E scooters.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly odd if that is the case. They all have GPS in them so the police could track the persons movements quite nicely (I am basing this on them being a hire scooter, not one owned by the rider)

Lol yeah they won't be hire ones..

I overtook a 12 year old (looked 12) riding one in road yesterday

Tbh it's replaced bikes in places round here.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It makes a mockery of the fact that they are not street legal. Is anyone taking any notice?

Only people taking notice are ones who could benefit ironically

Cost of travel through roof.. e scooter round here would be cracking

I've seen kids on them, school run mum's wheeling them with the kids then scooter off to wherever they need to go afters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If cycling had been taken more seriously years ago we would not have a problem.
The lack of cycle lanes make cycling dangerous.
I have a trans Pennines cycleway at the top of my road that will take me to Hull.
Yet no cycleway to Liverpool city centre 4 miles or where I was based at work (Kirkby.) 5 miles.
These e scooters would be great if the infrastructure was there but it isn’t.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 12.26.54.jpgScreenshot 2022-08-18 at 12.26.54.jpg I came across this guy on Wednesday. 30 mph speed limit, he must have gone closer to 35 to 40 to get past traffic. It wasn't slow enough for me to filter through.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We've had them on trial in MK for more than a year now. Must be 4 or 5 different companies hiring them out. I've gangs of scallies on them terrorising whoever is in their path, but have seen plenty of general joe's using them to travel quite sedately from A to B. I guess we're somewhat lucky in MK with the redways, which keep pedestrians and cyclists off the main roads. There are a few road cyclists that don't use the redways, but most do. The scooter use comes down to the user really, the young teenagers tend to be the worst riders, particularly those wearing hoods & snoods in broad daylight and 20+ degrees.....

We tried them recently, came out of Wetherspoons on a Friday night after a few pints, decided to return home via scooter instead of taxi. took 20 mins round the redways to do a 6 minute drive down the roads, but only cost £1.60 instead of the tenner it would have cost in the taxi. Found them surprisingly stable, even hitting a few bumps and potholes in the dark, neither of us came off or even felt like we would lose control. It was a lot of fun, and if ridden sensibly, I don't see a problem.

I think the serious issues will be caused by irresponsible riders on the road. From that perspective, I think there does need to be insurance and licensing of sorts, but how do you police that? Certainly when we rented them, it's done through an app, we had to upload driving license to get approved.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've had them on trial in MK for more than a year now. Must be 4 or 5 different companies hiring them out. I've gangs of scallies on them terrorising whoever is in their path, but have seen plenty of general joe's using them to travel quite sedately from A to B. I guess we're somewhat lucky in MK with the redways, which keep pedestrians and cyclists off the main roads. There are a few road cyclists that don't use the redways, but most do. The scooter use comes down to the user really, the young teenagers tend to be the worst riders, particularly those wearing hoods & snoods in broad daylight and 20+ degrees.....

We tried them recently, came out of Wetherspoons on a Friday night after a few pints, decided to return home via scooter instead of taxi. took 20 mins round the redways to do a 6 minute drive down the roads, but only cost £1.60 instead of the tenner it would have cost in the taxi. Found them surprisingly stable, even hitting a few bumps and potholes in the dark, neither of us came off or even felt like we would lose control. It was a lot of fun, and if ridden sensibly, I don't see a problem.

I think the serious issues will be caused by irresponsible riders on the road. From that perspective, I think there does need to be insurance and licensing of sorts, but how do you police that? Certainly when we rented them, it's done through an app, we had to upload driving license to get approved.
AFTER A FEW PINTS
That’s what I would call irresponsible.
And possibly against the drink driving laws.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, maybe wasn’t the best choice. Certainly not wasted at the time, won’t do it again
Mates son did the same thing few jars then a race with his mates.
Hit a pot hole and smashed his cheekbone ,dislocated elbow and a few other things.
In a way they are a great idea. But here the roads just are not good enough.
If these things are legalised they need a massive upgrading of the roads.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 43918View attachment 43918 I came across this guy on Wednesday. 30 mph speed limit, he must have gone closer to 35 to 40 to get past traffic. It wasn't slow enough for me to filter through.
Ive seen plenty of that type, but the scariest I have seen was a stand up type. It was on a dual carriage way, with a speed camera about a third of the way along for me to keep the traffic to the 40 limit. The guy on this electric "scooter" had to slow down at the speed camera, before speeding off. I reckoned he must of been doing at least 55, with no protective clothing what so ever.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mates son did the same thing few jars then a race with his mates.
Hit a pot hole and smashed his cheekbone ,dislocated elbow and a few other things.
In a way they are a great idea. But here the roads just are not good enough.
If these things are legalised they need a massive upgrading of the roads.

We have the red ways, so not on the roads apart from the odd local crossing. There were a few bumps here and there but no potholes to negotiate. I was surprised how well it handled the bigger bumps without feeling like it was trying to throw me off.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me and the misses used them to get around Budapest on a city break, fantastic! There’s one guy near where I live who will wear a HiVis vest, cycle helmet and ride along the foot path at just over walking pace while ringing a little bell to let others know of his presence and once clearing pedestrians zips off on his merry way.

IMO this is exactly they reason they were intended for yet unfortunately the principle was abused by many.

Now if we were to force them to be registered along with cyclists……

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me and the misses used them to get around Budapest on a city break, fantastic! There’s one guy near where I live who will wear a HiVis vest, cycle helmet and ride along the foot path at just over walking pace while ringing a little bell to let others know of his presence and once clearing pedestrians zips off on his merry way.

IMO this is exactly they reason they were intended for yet unfortunately the principle was abused by many.

Now if we were to force them to be registered along with cyclists……

E Scooters agree. Register them and insure them

However bikes no. Bikes are suppose to be the cheapest form (bar walking) of transport

Second hand bike and your away. £50 maybe

Opens up a world of opportunity

Kids can use them etc

No level of paper work as a barrier

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
View attachment 43918View attachment 43918 I came across this guy on Wednesday. 30 mph speed limit, he must have gone closer to 35 to 40 to get past traffic. It wasn't slow enough for me to filter through.

And that shows why they should be registered, the gantry shows a average speed check of 30mph. He is breaking the law but how can you prove it.

I am a believer in these e scooters but our infrastructure and laws are not set up for them. Exactly the same with cycle lanes.