E scooters.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This type of E Scooter looks a good way to commute.
https://www.niu.com/en/product/n-gt
I have the MQi GT Long Range. Bought it 2 months ago, commuting twice a week right into the centre of London. 25 km each way.

Costs me 47p to commute, no congestion charge, no ulez charge, free parking. Train is a zone 1 to 6 travel card for £13.50.

Will take me a while to save the money back, though.

Last edited:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I have the MQi GT Long Range. Bought it 2 months ago, commuting twice a week right into the centre of London. 25 km each way.

Costs me 47p to commute, no congestion charge, no ulez charge, free parking. Train is a zone 1 to 6 travel card for £13.50.

Will take me a while to save the money back, though.
If I'm looking at the correct thing, and appreciate the terms may be being re-defined, I would call that an electric moped.
Does it have a "number plate", and do you go on the road?
Impressive commute costs!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If new stuff like this wasn't held back we wouldn't be in such a mess climate wise.

Just stick to what we trust because it works no regards to what we been doing to get there rather than truly try and change

It's a great idea, everything is dangerous in the wrong hands..just need education

No, not just education.It also needs the legislation enforced.
These are mechanically propelled vehicles used on a road as defined under RTA, and unless the law has recently changed, users on such roads ( which includes pavements) need insurance etc.
From what I have seen, a lot of users would be privately owned units being hurtled around roads and pavements, weaving in and out etc.
However, I agree with you that any licensed and properly documented user "driving " them properly is helping the carbon situation and they are thus a useful new form of transport.
But I suspect that not enough action is forthcoming when police see most users , who need to be pulled to see if the laws are being complied with.
This is on the understanding that Road Traffic laws have not been changed which allows riding of those things in the manner I have too often seen.

present

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, not just education.It also needs the legislation enforced.
These are mechanically propelled vehicles used on a road as defined under RTA, and unless the law has recently changed, users on such roads ( which includes pavements) need insurance etc.
From what I have seen, a lot of users would be privately owned units being hurtled around roads and pavements, weaving in and out etc.
However, I agree with you that any licensed and properly documented user "driving " them properly is helping the carbon situation and they are thus a useful new form of transport.
But I suspect that not enough action is forthcoming when police see most users , who need to be pulled to see if the laws are being complied with.
This is on the understanding that Road Traffic laws have not been changed which allows riding of those things in the manner I have too often seen.

present
There is a double standard here.
They are legal if part of a government scheme.
But private ownership isn’t.

Needs sorting out = they are or they are not.
I have seen so many near misses at the hospital junction by mine it’s scary.
Not for me stick to my pushbike.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

It's about insurance..
The hire scooters come with insurance, it's part of the hire cost.
Private ones won't have any insurance, although if someone did pay for their own insurance it would be tricky to take them off the road.

On a side note..It's my understanding that you need, at least, a provisional driving licence to hire one...
Well I've seen kids who are nowhere near 16 riding the hire ones...must be using Mum's licence.....so, again, technically illegal.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's about insurance..
Private ones won't have any insurance, although if someone did pay for their own insurance it would be tricky to take them off the road.

On a side note..It's my understanding that you need, at least, a provisional driving licence to hire one...
Well I've seen kids who are nowhere near 16 riding the hire ones...must be using Mum's licence.....so, again, technically illegal.
Be interesting to see a quote for one of these.
If you can get one.
Thing about insurance is it’s no good to you if your dead, but it will compensate the scooter owner.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's about insurance..

Using anyone else's licence isn't "technically illegal"?, it's all sorts of illegal- conspiracy, by mum and boy, etc etc.
As has been said, it needs sorting. How anyone can just turn up , use a phone to hire one of these off the street should never have got off the drawing board.
Seems to me enough to suspect a big failure by the authorities somewhere, all
in the name of technical progress .
Is there anyone here an expert on how these schemes work, or are meant to work. I just can't see how they can put in sufficient safeguards to prevent abuse?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

Wasn’t there a segment in the queens speech about making them legal? I didn’t follow it, just seem to remember a headline about it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liz must be thinking of getting one .
Would help with mobility issues.
I had a go on one when I was in Liverpool recently, on the big wide promenade by the Albert Dock. No one around, a big straight path. Blimey they are hard work to get going. Not sure Liz has the leg strength any more :D. Hard work and then suddenly, woosh off you go. They go at quite a lick as well. There is no way I would want to go on a road with traffic on one of those. Not before an awful lot of practice, and even then I'm not sure.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a go on one when I was in Liverpool recently, on the big wide promenade by the Albert Dock. No one around, a big straight path. Blimey they are hard work to get going. Not sure Liz has the leg strength any more :D. Hard work and then suddenly, woosh off you go. They go at quite a lick as well. There is no way I would want to go on a road with traffic on one of those. Not before an awful lot of practice, and even then I'm not sure.
Belive me if you go in the river there you are in more trouble than on the road.
Hoped you enjoyed your stay in Liverpool.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Belive me if you go in the river there you are in more trouble than on the road.
Hoped you enjoyed your stay in Liverpool.
We had a great time thanks. Sons graduation on the National weekend ?. A bit lively ?. I was one of the few blokes in liverpool that weekend not looking like an extra from Peaky Blinders ?

I made sure I was well away from the river but I couldn't claim to be fully in control. I deliberately went on one, as did my wife, when there was hardly anyone around. We were conscious of not wanting to send anyone to hospital. Much harder to use and faster than I expected.