E scooters

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm all for them, especially in big cities where there should be ample cycle lanes and parks they can be used in. I'd much prefer to whiz around London on an electric scooter than be stuck on the tube to get from place to place. Loved using them in Paris, didn't think they were dangerous if ridden sensibly (we used them loads and didn't come close to getting in any bother) and only saw 1 person have any sort of accident, and it was 100% her fault as she tried to get on incredibly slowly on a slippy, wet street and she only injured herself. There's always going to be idiots, but there are idiots in cars and on bikes, scooters aren't any more dangerous than those things.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so basically on your comprehensive experience of one incident "They should be banned and the Police should clamp down on their and all the other electric gadgets around"

as i said, stay safe in your metal box, hope no one scratches it
They should, along with the electric skateboards, hover boards (although these have dropped out of vogue) and the electric mono wheels some use.
I hope none of the pedestrians who have almost been hurt by them aren't related to you. By all means play with them on private land, just not on the public highway and footpaths.
But hey ho, who cares.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any user of the road should pay tax and insurance. IMHO.
Insurances agreed. Shouldn’t be allowed on pavements. Pretty sure they’d be £0 RFL if it carries on being emission based.
If I commuted I’d look at one, or an electric bike. Low running costs. I emissions, no paying to park ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They should, along with the electric skateboards, hover boards (although these have dropped out of vogue) and the electric mono wheels some use.
I hope none of the pedestrians who have almost been hurt by them aren't related to you. By all means play with them on private land, just not on the public highway and footpaths.
But hey ho, who cares.

And what about the pedestrians, cyclists and other car users that have been injured (or worse) by cars/vans/trucks etc? Should cars and other motor vehicles just be to be played with on private land too?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And what about the pedestrians, cyclists and other car users that have been injured (or worse) by cars/vans/trucks etc? Should cars and other motor vehicles just be to be played with on private land too?
Don't be silly. If they want to allow them, restrict them to cycles lanes only with a legal requirement to have some sort of identification on them and third party insurance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Found them a bit of a problem when we were in Brisbane last year. They were everywhere and being driven at speed. They have a lot of scooter/bike lanes but often these are just a marked side of the footpath/pavement. And if you thoughtlessly drift into their lane...:(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't be silly. If they want to allow them, restrict them to cycles lanes only with a legal requirement to have some sort of identification on them and third party insurance.

How would they be different from electric bikes that don't need any of what you just said

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In Munich they have a hire scheme, like the one being mentioned by the OP. I didn't se them scattered around but maybe that is a German mentality thing. The big difference there was that they have dedicated cycle lanes as part of the pavement so people could ride them safely. There you have distinct road, split pavements so things work well. The big problem here is that we share too many parts of the equation and mixing rarely ends well. I can only see problems if they legalise them in the UK.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
These things are stupid as a means of transport.

The wheels are too small for the condition of our roads, hitting a pot hole, pavement crack etc will make it directionally unstable and at <8mph uncontrollable. The lack of sensible braking capability means they will be hazards at junctions, pedestrain crossings etc,etc.

They offer the rider zero protection and being stood vertically any impact is likely to result in significant head or kneck injuries and lacerations to arms,wrists etc

Users will probably need/want to carry backpacks etc adding to instability by raising the COG.

The idea that numerous users unregistered and uninsured would interact with artics, trucks, vans and cars with any degree of safety is a complete joke. No warning lights or audible equipment just adds to the stupidity.

Fine as a novelty on private holiday parks, event etc but I cannot believe any serious transport design engineer would event consider it sensible.

Great fun yes but utterly dangerous in urban rush hour. Surgeons often call motorcyclists 'spare parts' I foresee an over supply of bits.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen a few round here recently, not sure how theyre that different to an electric bike really (assuming theyre limited the same?)

As you say though, sounds as though they want to control the legalisation, either allow them or not surely
They can be chipped though ( bikes)
I have been passed by many of these (when doing about 18mph on my bike ) Like I wasn’t moving .
The speed of them is scary and they are more like motorbikes.
They are supposed to be limited so will e scooters be as easy to chip?
30mph on the pavement is not safe.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My family used them when we went to Lisbon last Summer - granted it was better in pedestrianised boulevards or the water side promenade (we didn't go on the road) - loads of space and no suggestion of any accidents/near misses. Very much part of the culture and i thought they were great.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My family used them when we went to Lisbon last Summer - granted it was better in pedestrianised boulevards or the water side promenade (we didn't go on the road) - loads of space and no suggestion of any accidents/near misses. Very much part of the culture and i thought they were great.
In the right environment I would agree.
But most of the UK is not ready for them .
Well Liverpool isn’t anyway.