowen was saying is the the pump drill encourages the hands first and creates a "false fix". The guy knows a thing or two

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We're saying the same thing. Sequence is the key. What peter cowen was saying is the the pump drill encourages the hands first and creates a "false fix". The guy knows a thing or two
When I say 'sequencing' I'm referring to the sequence the way the wrists are released and an early release is related to this.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I say 'sequencing' I'm referring to the sequence the way the wrists are released and an early release is related to this.
I've got to disagree mate. You can't be in control of the release from the hands. Even Eddie Hall hasnt got the strength. I spent 10 years on this using false lag. It wasn't until someone actually looked at the problem that fixed it. Making sure the body is in sequence is key to eliminating early release. That's not just my opinion btw

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got to disagree mate. You can't be in control of the release from the hands. Even Eddie Hall hasnt got the strength. I spent 10 years on this using false lag. It wasn't until someone actually looked at the problem that fixed it. Making sure the body is in sequence is key to eliminating early release. That's not just my opinion btw
Please understand that I'm not saying there isnt a sequencing of the body in a golf swing, you don't just stand there and swing your wrists.
Early release is a fault where the club is cast early which prevents the club creating the correct AOA onto the ball. The wrists are the major contributor on how the club is delivered and how speed is created. Someone that releases their wrist angles early are throwing away a major power accumulator and will find it extremely difficult to make decent impact conditions. Of course the body assists in allowing the arms and hands to do their job but most speed is created by them.
Also I'm not the only person to believe this.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please understand that I'm not saying there isnt a sequencing of the body in a golf swing, you don't just stand there and swing your wrists.
Early release is a fault where the club is cast early which prevents the club creating the correct AOA onto the ball. The wrists are the major contributor on how the club is delivered and how speed is created. Someone that releases their wrist angles early are throwing away a major power accumulator and will find it extremely difficult to make decent impact conditions. Of course the body assists in allowing the arms and hands to do their job but most speed is created by them.
I get that mate. I suppose what I'm trying to say is when you swing an axe or baseball bat do you worry about early release or casting? The answer is no because you feet are able to move so its almost impossible to get the sequence wrong. The brain is amazing, if you don't create power the correct way your brain will do what it can to get the power from somewhere. Hence the cast. Trying to hold the wrists with pump drills is the tail trying to wag the dog.

I'm not saying you don't hit the ball with your hands. I'm saying if you don't swing in a way that promotes or sequence. Or a fault that blocks it (like an open clubface). Then no amount of anything is going to stop the cast

I'm friends with alot of teaching pros and non of them have had success with stopping a early release by holding or pumping. Believe me I asked. I almost gave up golf because of it

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Indeed.
It's a drill to encourage a better downswing, not a cure in/of itself. Cowan's spiral staircase approach to the swing is more realistic should eliminate the need for the pump drill to be necessary, as the arms naturally lag behind the rest of the body.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get that mate. I suppose what I'm trying to say is when you swing an axe or baseball bat do you worry about early release or casting? The answer is no because you feet are able to move so its almost impossible to get the sequence wrong. The brain is amazing, if you don't create power the correct way your brain will do what it can to get the power from somewhere. Hence the cast. Trying to hold the wrists with pump drills is the tail trying to wag the dog.

I'm not saying you don't hit the ball with your hands. I'm saying if you don't swing in a way that promotes or sequence. Or a fault that blocks it (like an open clubface). Then no amount of anything is going to stop the cast

I'm friends with alot of teaching pros and non of them have had success with stopping a early release by holding or pumping. Believe me I asked. I almost gave up golf because of it
I'm not suggesting the pump drill is a way to play golf. It's a drill to help people hold onto their wrist hinge into the delivery position. You saw the video I posted from 'Me and my golf' I think they have an idea of what they're talking about.

Also this bloke has done a bit: